Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2012 Chrysler 300 SRT 8, 70,000 miles. About a year ago the CEL came on. Codes were for bank 2 position 1 and bank 2 position 2 O2 sensor. Replaced upstream sensor first. 6 weeks, or 2 months later CEL came back on. Bank 2 position 2 O2 sensor. Replaced downstream sensor. Problem fixed until about a month ago. CEL came back on. Intermittent misfire cylinder #8 . Replaced ignition coil and sparkplugs. Engine started missing. Took to a new dealer (mine closed) who I didn't know anything about. Said it had wiped a cam because one of the roller lifters had locked up. They've had the car three weeks and said it might be another three weeks, lifters are on back order. After researching this, it seems lifters are a common problem with these engines, especially the 5.7's, not so much on the 6.4's. (Maybe because the 6.4 is a rarer engine? If I had to guess the lifters are the same part number.) My question is this, could the O2 sensor problem a year ago have been a warning that this was happening, since both problems are on the same side of the engine? The car is covered under powertrain warranty, but am I going to have this problem again in another 60,000 - 80,000 miles. I'm planning on keeping this car. What recourse do I have, if any ,with Chrysler because of this. Seems like they know this is a problem. Any thoughts or comments would be appreciated.

·
Premium Member
273 Posts
I had a lifter let go at 142,000 miles. Took about 6 weeks to get the car back. 2006 6.1 I hope this is not a reoccurring event. 8K on the new cam and lifters.

·
Administrator
19,620 Posts
I doubt the O2 sensor was a precursor or indicator of anything going on upstream.

Sorry about the lifter. I hadn't heard that was a problem on the 6.4's. I know the early Gen 1 HEMI engines had a valve spring problem.

·
Premium Member
6,058 Posts
No pal... A bad O2 is no more a precursor for lifter failure than a flat tire on the same side.

I don't forsee this being an on going issue for you honestly, lifter 'failure' is not a common occurrence in the hemi, as MADDOG mentioned valve springs can fail or seats can drop (earlier 5.7) but lifters failing is not common... Now... Ticking... Sure... Lots... But most hemi cars do that!

I think you're ok... Did they do a full set of lifters or just the one?

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
cam and/or lifter wear.

Supposedly they're going to replace all of the lifters and camshaft. Don't know yet. They've had the car three weeks and say it might be another three weeks because lifters are on back order. I've been in the auto parts business, GM dealership for 30+ years, and from experience, parts that don't sell, don't go on back order. And from research, it seems that police departments are having trouble right and left with lifters in the 5.7. Bottom line, if Chrysler isn't having trouble with lifters, they would be readily available.

·
Premium Member
6,058 Posts
Supposedly they're going to replace all of the lifters and camshaft. Don't know yet. They've had the car three weeks and say it might be another three weeks because lifters are on back order. I've been in the auto parts business, GM dealership for 30+ years, and from experience, parts that don't sell, don't go on back order. And from research, it seems that police departments are having trouble right and left with lifters in the 5.7. Bottom line, if Chrysler isn't having trouble with lifters, they would be readily available.
If an item doesn't sell, it's also rarely stocked and sometimes VERY tough to get.

Take a 6.1 oil pan for example, back ordered most everywhere, not because people are having them fail so often they can't stock them... Just because they don't sell.

Honestly... If you want to stress on it we can't stop you, but yours is the first 6.4 with a bad lifter I've ever heard of outside 'hemi tick' complaints that are rarely resolved through replacement. Also your O2 has no correlation to a lifter failure... So honestly pal I don't think you have much to worry about when you do get her back. I would honestly caulk it up to a part defect and carry on...

Most valve train related issues on the 5.7 are valve seat drops, far far more common than a lifter failure. Severe duty cars may be different (LEO cars for example) due to higher idle time? But still I haven't heard of many myself.

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

Reactions: plycuda
1 - 6 of 6 Posts