Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well I called the dealer Sat.to ask if the sensor (P0406)was covered and they told me no.So I was just asking them how much is it to replace the sensor and of cause they told me that (P0406) could mean 100 diffrent things that could be wrong.I told him I thought when this code was showing on my screen its telling me exactly which sensor should be changed and thats the sensor that I am having a problem with.I guess the question I am asking is, can it be 100 diffrent things or are they just bullsh**ting me like always!Thanks

·
Administrator
23,436 Posts
I wouldn't say it could be 100 different things, but the EGR is the likely cause. What the dealer is saying is to diagnose the problem properly requires the ScanTool diagnostic test to determine if it's an electrical fault or a bad sensor.

P0406-EGR POSITION SENSOR CIRCUIT HIGH

Bernie

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Rambit.The problem is on Fri.while stuck in traffic the car stalled out on the highway.I got it to start again and it didnt happen since.Maybe its the gas I been putting in or the sensor bad.Just trying to get and idea so I dont get robbed when I bring the car in.

·
Premium Member
4,541 Posts
It is a common misconception, but a code does NOT tell you exactly what part needs to be replaced - - on ANY car. A "EGR" code could mean that the EGR valve itself is bad, or that the EGR position sensor is bad, or a related relay is bad, or simply a bad connection someplace..... or a clogged exhaust port leading to the EGR valve.... you get the idea.

The code simply tells a qualified technician where to start. There is a reason that a professional technican's scan tool costs $5,000 - - it's much more than a code reader. Then you have to have the knowledge of how the system works or that $5000 tool is little more than a paper weight.

If your car is out of warranty, you would probably be better off to take it to an independent shop that specializes in driveability issues and newer vehicles. Many times the service department at dealerships is only there because it has to be (which is a dumb on their part since a GOOD service department could be quite profitable) while the independent shop has no other source of income; all they do is fix cars.

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys again,and thank you kevenj for making it much clearer for me.I will keep you updated after the car goes into the shop.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts