Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After rechecking my parking at a transportation lot this morning and re-entering my car to await my train, I locked the door from the inside as usual, so nobody could open it (hey, I live near Oakland, CA...). Then it struck me, I'm sitting inside with the key so it's certainly in the "see-ability" of the remote. Wait a minute...am I actually safe?

Accordingly, it makes me wonder: does anything preclude an intruder from opening my locked car door (or locked trunk for that matter) while I'm still inside with the key since it's is obviously in close proximity to the car?

·
Administrator
19,734 Posts
As long as you've locked the doors from the inside they remain locked until 1) you open the handle from the inside, 2) you unlock them with the key fob, or 3) you unlock them at the door control.

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Great; and thank you. I thought it'd probably be something like that for security purposes. I just had a feeling that if I unrolled my window and said to a fellow commuter, "Hey, would you please try to open my door?" - that it wouldn't go over too well. haha ;-)

·
Registered
558 Posts
As long as you've locked the doors from the inside they remain locked until 1) you open the handle from the inside, 2) you unlock them with the key fob, or 3) you unlock them at the door control.
The Gen 2 can be unlocked just by touching the inner part of either front door handle if you have the key.

I don't know if it will work if the key is inside, though (I'm pretty sure it doesn't). I do know that you do need to have the key nearby; if the person holding the key is by the driver's door it won't unlock if someone touches the passenger handle.

·
Registered
558 Posts
Great; and thank you. I thought it'd probably be something like that for security purposes. I just had a feeling that if I unrolled my window and said to a fellow commuter, "Hey, would you please try to open my door?" - that it wouldn't go over too well. haha ;-)
Or, you could unroll your window, and try the door handle yourself. Don't know if that would do anything or not.

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
HA - Gawd I feel like an idiot. You're right; I absolutely COULD do that. Thanks Cosmo.

P.S. So what is it like to actually own and USE a brain....?

·
Registered
562 Posts
The car can see that the key is inside the car and the outside handle will not work. It is very sensitive too, leave the window and play around, once the key starts crossing the plane of the glass the handle will stop working.

Fun party trick...leave your key in the trunk and try closing it....the car will see the key in there and pop back open.

Reactions: MrBigE

·
Premium Member
4,708 Posts
leave your key in the trunk and try closing it....the car will see the key in there and pop back open.
"BIG BROTHER" is watching.
Or is that the "NANNY"?

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
The car can see that the key is inside the car and the outside handle will not work. It is very sensitive too, leave the window and play around, once the key starts crossing the plane of the glass the handle will stop working.

Fun party trick...leave your key in the trunk and try closing it....the car will see the key in there and pop back open.
Hmm! That's interesting about the key and imaginary plane of the window... I'll have to experiment with that. I'm sure it's in the manual, and maybe I missed it or didn't remember this safety/security feature. Thanks.

As for the other, I've now had two first-hand experiences with the trunk not-closing (because of key in the trunk) routine. The last time I shut it three times (and it opened three times) before I had that epiphany, "Oh YEAH [key's in the trunk]...!" forehead slap! haha

·
Premium Member
7,943 Posts
Hmm! That's interesting about the key and imaginary plane of the window... I'll have to experiment with that. I'm sure it's in the manual, and maybe I missed it or didn't remember this safety/security feature. Thanks.

As for the other, I've now had two first-hand experiences with the trunk not-closing (because of key in the trunk) routine. The last time I shut it three times (and it opened three times) before I had that epiphany, "Oh YEAH [key's in the trunk]...!" forehead slap! haha
Lucky you didn't do it the fourth time, cause it wouldn't have opened again.

·
Registered
320 Posts
I happened to try this a couple a months ago. Was curious if you could lock your keys in these cars, thinking the door might just open since the key is in proximity, but as others have said if the key is inside it stays locked.

·
Registered
562 Posts
My friend is a tech and he showed me about the plane deal

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I happened to try this a couple a months ago. Was curious if you could lock your keys in these cars, thinking the door might just open since the key is in proximity, but as others have said if the key is inside it stays locked.
Well I'll be.... Good to know!

I wonder if Henry Ford ever envisioned what all these (and coming up, DRIVERLESS) cars would later do. Thanks everybody!

·
Registered
256 Posts
yttocs,

In addition to your post, I have been able to find a few more details pertaining to the Passive Entry feature. The system will not unlock the vehicle if:
- The doors are locked using the key fob transmitter
- The doors are manually locked using the door lock knobs
- 3 attempts are made to lock the doors with the door panel switch.

The Passive Entry feature is optional. The driver may turn off this feature through the Uconnect system.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts