Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If it makes a difference, my 2005 Chrysler 300c just passed the Emissions Test without a problem.

I am looking to clean the throttle body, replace spark plugs and POSSIBLY (???) replace the EGR.

Is this a worthwhile endeavour?

My reason is just to ensure my car is performing perfectly.

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
The EGR is a real PITA to get out because of the 2 bottom bolts but for only $25 or so, it may be worth it. I've had mine in the trunk for a whlle now but have not replaced it cuz of the headache of doing it.

Reactions: leredditarmy5000

·
Registered
50 Posts
I would recommend someone with small hands and a extension to get the bottom bolts out, its fairly easy to do. Maybe 15 mins of work. Just replaced mine since it was throwing a code. If you get a tune I would get the EGR delete kit, for the simply reason a egr just reuses gas and is pumped back through manifold, nobody like dirty things going into their engines, good luck

·
Registered
50 Posts
but is it technically able to reduce my car's speed/acceleration? pardon my stupidity..
I really didn't pay attention to the that, I seen my fuel mileage was off a little bit and after replacing the egr and the pvc pipe it brought me back up to 23 instead of 19. So I guess it improved acceleration but nothing like installing a aftermarket part if you know what im saying.

·
Premium Member
4,708 Posts
"If it ain't broke, don't fix it!"

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
I'd really like to know how to get those bolts out. I have a 1/4" drive, extension and deep well socket and I cant get to those bolts at all or even the 2 bolts that connect the pipe to the EGR. That rear bolt is also a bitch.

·
Chrysler Customer Service Agent
1,171 Posts
On the 2007 Chrysler 300C 5.7L Hemi engine, the EGR valve consists of three major components. First there is the pintle, valve seat, and housing which contains and regulates the gas flow. Second there is the armature, return spring, and solenoid coil to provide the operating force to regulate the flow by changing the pintle position. The solenoid coil assembly is in parallel with a diode and connects to the two connectors in the connector assembly. The third major component which senses pintle position and is connected to the three connectors in the electrical connector.

The exhaust gas recirculation flow is determined by the engine controller. For a given set of conditions, the engine controller knows the ideal exhaust gas recirculation flow to optimize NOx and fuel economy as a function of the pintle position. Pintle position is obtained from the position sensor. The engine controller adjusts the duty cycle of 128 Hz power supplied to the solenoid coil to obtain the correct position.

The electronic EGR valve and solenoid assembly is attached to the front of the right cylinder head. An exhaust gas routing tube connects the EGR valve to the intake manifold.

EGR Valve Removal:
1. Use a diagnostic scan tool to record any DTC's (Diagnostic Trouble Codes).
2. Disconnect and isolate the negative battery cable.
3. Disconnect electrical connector from EGR solenoid.
4. Remove two bolts connecting EGR tube to valve assembly.
5. Remove gasket located between EGR tube flange and EGR valve assembly.

Installation:
1. Position a new metal gasket between cylinder head and valve assembly.
2. Install two mounting bolts and tighten.
3. Clean EGR tube where it joins EGR valve.
4. Position new gasket between EGR tube flange and EGR valve assembly.
5. Install two bolts connecting EGR tube to valve assembly. Tighten bolts.
6. Connect electrical connector to EGR solenoid.
7. Connect negative battery cable.
8. Using a diagnostic scan tool, erase any previously recorded DTC's (Diagnostic Trouble Codes).
6. Remove two mounting bolts.
7. Separate valve assembly from cylinder head.
8. Remove and discard metal gasket located between cylinder head and valve assembly.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts