Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so im developing a small problem in life.

#1 - I love my 300

#2 - Now that the weather is warming up in the cold white north, im remembering how much I love mt. biking.

Here is my problem.

Getting my bike from my place to the trail head. I cant put a roof rack on my beloved car because that would completely ruin its looks, I cant put it in the back seat (even though it fits) because of grease stains, and it wont fit in my trunk because of the 2x12" sub enclosure in there.

How do i do it?

Any suggestions would be great. But i am not putting anything on the trunk either.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Get the Mopar hitch. I just had one installed. Without the receiver in it, you have no idea there is even a hitch on the 300. Then, get a Thule (or similar) hitch mount bike rack for your bike.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I wanted to avoid it as well. The sheet would work for protecting the seat but it does nothing against the grease that gets on the sides and headliner from the chain and cassette.

·
Registered
435 Posts
I use a trunk mounted one that I bought at Target. it has THICK foam like pads on rollers and some rubberized hooks that tie down to the trunk lip so it won't damage the finish. I've had my bike rack for a while and it workes great, best thing about it is that when you're done.. you just take it off and there is nothing left to it... If you'd like I can get the brand or who makes it from ith when I get home and post it here for you.
Happy Biking...

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
maybe.... im only hesitant because every other system like that ive seen has left damage to the rear/ trunk of the car.

·
Registered
435 Posts
I'll put it on tonight and get you a picture of it let you decide... I like it, it works, and is removed just as esily as it's put on... no damage. :)

·
Registered
202 Posts
Here is a custom hitch I had installed on my 300 C. Cost was just under $300 but when I remove the 1" to 2" insert you cannot see any portion of the hitch compared to the OEM one that hangs down about 1/2" or so.

Here's a pic that shows it's above the bottom of the bumper:

Here is one pic level with the bottom of the bumper...

I went with a 2 " for the final portion of the insert as I have a few hitch accessories that already were setup for the 2" that I could use, otherwise I would of had to replace them all. I would think the 1" would work as well for your purpose.

Just another option than going with the OEM hitch for you to think about. A little spendy to carry your bike but useful for other things too. I have an aluminum trailer that I can load my Honda VTX 1800 up on to and tow if I need or want too.

Good luck,
Gary

·
Registered
169 Posts
That is a nice and clean install, the only issue that I can see is that all of the tongue weight is on the reciever pin. I'm no engineer but that set-up seems to be giving up to much rigidity for aesthetics. I can't tell if it's just the paint, but it looks like there are some cracks around the pin hole.

Here is the Reese hidden hitch install.

It's not totally hidden :indiffere . This is the one inch reciever set-up and to use the girfriends bike holder I had to get the two inch adapter.

cheers

·
Premium Member
4,395 Posts
That is a nice and clean install, the only issue that I can see is that all of the tongue weight is on the reciever pin. I'm no engineer but that set-up seems to be giving up to much rigidity for aesthetics. I can't tell if it's just the paint, but it looks like there are some cracks around the pin hole.

Here is the Reese hidden hitch install.

It's not totally hidden :indiffere . This is the one inch reciever set-up and to use the girfriends bike holder I had to get the two inch adapter.

cheers
Great pics, Souceman. Love your car too.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Great pics, Souceman. Love your car too.
Thanks Moose!

The more I drive this car the more I fall in love with it. This is the best car that I have ever owned, EVER!

cheers

·
Registered
202 Posts

cheers
The "cracks" are just scratches... I had the same setup on my '80 Corvette and never had a problem with either setup. The installer "guarantees" that it will support 2500 lb total trailer weight and 250 lb hitch weight. Which is higher than what Chrysler says to pull anyway. Never have pulled that much. Most I have pulled is about 1400 lbs with about 140 lbs on the hitch.

Chrysler uses the same setup:

"Mopar OEM Chrysler 300 Hitch Mount Adapter Kit"

"Mopar OEM Chrysler 300 Trailer Hitch Ball Mount"

"Mopar OEM Chrysler 300 Hitch Receiver"

I doubt Chrysler would use the setup if there was any great concern over the pin. Here is the spiel they give with their adapter:

"Designed and tested to match your vehicle’s towing capacity, Mopar’s Ball Mount Kits are made of heavy-duty, cold-rolled steel. E-coat primer and powdercoat paint provide a durable finish. Permits the use of hitch-mounted carriers and weight-distributing equipment for towing up to 3,800 lbs on LX vehicles.
  • Heavy-duty, cold-rolled steel
  • Durable finish
  • Up to 3800 lbs towing capacity
Made for heavy-duty hauling, this hitch mount adapter kit will turn your Chrysler 300 into a hauling machine."

Just another option,
Gary

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The "cracks" are just scratches... I had the same setup on my '80 Corvette and never had a problem with either setup. The installer "guarantees" that it will support 2500 lb total trailer weight and 250 lb hitch weight. Which is higher than what Chrysler says to pull anyway. Never have pulled that much. Most I have pulled is about 1400 lbs with about 140 lbs on the hitch.

Chrysler uses the same setup:

"Mopar OEM Chrysler 300 Hitch Mount Adapter Kit"

"Mopar OEM Chrysler 300 Trailer Hitch Ball Mount"

"Mopar OEM Chrysler 300 Hitch Receiver"

I doubt Chrysler would use the setup if there was any great concern over the pin. Here is the spiel they give with their adapter:

"Designed and tested to match your vehicle’s towing capacity, Mopar’s Ball Mount Kits are made of heavy-duty, cold-rolled steel. E-coat primer and powdercoat paint provide a durable finish. Permits the use of hitch-mounted carriers and weight-distributing equipment for towing up to 3,800 lbs on LX vehicles.
  • Heavy-duty, cold-rolled steel
  • Durable finish
  • Up to 3800 lbs towing capacity
Made for heavy-duty hauling, this hitch mount adapter kit will turn your Chrysler 300 into a hauling machine."

Just another option,
Gary
I actually really like the idea of this setup. No visible hitch at all whatsoever. Im not concerned that much with weight because all that i want it for would be bikes, maybe a very small trailer once or twice (300-500lbs tops.)

I may end up going this way actually.

Thanks for the input. Any more is still welcome.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Just put the freaking roof racks on...and then take them off when they're not needed. Once I have the money for some new rack feet, I'll be rockin' the roof racks for all my various toys - bikes, kayaks, and in the winter - skis. The racks will probably be coming on and off on a pretty close to weekly basis when I need them, mostly because I don't like the wind noise that they create. I don't see the big deal with "ruining" the looks of zee car, it's a utility thing, nothing more.

·
Registered
553 Posts
Just put the freaking roof racks on...and then take them off when they're not needed. Once I have the money for some new rack feet, I'll be rockin' the roof racks for all my various toys - bikes, kayaks, and in the winter - skis. The racks will probably be coming on and off on a pretty close to weekly basis when I need them, mostly because I don't like the wind noise that they create. I don't see the big deal with "ruining" the looks of zee car, it's a utility thing, nothing more.
What brand rack do you have? I was going to pick up a rack after I bought my car last year, but haven't gotten around to it yet. My bike used to fit (just barely) into the trunk of my former Crown Vic, but now I have to fold down the rear seats of the 300C to make it fit, and it's a bit awkward to get it in.

As for the wind noise, are you using a fairing? Any pics of your car with the rack installed?

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Ive used nothing but roof racks on my previous cars and they looked fine. The cars were also subarus though so it kinda fit them better. (for looks anyway) I just think that for me, my opinion is that i dont want the roof racks on because it would ruin the look that I like about the car.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts