Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So as some of you may know I rebuilt my engine and wanted a cam put in and it ended terrible, cant trust all mechanics.

I still have the cam but this little nipple got bent, is it salvageable or completely useless now?

Attachments

·
Registered
482 Posts
I'd have to look at it to be sure but, is it possible to straighten it using a brass or hard aluminum drift punch of some sort? Is it just bent or is it partially broken off? How did that happen? That dowel properly locates the camshaft timing gear so your cam timing will be set to the advertised timing. If you were to somehow force the gear onto it with the dowel bent like that, you'd be retarding the cam timing my a few degrees. You'd have to put a degree wheel on it to see how much. This would move your horsepower and torque curves to a slightly higher RPM. If it's not partially broken, you'd be better off trying to straighten it. If you don't have access to the correct tools to do this, take it to a local machine shop and have them either straighten it (if there are no breaks) or replace it. It shouldn't cost that much to fix. Which cam is it and what are the specs. on it......lift, duration, lobe separation angle?

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It appears to be partially cracked. The 2nd person that ended fixing the problem for me said that the 1st guy didnt place the camshaft correctly into the timing gear and it was jumping around all inside the gear causing it bend and what not. I'd have to look for the specs again.

I'm told it's a custom cut comp cam. I bought it from a guy that was parting out his stroker engine.

·
Registered
482 Posts
If you plan on using the cam again, I'd take it to a machine shop and see if they can fix it for a reasonable price. New cams, by themselves, are not outrageously priced and, if the machine cost is too much, you may just want to replace the whole cam. Go to Comp Cam's (or other camshaft vendor) web site and see what the cam alone costs and, if they want more than that to fix yours, just buy a new one.

Is your engine a 5.7 or a 6.1? If it's a 5.7, a mild aftermarket performance cam can make quite a big difference. If it's a 6.1, generally a mild performance cam won't help that much, but will usually move the horsepower/torque curve to a slightly lower RPM by using a reduced Lobe Separation Angle. In any case, with either, if it's a daily driver, you probably don't want to go too radical on the cam otherwise it could adversely affect idle quality and driveability.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts