Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys im new here, im a 300c SRT8 owner. can someone fill me in on these "brake problems"?
 

·
Administrator
Joined
·
3,667 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
196 Posts
I read threw the thread for the most part.. one question and that sums it up for me.. Is this problem only on the SRT-8's or is on C's also? I have an '06 with alittle over 5,000 miles.. Have not noticed a problem yet... (still knocking on wood)
 

·
Administrator
Joined
·
3,667 Posts
SERBS_HEMI_C said:
I read threw the thread for the most part.. one question and that sums it up for me.. Is this problem only on the SRT-8's or is on C's also? I have an '06 with alittle over 5,000 miles.. Have not noticed a problem yet... (still knocking on wood)
This is an SRT8-specific problem. For a current list of problems, check the TSB sticky thread in the Problems/Dealer Service Forum... this list is constantly updated so check often.

*****Back on topic******
Edit: Thread split, now we're on topic :wink1:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
231 Posts
Its not really a problem, well I will tell you about the issues and you decide if it bothers you or not.

1- Brake squeal on light pressure just before the car comes to a complete stop.
2- Excessive brake dust.
3- rotor groving.

As Hemee said there is a TSB to address the brake squeal but not the dust or the grooving.
The dust (as per SRT engineers) is secondary to the excellent stoping power that these pads offer. So I guess there is no way around it other than cleaning your wheels or going with a different pad(some members went with ceramic others with teflon)
The grooving, i guess what we got out from the engineers is that if it doesnt affect braking performance they will not deal with it just because its a cosmetic issue.

hope this helps
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
507 Posts
The grooving, i guess what we got out from the engineers is that if it doesnt affect braking performance they will not deal with it just because its a cosmetic issue.
Grooving is simply cosmetic? Won't the rotors need to be replaced prematurely? I can see/feel a couple grooves on two of my rotors and I only put 700 miles on them so far. My 330ci had excellent brakes (13" rotors) and after 66,000 miles the rotors were still perfectly smooth and the original pads still had more than 50% left.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
791 Posts
SRT8C said:
As Hemee said there is a TSB to address the brake squeal but not the dust or the grooving.
The dust (as per SRT engineers) is secondary to the excellent stoping power that these pads offer. So I guess there is no way around it other than cleaning your wheels or going with a different pad(some members went with ceramic others with teflon)
Teflon pads? As far as I know, there is no such thing in the automotive world.

The problem with going out and buying replacement SRT8 brake pads is that they are a new shape and the FMSI has not yet documented them. Thus the aftermarket has nothing to go by and has not yet produced alternative pads. A few folks have paid top dollar to have their stock pads' friction material machined away and new material bonded in its place. Besides being expensive ($400 or more per set), this process yields a finished product that is more vulnerable to delamination than a compression molded pad with friction material extruded through holes in the steel backing plate to help anchor it. For those with glued on pads, I suggest you stay away from high speed driving events and open track days.

I've put in a request with Bendix-Mintex (aka FMP Group Australia) via my contacts at StopTech to start producing the Axxis Ultimate pad in the correct shape for the SRT8 300C/Charger/Magnum/Jeep calipers. I'm hoping these (and some other important shapes) will become available this summer. But I won't get any advance notice. The pads, if they decide to make them, will just show up on a boat and end up in a warehouse in California owned by Centric Parts. Rest assured, if they become available, I will let everyone know right away.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
66 Posts
DZeckhausen said:
Teflon pads? As far as I know, there is no such thing in the automotive world.

The problem with going out and buying replacement SRT8 brake pads is that they are a new shape and the FMSI has not yet documented them. Thus the aftermarket has nothing to go by and has not yet produced alternative pads. A few folks have paid top dollar to have their stock pads' friction material machined away and new material bonded in its place. Besides being expensive ($400 or more per set), this process yields a finished product that is more vulnerable to delamination than a compression molded pad with friction material extruded through holes in the steel backing plate to help anchor it. For those with glued on pads, I suggest you stay away from high speed driving events and open track days.

I've put in a request with Bendix-Mintex (aka FMP Group Australia) via my contacts at StopTech to start producing the Axxis Ultimate pad in the correct shape for the SRT8 300C/Charger/Magnum/Jeep calipers. I'm hoping these (and some other important shapes) will become available this summer. But I won't get any advance notice. The pads, if they decide to make them, will just show up on a boat and end up in a warehouse in California owned by Centric Parts. Rest assured, if they become available, I will let everyone know right away.
I was under the impression that the SRT8 had the same calipers as the EVO8 (which I got rid of for the SRT8), STI, CTS-V, 350Z track, etc....if so that would make numerous options for brake pads.

Am I wrong?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
437 Posts
DZeckhausen said:
Teflon pads? As far as I know, there is no such thing in the automotive world.

The problem with going out and buying replacement SRT8 brake pads is that they are a new shape and the FMSI has not yet documented them. Thus the aftermarket has nothing to go by and has not yet produced alternative pads. A few folks have paid top dollar to have their stock pads' friction material machined away and new material bonded in its place. Besides being expensive ($400 or more per set), this process yields a finished product that is more vulnerable to delamination than a compression molded pad with friction material extruded through holes in the steel backing plate to help anchor it. For those with glued on pads, I suggest you stay away from high speed driving events and open track days.

I've put in a request with Bendix-Mintex (aka FMP Group Australia) via my contacts at StopTech to start producing the Axxis Ultimate pad in the correct shape for the SRT8 300C/Charger/Magnum/Jeep calipers. I'm hoping these (and some other important shapes) will become available this summer. But I won't get any advance notice. The pads, if they decide to make them, will just show up on a boat and end up in a warehouse in California owned by Centric Parts. Rest assured, if they become available, I will let everyone know right away.
They probably meant kevlar :wink1:
http://www.300cforums.com/forums/srt-8-general-discussion/13732-kevlar-brake-pads-no-noise-dust.html
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,066 Posts
330toSRT8 said:
Grooving is simply cosmetic? Won't the rotors need to be replaced prematurely? I can see/feel a couple grooves on two of my rotors and I only put 700 miles on them so far. My 330ci had excellent brakes (13" rotors) and after 66,000 miles the rotors were still perfectly smooth and the original pads still had more than 50% left.
IMHO, grooved disc brake rotors are more than just simply 'cosmetic'...contrary to what has evidently been advised by some of the DCX engineers. It's only reasonable to believe that grooved disc brake rotors means uneven wearing disc brake pads. This uneven contact with the disc brake rotor might also account for some of the unwanted brake pedal pulsation which so many 'SRT-8' owners seem to be experiencing. :dunno:
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
791 Posts
Jonbbas said:
I was under the impression that the SRT8 had the same calipers as the EVO8 (which I got rid of for the SRT8), STI, CTS-V, 350Z track, etc....if so that would make numerous options for brake pads.

Am I wrong?
Yes. The shape of the SRT8 pads is different than anything else out there to date. The FMSI has not yet issued a description of it. First-hand inspection of these pads, during the development of StopTech's SRT8 big brake kit, convinced us they do not resemble anything else described in the FMSI documentation.

Just because a car uses factory calipers manufactured by Brembo does not mean it uses the same pad shape. The WRX STi, Volvo V70R/S70R/S60R, Cadillac CTS-V and Mitsubishi EVO8 use D1001 shape pads in front. The Nissan 350Z Track Model (and Infiniti G35 6-Spd) uses D960 pads in front, which are more than 12mm shorter than the D1001.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
1,300 Posts
moparfo said:
lol its hard to get a stright answer in this site
Didn't SRT8C answer succinctly enough?
SRT8C said:
Its not really a problem, well I will tell you about the issues and you decide if it bothers you or not.

1- Brake squeal on light pressure just before the car comes to a complete stop.
2- Excessive brake dust.
3- rotor groving.

As Hemee said there is a TSB to address the brake squeal but not the dust or the grooving.
The dust (as per SRT engineers) is secondary to the excellent stoping power that these pads offer. So I guess there is no way around it other than cleaning your wheels or going with a different pad(some members went with ceramic others with teflon)
The grooving, i guess what we got out from the engineers is that if it doesnt affect braking performance they will not deal with it just because its a cosmetic issue.

hope this helps
I'll try phrasing it differently:

1) Many people complain about brake dust. DCX says this is not an issue.
2) Rotors showed signs of scoring within 500 miles of purchase for many of us. DCX says this is cosmetic and does not affect safety/performance. Certainly the rotors will wear faster, but faster than what? Rotors are only warranteed for 12,000 miles. They last that long.
3) The brakes will squeal excessively at slow speeds and when coming to a stop. There is a TSB for this problem, and the brake pads are being swapped out free of charge. Initial reaction is that the sqeal has in fact been fixed by the new pads, with no noticeable loss in performance.

Dave Zekhausen is the resident expert on brakes. Trust him. He says by properly bedding his brakes he got the squeal to go away. I'm betting the squeal returns, requiring re-bedding of the brakes about once every 100 miles or less.

What else has not been answered?
 

·
Administrator
Joined
·
3,667 Posts
moparfo said:
lol its hard to get a stright answer in this site
This is a hot topic and there has been no resolution as of yet. The link I provided in post #2 above leads to many in-depth discussions on the topic of SRT8 brake problems. An itemized list was provided for you in post #6 as well... You can choose to read this info, or not, but only then will you be able to draw your own conclusions.

Please understand that this is a discussion board, not a site designed to provide definitive answers, and we can't answer for you, what DCX has yet to answer for any of us.

Edit: I see JMatt and I were answering at the same time, hope this help you understand better!
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
66 Posts
DZeckhausen said:
Yes. The shape of the SRT8 pads is different than anything else out there to date. The FMSI has not yet issued a description of it. First-hand inspection of these pads, during the development of StopTech's SRT8 big brake kit, convinced us they do not resemble anything else described in the FMSI documentation.

Just because a car uses factory calipers manufactured by Brembo does not mean it uses the same pad shape. The WRX STi, Volvo V70R/S70R/S60R, Cadillac CTS-V and Mitsubishi EVO8 use D1001 shape pads in front. The Nissan 350Z Track Model (and Infiniti G35 6-Spd) uses D960 pads in front, which are more than 12mm shorter than the D1001.
Thanks for the fill in!
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,241 Posts
moparfo said:
lol its hard to get a stright answer in this site
Considering the complexity of the issue I thought the replies were extremely informative and very simplified. Probably saved you a couple hours of reading through endless threads on this topic. The question I have is what would you consider a "straight answer"?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
28 Posts
im supprised at this , brembo makes some of the best stuff out there . i dont know what grade is on the srt-8 but i assume its good lol.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
43 Posts
If you notice, very few (if any) Charger SRT8 owners have the squeal issue with their brakes. I don't think this has anything to do with the LX model but rather the build date on the vehicle. My October built Charger hasn't made a squeek yet and I purchased it mid November. My advice is to get the pads swapped out for the TSB ones & you'll have your brake problems one-third of the way fixed. Maybe we'll luck out in the future & have a fix to our rotor scoring issue but I doubt it. As far as the dust goes, its here to stay.
 
1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Top