Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I'm wondering about using HIDs for DRLs. The DRLs are the high beams just with less voltage (from what I read) so they aren't as bright.

Will HIDs work for DRLs or will this less voltage cause a problem getting them lit? Has anyone done this? Is it a bad idea?

Thanks a ton guys,
Bryan

·
Banned
5,754 Posts
not likely

the HIDs are a high voltage required source, remember it is not just a bulb, but an electronic ballast that powers the bulb..

most HID systems will start to flicker (strobe light effect) if they are below 11 volts..

DRL runs between 7 and 9 volts..

·
Registered
469 Posts
i'm also looking for a whiter/blueish bulb for the high beams without going HID because of the inevitable flickering bound to occur with the DRL.

has anyone used LEDs like above? wont they have the same problem?

·
Banned
5,754 Posts
i'm also looking for a whiter/blueish bulb for the high beams without going HID because of the inevitable flickering bound to occur with the DRL.

not likely, LEDS don't use a ballast... the flickering problem common with some LED's is because of voltage spikes (i.e. starting the car with the lights on causes a voltage drop that kills the resistor on the LED circuit board)

not low voltage..

though I have not used them for DRL's I did use a set in my fogs for awhile, the color is really nice, but the ones I had were not bright enough for fog lights

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The only problem i see with using LEDs in that the high beams might not be bright enough now...

·
Banned
5,754 Posts
The only problem i see with using LEDs in that the high beams might not be bright enough now...

yeah but if you have HID lows, the highbeams (at least to me) are useless..

runing 6000K HID lows (OEM HID D1S bulbs upgraded) and 6000K 9145 Fog light bulbs I can't see my high beams, they do nothing for me..

·
Registered
3,997 Posts

But you have an SRT... I thought the only cars with DRLs were the models below the 300C.

yeah but if you have HID lows, the highbeams (at least to me) are useless..
runing 6000K HID lows (OEM HID D1S bulbs upgraded) and 6000K 9145 Fog light bulbs I can't see my high beams, they do nothing for me..
Ditto

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
DRL is a feature that can be turned on or off via starscan. If you live in canada its manditory that you have them on. Any 300 can have DRL's.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts