Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sup Gents and Ladies,
Been a minute since I was here in these friendly confines...

Question regarding battery: I've got the OEM battery in my 5-yr old ('08) 300C. I've got 78000 original miles on my baby...I've had difficult turn-over when starting from overnight parking and my RER radio has been acting funny (which I know can be caused by low voltage). When running the car after start, and using the hidden EVIC menus I can see that starting voltage is around 12V rapidly ramping up to about 14V when underway. I had to have a jump start two days ago in order for my baby to turn over...

I'm thinking the battery may be dying but I'd like not have to replace it right now (lots of travel for me in the next few weeks).

So, can I/should I add water, like in the olden days, to "revive" the battery?

(I think that part of the issue is that I recently moved from more temperate NY to blazing hot South Florida - heat can degrade battery life, as I understand it).

Any help would be appreciated!! Thanks in advance!!!
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,708 Posts
While you might be able to physically access the interior of each cell of the battery to add water (distilled), the level of the electrolyte probably isn't the problem.
At 5 years of service your battery has about run through its useful life. Time to pony-up if you expect to survive "lots of travel ......in the next few weeks".
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
While you might be able to physically access the interior of each cell of the battery to add water (distilled), the level of the electrolyte probably isn't the problem.
At 5 years of service your battery has about run through its useful life. Time to pony-up if you expect to survive "lots of travel ......in the next few weeks".
Hey Desiree!

You think it's about done huh? I've heard (anecdotally, of course) of people getting 6-7 years out of their OEM MoPar batteries. I was hoping to extend to that as well...

And my travel coming up is by air. :) My car would be sitting at the airport -- which I guess actually might make things worse :(
 

·
Administrator
Joined
·
19,719 Posts
I agree...it's about done. Adding water does nothing to help plates that have electrolyzed and degrade to the point you can't keep a decent level of CCA to start the car. It's best you replace it before it strands you.
 
1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Top