Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What’s up guys I got a 2012 5.7 300c with a stage 2 comp cam I was wondering if any of you guys have recommendations on what gear ratio I should go. Would like something for rolls and occasional digs thanks.

·
Registered
898 Posts
I'd say it depends mostly on the cam timing (power RPM range) , any other mods., and the type driving you'll be doing most of the time. Most performance cams tend to kill at least a little of the low RPM range in favor of better mid and top RPM ranges. If you're going to do a lot of highway driving you'll probably not want to go with a gear no lower than about 3.3-3.5. I've found with all 3 of my Hemi's (two 5.7's and one 6.1), all with mild performance cams, they work best with either stock or slightly lower gear ratios. My two LX's both run 3.06's and my WK runs the stock 3.70's. I've also found that modifying the up and down shift schedules helps eliminate some the need for lower rear end gears. Does yours have the 8 speed transmission or the Mercedes NAG1 five speed? With an 8 speed the gear ratios are all relatively close to each other so you probably wouldn't have to do much at all. With the 5 speed though you'd want to raise the shift points to higher RPM (to an RPM closer to the cam's power curve) and the raise the down shifts to a point that it takes very little more throttle to force a down shift. In other words......more throttle equals more downshifts within the power range. Over the stock settings, this makes a tremendous difference and keeps the engine RPM in or near the power range almost all of the time.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.