Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys...just wanted to reach out to everyone for some specific feedback.

I've installed Corsa catbacks, JBL shorty headers, a cold air intake and had the car dyno tuned with my Diablo Predator. It seems to be running nicely, but I am looking for a little more "ooomf".

On other threads, a few of you mentioned cam shafts and stated that a "cam-only" upgrade is still a prettty decent gain. I don't have enough $ for a full cam AND head install but want to do the cam and re-tune this month.

1) Is a "cam-only" upgrade still a good mod ? Will I see a noticeable difference ?
2) Which part do I get ?? I see several models but am more curious about the "grind" (210/216 560/544, 212/218 546/555, etc.). I don't want something that will make the car idle rough. It is still my everyday car that I use for business.
3) Do I need to (or should I) replace the springs/valves ? I don't want to damage stock parts with the upgraded cam. Will replacing the springs/valves give me any more HP ?

Any feedback is greatly appreciated.

Also, any other low-cost mods I can do ??

Happy New Year, everyone, and thanks for the help !

·
Super Moderator
5,077 Posts
I did just a cam and not heads with the HHP stage 1. A very mild cam and the car is just on the border of 12's. I only run 13.2 but that has been in fairly bad air. I should have done heads at the same time. I kick myself all the time. Franks Sidewinder is also a fairly popular cam that works well

·
Banned
528 Posts
A FRI Sidewinder or HHP stage 2 would be the way I would go.....you will get the most gain out of the Sidewinder. Both cams are MDS compatible and you will see a 30-40 hp gain at the wheels.

·
Registered
3,997 Posts
I have the sidewinder, great little cam and it combined with my heads really, really woke up the car.
I would definitely at least do valve springs, just a little extra insurance to sure up your cam.

Are you installing yourself or having a shop do it??

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
As always, great feedback, gents...thank you !

It sounds like the Sidewinder or HHP are the way to go with new springs. What about valves ? Any gain or value in doing that, too ?

Also, what about Comp Cams ?

yamabob - I would love to do heads/cam at the same time. It's really just a money thing. But, based on your post, I am going to search for a low-cost head or talk to some of the vendors to see if they will do a bundled package. I don't want to have any regrets.

Any other recommendations on minor/cheap mods ?

Thanks again, everyone. I'll keep you posted as to my progress.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just an update on my project - I wound up getting the Sidewinder Cam (and springs) and will be getting the heads milled when I everything is installed. I also got a new timing chain kit and a catch can as well. Figured I should do it all at the same time. They will re-Dyno the car, too. I will keep everyone up-to-date when complete.

BTW - Any leads on where I can pick up new or used SRT8 Cats ? CA has very strict laws and doesn't allow high-flow cats, so I thought I could get the SRT units.

Thoughts or direction on that ?

Thanks again, guys !

·
Registered
3,997 Posts
Nice! You're gonna love the pull of the sidewinder, it's a real stump puller.

Check in the f/s section here and at lxf, that's assuming you have the srt headers though as the srt cats will not bolt up to 5.7 headers.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts