Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was reading this thread earlier: http://www.300cforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2499&page=3&pp=10
And i was astonished to learn that i wont be able to drive excessive speeds with 22's on. Is this true? I know the risks of brake failure and tire blow out, but do you guys still not recommend exceeding 100mph with 22's on? I am a very agressive driver and Im purchasing the Hemi versus the limited so ill be able to push the engine more. So do any of you ride 22's and go 100-120? I assume theres a higher risk of malfunction if i dropped the car, so would i be fine driving fast with just 22's with the right tire and not dropping it? Someone please clear this up for me as this is really starting to worry me. Cheers!

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
LenAve,

I know you've read the post all I can say is I wouldn't try it.
You're putting on 'shoes' that we're not engineered for the C. Maybe 20's and even on those I say be careful.

DubDeuces are for slow show not grunt work.

If you want the C to drive at higher speeds with 22's there would be changes I would do first, brakes and then several other upgrades.

There are many more experienced folk on here that I think will back me up on this one.

I suggest taking a look at the SRT8's supension, brakes etc.... and she's sittin' on 20's.

Talk to a good performance shop and the best to you. Let us know what you end up doing.

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
I've hit the speed limiter multiple times and also driven about 10 laps at Willow Springs on my 22s. Is it dangerous? Yes and I still passed track tech inspection. It all depends upon the driver and knowing the changes that 22" wheels incur upon your handling characteristics. Braking distance is increased, as is brake wear.

I believe the 22"x9" thread has confused you. There are concerns with tire expansion on 22"x9" wheels that the tire could expand and hit the control arm bolt at high speeds.

22x9.5 on a 265/35/22 should be fine at any speed with the proper rated tire. You just have to keep in mind your braking distance. Adjust your driving technique accordingly and you will be fine.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Let me put it this way:
Daimler-Chrysler (i.e.,Mercedes) engineers put ALOT of time & effort into designing the 300C to deliver a very high-level of performance. Everything on the car's suspension, brakes, ESP, etc, is carefully "tuned" to work together to deliver that performance. No small achievement.
Now, the DUB-driven industry, with all of its engineering expertise (not), steps in and says, "we can do it better" - "just watch" while we take some of the most critical variables (wire & tire weight, tire size, etc) and throw them into the mix.
To be sure, the amount of money charged might lead you to believe it has to be ok, but is it?
Figure the odds - itz your call.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Real World

I have noticed that my setup was fine before I took her to 126 MPH, I then noticed that my tires expand at that speed and they rub on the bolt from the upper A-Arm.

I'm thinking I'll stay factory on the SRT-8.

·
Registered
203 Posts
i drive my C very hard every time i get a open road. i hit 100 each time and was on my way home from Atlantic City thats about 2 hours away form me i did 100 the whole ride home sometimes even hit 110, 120. the car was at the Chrysler Dealership for Recalls last week from this date. i have a friend that works there as a service manager and he makes sure the car is properly looked at front to end there were no problems at all.. knocking on wood. you should speak to someone and then research the rims a bit more.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
hey gshug......are those the sequence sq2's your riding on? those were the rims i was looking at, with a set of pirelli scorpions on. however i am very reluctant to go with these rims as members on this forum have posted to 'beware of the SQ2's and do your research before purchasing'. are you happy with these? im a very agressive driver like yourself, so do you think ill have any problems?

·
Registered
203 Posts
lennoxavesosa said:
hey gshug......are those the sequence sq2's your riding on? those were the rims i was looking at, with a set of pirelli scorpions on. however i am very reluctant to go with these rims as members on this forum have posted to 'beware of the SQ2's and do your research before purchasing'. are you happy with these? im a very agressive driver like yourself, so do you think ill have any problems?
Lennox, listen to me do yourself a favor and get these rims i don't know what these guys are saying i don't even bother reading that crap. i have no problem with this rim. zero issues i swear to you. the car looks crazy with this set of rims. i had a pair of lowenharts LDR's on before i gave them away to my wife for her 5 series bmw and i got myself these they were stolen and i got a second pair because of how sick they looked and the ride is fine. i gun the car on the highways. Bro the car rocks with these rims but make sure you get the SQ2's in a 3 peice. and Scorpio zero 265/35. if you like you can call my shop where i get all my stuff done they can help you out. theys guys there are good on prices and know what they're doing. www.212motoring.com just an idea of what they do. you'll be happy with them.
enjoy man and good luck if you have any question email me

·
BLOODY ADMENSTRUATOR
12,606 Posts
gshug said:
Lennox, listen to me do yourself a favor and get these rims i don't know what these guys are saying i don't even bother reading that crap. i have no problem with this rim. zero issues i swear to you. the car looks crazy with this set of rims. i had a pair of lowenharts LDR's on before i gave them away to my wife for her 5 series bmw and i got myself these they were stolen and i got a second pair because of how sick they looked and the ride is fine. i gun the car on the highways. Bro the car rocks with these rims but make sure you get the SQ2's in a 3 peice. and Scorpio zero 265/35. if you like you can call my shop where i get all my stuff done they can help you out. theys guys there are good on prices and know what they're doing. www.212motoring.com just an idea of what they do. you'll be happy with them.
enjoy man and good luck if you have any question email me
Gshug,

Your car looks really nice.

