Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

Can I disable ESP completly?

8K views 12 replies 10 participants last post by  CoolVSRT8 
#1 ·
GREAT forum! Im new here and my Lava red 300c is "suppose" to be here on the 22nd...21 week wait!
Anyway, im wondering if I can turn off the ESP Completly so i can see what she will do after i break her in.
Thanks!

#2 · (Edited)
Simply turning off the ESP (button on dash) really improves matters - you can lay wheels, slip-slide around corners, etc, etc,..,.
Die-Hard?
Nobody here seems to know exactly which fuse to pull (23?). :rolleyes:

#4 ·
I read an article in a mag ("Car & Driver, maybe) in the airport about a Mercedes that had ESP. They were able to completely disable it by turning the car on and hitting the mileage button 3 times. Then it goes to service mode and one of the options is to disable ESP. Of course this is for the Mercedes (same manufacture) and I admit that I am a little sketchy on the details. I left the mag at the airport.

#5 ·
Fully disabling ESP

I don't know if anybody outside of the dealer is aware of this, but the traction control can be completely disabled simply by use of the steering wheel buttons. Here's the low-down-
1. To start, the key must be removed from the ignition.
2. Insert the key and turn to position 1.
3. Immediately press and hold the trip odometer reset button until the instrument cluster beeps. There is no visual message, only an audio beep. Be patient, this takes around 40 seconds.
4. Press the lower menu button (it looks like two sheets of paper, the one with the writing in the background behind the blank one)
5. Press the up arrow button.
6. Press the "+" sign to disable the Traction System (turn "ON" test mode)
7. Start the engine, the traction system is now disabled.
To return to normal, remove the key and restart the engine. The traction control warning should no longer be in the cluster. If it is, shut the engine off and remove the key again. Then insert the key and turn to position 1. Note that the DYNO test screen is displayed immediately. Push the "-" button to enable the traction system (turn "OFF" test mode)
NOTE: When you first turn the key to position 1, ESP DYNO Test screen pops up, then after 1-2 seconds it may disappear while faults are displayed. If you weren't fast enough in pressing the "-" button before codes were displayed, just wait until all codes cycle by, then the ESP DYNO Test screen will reappear.
No, this doesn't work for any car but the 203, before you ask.
Enjoy, and I'm not buying you new tires!

On cars equipped with Command, to enter the diagnostic screen
press and hold the following keys for about 8 seconds: Mute + 1 + 3

http://www.c32life.com/faq.htm

#7 ·
We were at a ride and drive that chrysler put on for the dealers and they had them modded up with a toggle switch and hardwired into the system to disable to ETC,ESP,and ABS systems. They were able to turn off the system completely by turning off car flipping the toggle and then turning the car on. You ain't seen nothin until you have been in this car on a track drifting around the cones with a sprint car driver behind the wheel. Unreal!

#8 ·
The steps you're talking about were in the Nov 04 issue of Car and Driver in a M-B SLK350 Road Test article. (I'm a little behind in reading my monthlies...) The 2nd page of this article with the instructions to completely turn off the M-B ESP are at the following link under the "Turn It Off--All the Way Off!" heading:

http://www.caranddriver.com/article.asp?section_id=3&article_id=8684&page_number=2

I tried the instructions several times but was never able to see a screen that showed a voltmeter. Maybe someone else will have better luck.

magic7s said:
I read an article in a mag ("Car & Driver, maybe) in the airport about a Mercedes that had ESP. They were able to completely disable it by turning the car on and hitting the mileage button 3 times. Then it goes to service mode and one of the options is to disable ESP. Of course this is for the Mercedes (same manufacture) and I admit that I am a little sketchy on the details. I left the mag at the airport.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.