·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
2,416 Posts
Its really an unknown quantity I think.

Personally I would want to see exactly what parameters it will measure and what it will do by reading an instruction manual or seeing further spec details. The info on the advert is a bit vague really.

A search for this particular item doesn't throw up any description or other sellers which would make me very wary of this particular reader.

EDIT
Just read that its the same as the "X431 Diagun".
I assume the one they are selling is a copy of the original "X431 Diagun" and will be limited to one particular car. I also assume NO Bluetooth capability (which is not really important) I also assume that software cant be downloaded as with the X431.

It may be OK if it does all the X431 does.

Jack

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Its really an unknown quantity I think.
Personally I would want to see exactly what parameters it will measure and what it will do by reading an instruction manual or seeing further spec details. The info on the advert is a bit vague really.

A search for this particular item doesn't throw up any description or other sellers which would make me very wary of this particular reader.

EDIT
Just read that its the same as the "X431 Diagun".
I assume the one they are selling is a copy of the original "X431 Diagun" and will be limited to one particular car. I also assume NO Bluetooth capability (which is not really important) I also assume that software cant be downloaded as with the X431.

It may be OK if it does all the X431 does.

Jack
Very interesting views and agree totally with what you say. I will do some more research on this but will refrain from buying until it looks ok.

I suppose all I am wanting to achieve is to be able to control certain parameters of the car but nothing safety related but then again the member that posted that he has managed to get his ACC to work in stop/start traffic is pretty cool.

Back to my point though I want to be able to say that when I start/unlock/lock the car I want you to do this i.e. retract the mirrors or close the windows/sunroof if they are open. put the seats/rear window demister in winter or do the opposite in the summer.

Just want the option to do things which are helpful to me. Why don't the manufacturers make this happen as sure as hell they would sell more cars if the customer could do these simple things BUT maybe that's to come in the future :)

·
Registered
2,416 Posts
Very interesting views and agree totally with what you say. I will do some more research on this but will refrain from buying until it looks ok.

I suppose all I am wanting to achieve is to be able to control certain parameters of the car but nothing safety related but then again the member that posted that he has managed to get his ACC to work in stop/start traffic is pretty cool.

Back to my point though I want to be able to say that when I start/unlock/lock the car I want you to do this i.e. retract the mirrors or close the windows/sunroof if they are open. put the seats/rear window demister in winter or do the opposite in the summer.

Just want the option to do things which are helpful to me. Why don't the manufacturers make this happen as sure as hell they would sell more cars if the customer could do these simple things BUT maybe that's to come in the future :)
I am certain you will NOT be able to CONTROL and change the operation of a single piece of equipment on the car.
This is not what the item is designed to do. Its basically still just a code reader/scanner with a few more functions and able to read more codes than a basic reader.

Jack

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I am certain you will NOT be able to CONTROL and change the operation of a single piece of equipment on the car.
This is not what the item is designed to do. Its basically still just a code reader/scanner with a few more functions and able to read more codes than a basic reader.

Jack
Apologies Jack what I was trying to get at was it would be great to have something that would enable the average owner to do stuff that would be beneficial to them in the main stream, the unit I was referring to I agree in my first post it looks be a reader and thank you for pointing me in the right direction, no harm in asking.

I still wonder why it is so hard for the manufacturers to let this happen but can see from the news that little by little they are adding things that people will find really useful like speed limiters when the car is being driven by certain members of the family, lane detection, ACC, auto start in winter and summer with options etc.

Will keep on top of this as like I have said WHY is it so hard considering that the tech is already there in our cars? Probably to do with money/profit.

·
Registered
211 Posts
You can control aspects of your car, however, you need a good knowledge of the CANBUS parameters, a CANBUS sniffer and sender.

I've looked into it and if you Google 'CANBUS Hacking' it's actually pretty cool stuff.

·
Registered
2,416 Posts
You can control aspects of your car, however, you need a good knowledge of the CANBUS parameters, a CANBUS sniffer and sender.

I've looked into it and if you Google 'CANBUS Hacking' it's actually pretty cool stuff.
Yes your right. The Canbus signals can be read and data transmitted with external electronics but I suspect NOT with the scanner we were discussing.

jack

·
Registered
211 Posts
It doesn't look like you can with that scanner.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
It doesn't look like you can with that scanner.
Yes your right. The Canbus signals can be read and data transmitted with external electronics but I suspect NOT with the scanner we were discussing.

jack
Thanks Jack/Badger this is what I am intending on completing one way or another :)

1. Windows (front Only - auto rear are another project) and sunroof closure (if open) on locking of car.
2. Wing mirrors fold/unfold with lock/unlock.
3. Chirp for locking of car.
I think that's it for now and will make complete my 300C :)

I have auto start fitted already and have got the programing unit to see what else can be activated on start-up i.e. seats rear window defrost.

I have started researching the use of some tools and have come across this

a complete guide to hacking your vehicle bus on the cheap & easy ? part 1 (hardware interface) |

to achieve this but its a bit daunting on the net as so much to find but knowing were to start is difficult too.

Still searching the forum for more info too.

Just found this so looks interesting so far.

https://canb.us/

·
Registered
211 Posts
Thanks Jack/Badger this is what I am intending on completing one way or another :)

1. Windows (front Only - auto rear are another project) and sunroof closure (if open) on locking of car.
2. Wing mirrors fold/unfold with lock/unlock.
3. Chirp for locking of car.
I think that's it for now and will make complete my 300C :)

I have auto start fitted already and have got the programing unit to see what else can be activated on start-up i.e. seats rear window defrost.

I have started researching the use of some tools and have come across this

a complete guide to hacking your vehicle bus on the cheap & easy ? part 1 (hardware interface) |

to achieve this but its a bit daunting on the net as so much to find but knowing were to start is difficult too.

Still searching the forum for more info too.

Just found this so looks interesting so far.

https://canb.us/
This is a really useful post!

Reading with interest as I've got a old VCDS Can cable I can modify :)

I've also got Tranzformer plummed into the car, but it's a shame it's not open source firmware to play with the coding...

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
This is a really useful post!

Reading with interest as I've got a old VCDS Can cable I can modify :)

I've also got Tranzformer plummed into the car, but it's a shame it's not open source firmware to play with the coding...
I am sure if I can complete this list it will be great for everyone else with Gen1's and make there life easier as well as mine :)

I don't have a lot of experience with wiring and reading the diagrams but willing to use my car to experiment on. (er-indoors didn't here me say that!!)

I am willing to spend some dosh on accomplishing this.

·
Premium Member
7,948 Posts

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I'm pretty certain that the machine gives no real functionality over & above a standard OBD unit...in fact it seems to do less than a Diablosport tuner. I'm afraid the only machines that REALLY let you alter stuff are the starscan & star mobile units (& starscan is pretty defunct from what I understand)....anyway its all extremely expensive.... read this article Chrysler Starscan, StarMobile, wiTECH & DRB III | eBay
Just bought the CanBus Triple and interface for the OBD port so when it arrives I will be having a good poke around and watching what the car is doing/talking and hopefully after a bit of practice start introducing commands to the car for the stuff I want to happen when I do certain operations cant wait >:D

Will keep everyone posted and put up a video when I have been successful.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Here's something useful

Meanwhile, Mercedes-Benz confirmed that several individual components were shared from within the DaimlerChrysler Group, including the ESP system, the CAN Bus electrical architecture, the five-speed automatic transmission and several other electrical modules.
Wonder if you can get some W211 Mercedes CanBus info?

·
Registered
2,416 Posts
Just bought the CanBus Triple and interface for the OBD port so when it arrives I will be having a good poke around and watching what the car is doing/talking and hopefully after a bit of practice start introducing commands to the car for the stuff I want to happen when I do certain operations cant wait >:D

Will keep everyone posted and put up a video when I have been successful.

I can't fault your enthusiasm and confidence and honestly wish you all the best.

It's a very big task you have set yourself and I think you will struggle, but well done and keep us informed.

Jack

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I can't fault your enthusiasm and confidence and honestly wish you all the best.

It's a very big task you have set yourself and I think you will struggle, but well done and keep us informed.

Jack
Thank Jack :)

But I think Chrysler has put a firewall/gateway between the CanBus/s and the OBD port so will have to tap into the CanBus somewhere else if this is the case, still trying to find out how many CanBuses it has as it could be 2 or possibly three or could even be one hopefully. Just waiting to hear back from a tech at my dealers that I know well.

Work in IT and networks are my thing so it shouldn't be to massive a job as used to the 1's and 0's hex and all that.

·
Registered
211 Posts

But I think Chrysler has put a firewall/gateway between the CanBus/s and the OBD port so will have to tap into the CanBus somewhere else if this is the case, still trying to find out how many CanBuses it has as it could be 2 or possibly three or could even be one hopefully. Just waiting to hear back from a tech at my dealers that I know well.

Work in IT and networks are my thing so it shouldn't be to massive a job as used to the 1's and 0's hex and all that.
I believe it has a high/fast and low/slow CANBUS network (CAN-B and CAN-C)

The TranZformer connects directly to the CANBUS wires underneath the steering wheel so this might have to be your option. You could solder directly to the CANBUS wires and direct feed to the OBD-II port with some pins?

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
I believe it has a high/fast and low/slow CANBUS network (CAN-B and CAN-C)

The TranZformer connects directly to the CANBUS wires underneath the steering wheel so this might have to be your option. You could solder directly to the CANBUS wires and direct feed to the OBD-II port with some pins?
Yes seen that configuration too but will find out over the next few days. I presume that it will have at least 2 buses then as the TranZformer interacts with the engine side of the car which is on a different bus (possibly the C bus as needs to be faster for the amount of data swilling around) Not sure why if it is the C bus why it is connected to the steering wheel (maybe because of the air bag?) Depends on how easy it is to access the wires under the steering wheel I suppose.

Not to worried about messing with the engine/gearbox/performance CanBus at present but from what I have seen with the infotainment bus on these is where the nodes/modules units I want to change are located.

I will probably tap into the CanBus behind the My Gig as this should be on the same bus as the steering wheel (i.e. multimedia buttons) and much easier to get too and should include the central locking/mirrors and roof etc.

Think I will be going with a Pi and leave it attached 24/7 as the draw on the battery will be nowhere near enough to flatten the car overnight or even after a week of no use (as far as I know with research so far) With the Pi I can connect to it over Wi-Fi which will make things easier to investigate play with etc..

From what I have been reading is that although you are in buses on the car unless you actually try to flash units/modules then it should be quite safe as if you send a command and its wrong it will either be ignored by the modules or do nothing or do what you meant it to do.

Cant wait to get started on this :)

·
Registered
211 Posts
Yes seen that configuration too but will find out over the next few days. I presume that it will have at least 2 buses then as the TranZformer interacts with the engine side of the car which is on a different bus (possibly the C bus as needs to be faster for the amount of data swilling around) Not sure why if it is the C bus why it is connected to the steering wheel (maybe because of the air bag?) Depends on how easy it is to access the wires under the steering wheel I suppose....

The wires are very easy to access (three screws) and CAN C controls major components (ABS, TCM and for the TranZformer - Cruise control Stalk) and CAN B is for steering wheel module, alarm, door locks, windows etc...

The wiring diagram is perfect on showing what system runs CAN B and CAN C (no other buses listed) ::wink::

Only issues I can see is speeds and protocol however, my research leads me to find that some Mercedes Models use the same Canbus Systems.

·
Registered
2,416 Posts

The Canbus at the OBD socket is still "CAN C" but it is for diagnostic purposes only. It is isolated from the 2 other Buses so as you say you would need to get at the connections elsewhere. The other buses are one off Can C and one off Can B. I believe.

Jack

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.