Are you running the stock brakes? How are your stopping distances affected at speed? What has been your experience with repeated braking on fast mountain descents? Have you noticed any brake fade at all?

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
hey gshug, thanks alot for the help man. these are the only rims ive actually liked on the car and i agree with you, they look crazy on it, especially with the huge lip. i found a guy from ebay that said he could have them delivered to my door (upstate ny) with the pirellis mounted and balanced for 2 grand even (is this a decent price?...what did you pay). i like burning rubber alot, but am kinda reluctant to with an expensive set of tires on, whats your view on this? also, dont the lowenhardt LDR's kinda resemble the SQ2's?.....i think i was looking at a set of them and they looked about the same but more money. i also got another question regarding the dvd/nav conversion, but ill PM you about that instead of starting a new thread. thanks alot again bro for all the help.

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
lennoxavesosa said:
hey gshug, thanks alot for the help man. these are the only rims ive actually liked on the car and i agree with you, they look crazy on it, especially with the huge lip. i found a guy from ebay that said he could have them delivered to my door (upstate ny) with the pirellis mounted and balanced for 2 grand even (is this a decent price?...what did you pay). i like burning rubber alot, but am kinda reluctant to with an expensive set of tires on, whats your view on this? also, dont the lowenhardt LDR's kinda resemble the SQ2's?.....i think i was looking at a set of them and they looked about the same but more money. i also got another question regarding the dvd/nav conversion, but ill PM you about that instead of starting a new thread. thanks alot again bro for all the help.
I suggest you read The following thread again before purchasing Sequence Wheels.

Gshug I assume your first set of wheels was stolen because of no wheel locks, but now you have a garage? I'm just trying to set the record straight. Sequence SQ-2 Wheels cannot be locked with standard wheel locks.

Doc G mentioned that he WAS able to find a tuner wheel lock that worked in this thread. But buyer beware. I would never put 22" wheels on my car without wheel locks. I'd be worried every time I park somewhere for more than an hour. Perhaps its time a FAQ was created for this issue, and if Sequence would like to address it they can. In fact they SHOULD.

·
Registered
208 Posts
lennoxavesosa said:
With that wheeel/tire combo, you are going to have a tough time "burning rubber."

I read it here first, about unsprung weight and the extra power it takes to rotate aftermarket setups. But I'm running 20s and the extra tire patch/much heavier weight of aftermarket rims will sap a lot of that extra horsepower.

Just my thoughts.

·
Registered
203 Posts
rogue said:
I suggest you read The following thread again before purchasing Sequence Wheels.

Gshug I assume your first set of wheels was stolen because of no wheel locks, but now you have a garage? I'm just trying to set the record straight. Sequence SQ-2 Wheels cannot be locked with standard wheel locks.

Doc G mentioned that he WAS able to find a tuner wheel lock that worked in this thread. But buyer beware. I would never put 22" wheels on my car without wheel locks. I'd be worried every time I park somewhere for more than an hour. Perhaps its time a FAQ was created for this issue, and if Sequence would like to address it they can. In fact they SHOULD.
Hey Rogue what's man? i was saying that he Rims are awsome. but yeah the first set i had was with out locks i forgot them and my shop forgot them. its okay i got this pair and they are locked up three locks on each wheel try to get them now suckas. and the car is garaged. i think all rims that people purchase should be put on lock immedatly with out even to say anything to anyone

we pay allot on money for something we should be able to sleep at night

·
Registered
203 Posts
CITADELGRAD87 said:
With that wheeel/tire combo, you are going to have a tough time "burning rubber."

I read it here first, about unsprung weight and the extra power it takes to rotate aftermarket setups. But I'm running 20s and the extra tire patch/much heavier weight of aftermarket rims will sap a lot of that extra horsepower.

Just my thoughts.
i'm blowing the doors of S500's and 754li's with out problems. with 22's

·
Registered
208 Posts
gshug said:
i'm blowing the doors of S500's and 754li's with out problems. with 22's
Mine's fast, too.

But he mentioned "burning rubber," which to me means tire smoking burnouts/white smoke launches.

Those are pretty hard to come by once the stock 18s come off.

·
BLOODY ADMENSTRUATOR
12,606 Posts
joe300c said:
There's a reason that the SRT department put 20's on the SRT-8 - because its the perfect performance size. Anything bigger ventures into clown-car / show-car territory..
I agree. And the SRT-8 is designed for max performance. It also has the brakes needed to stop the huge 20" wheels.

·
Registered
203 Posts
"burn baby baby disco inferno"

1 - 17 of 17 Posts