Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

I am currently in the market for a Chrysler 300 but am not sure what model is right for me.

I currently own a 2006 BMW 325-XI which has a sport suspension. My ownership experience on this car has been horrendous primarily because I think the sport suspension on it is completely inappropriate for the terriblly potholed and cratered road conditions that exist where I live and work (Northern New Jersey). Everytime I drive over a tiny pothole or bump in the road, the whole family is shaken and experiences a highly unpleasant teeth rattling sensation among other side effects. I have lost count of the number of times I have had to replace tires or other things that have gotten damaged.

I went to a dealership to take a look at some models and liked a new 2014 300 S version for which I was qouted an all in price of $38,500. This included navigation and a sunroof(which I dont need or want).

I did some checking and it turns out that the 300-S also has a sport suspension, which makes me very wary.

Does anybody have any recommendation on what model type of the 300 might work for the awfull road conditions where I live ?

I would also appreciate any input on what price I can expect to pay for a new model. I have checked some numbers on Edmunds, but am not sure if I trust those.

·
Registered
562 Posts
The sport suspension on a 300 is greatly different than the sport suspension on a BMW. My advice would be to drive that car you got a quote on. The 300 is a bigger car with a longer wheelbase, the ride is much smoother than the 325.
So I wouldn't get angry about a sport suspension in a car that you haven't driven yet.

Reactions: floridagunner

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
Yeah, definitely take it out for a test drive. That's a pretty decent deal for the "S" (that I can see)...and if you're coming out of a BMW 3-series, I'm sure you'll be very pleased w/ the ride quality. AND the "S" is pretty sporty to boot! I think you'll be very satisfied. But, of course, you know what I'm ultimately gonna suggest--GO SRT!!!!!!! :biglaugh:

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Would it be safer to go with an AWD base version or a 300-C ?, it seems that those variants do not have the sport suspension.

·
Premium Member
7,943 Posts
Isn't the S similar to the SRT in that you can turn it on and off sports mode, or am I thinking of the luxury.

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
Wasn't sure myself until I just confirmed... The S does have sport mode indeed. And to clarify, the 2012.5+ 300 SRT comes w/ three modes (Normal, Sport, Track). Oh, sorry, was I just gloating? :biglaugh:

·
Premium Member
7,943 Posts
So with the confirmation above ^^ just don't run it in sport mode and you should find it very cosy and comfy to drive.
Thanks hof

·
Premium Member
1,788 Posts
If you can wait for one without sunroof, do it. 'Cause if you really don't need or want one you will absolutely hate the rattley-squeeky sunroofs Chrysler make. :) Seriously, if you get a sunroof it will be the one thing you will regret until you sell it.

·
Registered
2,561 Posts
Would it be safer to go with an AWD base version or a 300-C ?, it seems that those variants do not have the sport suspension.
I have the 300c AWD model and love it but.....as MADDOG asked, v6 or v8? If gas doesn't matter, get the v8. My car is unstoppable in the snow!

·
Registered
732 Posts
I drove the S with the 6cyl 8 speed. I was told the S6 vs. the C5.7 is very close on take off but the 5.7 will kill the S in the long run. NOT TRUE! The 5.7 is way more responsive. Nothing against the S, very very nice car. If you're looking for more muscle go with the 5.7 Hemi, if you're looking for even more muscle go with the SRT8 as these guys are saying. It's bad ass no doubt. I bought the 300C 5.7 and have zero complaints, freekin love the car!

Also, there's not a ton of differences (feature wise) in the S vs. the C for a considerable amount less.

Go drive all 3 and pick the one you like the most for the $

·
Registered
650 Posts
I'd buy a Accord or Camary or even Lexus. Much better smooth unconnected rides if that is what your really want. I know your roads well. Tears your car up.
However I was up there Christmas with my SRT8. It wasn't too bad but you felt everything. I'm not sure how different the new models are in ride.

·
Registered
3,692 Posts
Sorry I missed thus thread. First having owned a gen 1 300c and now a gen 2 300c I can say unequivocally that the ride has been improved.

One thing to be aware if is regarding the gen 2 c model is that you have to take into account whether it has been upgrade to the touring option or not. Gen 1 automatically upgraded the suspension for the c but now you have a choice if 18 inch wheels with comfort or 20 inch wheels with the touring suspension.

This may make the difference for you since you are concerned about the ride.

I chose the 20 and stiffer ride. Having said that I still feel the combo on my gen 2 is miles better when it comes to ride.

The next thing to look at is 3.6 or 5.7. The biggest diff here is gas mileage vs performance trade off. You can get about 85% of the performance of the 5.7 in the v6 model. With gen 1 the v8 was clearly the winner because the 3.5 didn't really save gas the way the 3.6 does in the gen 2.

I've been on some pretty crummy roads and it wasn't as bad as I thought on the 20's.

I'd say test out the S model and see if you can try on some bad roads to see how you like it.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
If you can wait for one without sunroof, do it. 'Cause if you really don't need or want one you will absolutely hate the rattley-squeeky sunroofs Chrysler make. :) Seriously, if you get a sunroof it will be the one thing you will regret until you sell it.

Yes I don't want a sunroof and it is a completely unnecessary addition to the cost of the car. Thanks for this tip I will definitely wait to get one without it.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I'd buy a Accord or Camary or even Lexus. Much better smooth unconnected rides if that is what your really want. I know your roads well. Tears your car up.
However I was up there Christmas with my SRT8. It wasn't too bad but you felt everything. I'm not sure how different the new models are in ride.

I considered those cars, but didn't like the design on the accord and the Camry felt somewhat small. Lexus is nice but is outside my max budget of 35-36 K

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
3,692 Posts
It sounds like we are pretty close. Since a v6 is in the lead due to mileage, I'd like to point out my most recent experience driving 1500 miles round trip. By my receipts, my car average 37 mpg on the high way. That may be on the extreme as city driving takes a toll on it.

So now as far as other options would a nav be a choice?

Since ride is a consideration I would also recommend a base 300 with Nav. You'll save more and it will have the best combo of ride and mileage. And you'll get still a high performance machine IMO.

Again when you go looking again include a base model in your test drive. I think you'll find it worth a look.

·
Premium Member
457 Posts
Wasn't sure myself until I just confirmed... The S does have sport mode indeed. And to clarify, the 2012.5+ 300 SRT comes w/ three modes (Normal, Sport, Track). Oh, sorry, was I just gloating? :biglaugh:
The "Sport Mode" in the 300S only affects the transmission shift points. It does not change the suspension firmness as in the SRT. The suspension in the 300S if firmer than "Limited" of "Luxury" equipped 300s. As stated above, I recommend that you test drive the 300S and other 300 variations so that you can feel for yourself which suspension firmness you prefer. If a smooth ride in your biggest concern then a 300 with 18" wheels may be your best bet.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts