Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

I don't write english tht well so I'm already sorry for stupid mistakes.

I have my 06 300C touring for a couple of months now and I have a problem with my radio.
While driving it sometimes shuts off and restarts. The moment it shuts off the LED's of the park-assist lit up for about a second.
I already looked in the easter egg menu for errors and it says "CANBUS".

According 2 me it's a bad contact between 2 wires, but I'm nor sure and I don't know where the bad contact is.

I'm not a mecanic so I'm not a afan of stripping my car.

Any suggestions?

I already posted this thread in an other section becaus I didn't ran into this one. I hope that's not a problem.

·
Registered
3,083 Posts
Your english is perfect.

I assume your car is the petrol version if you got an error message saying CANBUS on the EVIC.
Otherwise a message on EVIC that says "Wake on CANBUS" is quite normal and is just identifying what woke the system from sleeping.

Think this has cropped up before and others may help. Best way would probably be to pull the fuse for the Park Assist system and drive like that for a while to see if it stops the radio going off. I cant remember what else is supplied by the Park Assist fuse so other equipment will be lost while the fuse is pulled.
Alternatively it may be a radio fault disturbing the Park Assist. Possible overheating problem on radio ?

IGNORE THE ABOVE INITIALLY. FIRST THING TO TRY.
Locate the HIDT translator module under the bonnet towards the very front of the car. Sorry no picture as im not at home.
It can be safely unplugged and run the car without it connected. Its a messaging translator for the lights and everything will operate as normal without it.

When these modules fail they can cause the exact symptoms you describe.
Jack

·
Administrator
19,626 Posts
The problem can be found at a couple of main harness connections, the PCM main harness connection at the firewall near the right side of the vehicle and on the front control module main harness connection at the firewall near the left side of the vehicle.

The other potential may be the connection at two main power sources, one at the auxilary power post under the hood near the fuse box and the other at the battery.

Check them all and make sure the connections are tight, clean and free of dirt or corrosion.

·
Registered
262 Posts
I was wondering what the Translater Module did, a quick google, this may be useful to someone,

http://www.lxforums.com/board/showthread.php/54581-Help-How-to-adjust-low-beam-aim

HEADLAMP LEVELING MODULE - EXPORT
DESCRIPTION
The Headlamp Leveling Module or HID Translator
Module is the remote electronic sub-component of the
headlamp leveling system. The HID translator module
is used to translate communication of the headlamps
leveling system. The sensors communicate over a
K-Line to the headlamp stepper motors, then to the
translator module. To enable the scan tool to read system
inputs and outputs, and to retrieve Diagnostic
Trouble Codes (DTC’s), the translator module must
convert this K-Line date into Controller Area Network
(CAN) data.
The HID translator module is located inside the right
front engine compartment, just behind the headlamp
unit. It is mounted to a stamped steel bracket by one
fastener and has one electrical connector that connects
it to the wiring harness.
OPERATION
The system is designed to automatically level the vehicle, regardless of cargo or passenger loads. When the vehicle
is loaded with passengers and/or cargo, as the ignition is turned to RUN, the system will look at the front and rear
sensors and make an adjustment based upon feedback from the sensor to see if it has approximately 27.5 degrees
from its zero or neutral position. The headlamp stepper motor then adjusts the headlamp up or down for proper
headlamp aiming.
Note: If the headlamp leveling module (HID translator module) is replaced, the system needs to be calibrated
using a Scan Tool.
When in calibration mode, the vehicle doors, trunk/liftgate, and hood must be closed. In addition, the vehicle may
not be touched (bounced or bumped) until the calibration is complete. The headlamps must be ON to power the
stepper motors. The approximate calibration time is 12 - 15 seconds. The scan tool will display a “status of calibration”
message. These being either “still in progress”, “passed”, or “failed.”
If a system fault occurs, the translator module will store the Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) and enable it to be read
using the scan tool and assist in diagnosing the headlamp leveling system.

·
Registered
3,672 Posts
See location of HID Translator module which it is safe to unplug.
Its the one in the Centre LH side of picture behind the washer bottle fill cap.
Slightly off topic, Jack, but I noticed in your attached pic that the Front Control Module (FCM) at the front of the fuse box looks quite different from mine. Yours looks like plastic, whereas mine is metal. Also, the cable harnesses at the bottom look like a neater installation. If you recall, I recently had a problem with reading lights which wouldn't switch off (problem hasn't re-occurred) and I suspected water ingress in the FCM, so I wonder if this problem had been a known issue and had prompted a re-design. Or maybe Chrysler just wanted to save money by switching from metal to plastic?

·
Registered
3,083 Posts
Slightly off topic, Jack, but I noticed in your attached pic that the Front Control Module (FCM) at the front of the fuse box looks quite different from mine. Yours looks like plastic, whereas mine is metal. Also, the cable harnesses at the bottom look like a neater installation. If you recall, I recently had a problem with reading lights which wouldn't switch off (problem hasn't re-occurred) and I suspected water ingress in the FCM, so I wonder if this problem had been a known issue and had prompted a re-design. Or maybe Chrysler just wanted to save money by switching from metal to plastic?

Yes they were changed as you say.
Think it was in 2008 when quite a few electrical changes were made.

Mine is a 2008 BTW.

I think the FCM is just another name for a fuse/relay box to honest. I don't think there is any fancy electronics bits in there, but I'm not sure, (Or at least there doesn't appear to be in mine)
On mine Chrysler call it a TIPM (Totally Integrated Power Module). Again just another name for a fuse/relay box I believe.

Jack

·
Registered
3,672 Posts
I think my FCM is a separate entity from the fuse/relay unit (PCM). According to the service manual it does control the operation of interior lights and wipers and quite a few other functions. For the wipers, it processes the output from the rain sensor, so it must provide some "intelligence". As your module has been re-named "TPIM", it does suggest a major re-design for the 2008 model.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Thank you all for the fast answers.

Do I have to plug it back in after a while or not? And if I don't what will not work?

I just disconnected the HIDT. Very nice pic, realy easy this way!

I'm meeting a colleage of mine. He has a OBDII scan-tool and we'll see what that say.

Really great guy's!

matser

·
Registered
3,083 Posts
Thank you all for the fast answers.

Do I have to plug it back in after a while or not? And if I don't what will not work?

I just disconnected the HIDT. Very nice pic, realy easy this way!

I'm meeting a colleage of mine. He has a OBDII scan-tool and we'll see what that say.

Really great guy's!

matser
It may take a while for you to prove that unplugging it has solved the problem.
You can safely leave it unplugged as long as you wish. All it does is tranfer any errors detected on the lighting system to the CAN-bus system so the codes can be read by an OBD scanner. Its of little use really.

The units do actually go faulty to cause the symptoms you have.
You should leave it unplugged until you are sure your fault symptoms have gone then try plugging it in again and see if the fault re-occurs.
If it does you either need a new module or just continue to run without that particular module plugged in. It will mot cause any problems without it. You will obviously know if your headlights stop working because it will be hard to see things when its dark outside. Lol

Jack

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I unplugged the HIDT yesterday and just took mt car for a spin.
The radio never fell out! I hope this stay's the way it is.

I went to a colleage with a OBDII scantool and 3 errors popped up:

P0280
U24FE
P02E4

I have a big ass manual (9538p) downloaded and I'm going to look up what it's for

·
Registered
9,851 Posts
Fault Code: P0280

EOBD / ISO Description
Cylinder 7 Injector Circuit High

Component / System Description
Most injectors have traditionally used a solenoid (contained within the injector body) to open the injector. Later injector designs make use of Piezo actuators instead of solenoids. Note that injector operating voltages on some applications are considerably higher than "battery voltage" traditionally used on solenoid injectors; these systems can use a separate injector power module to deliver the power and control signal to the injectors.

Meaningful description and quick check
Identify the type of injector and the wiring / control modules used on the system. The value of the control signal (e.g. voltage, frequency etc) in the injector circuit is either at full value (e.g. battery voltage with no on / off signal) or, the signal exists but it is above the normal operating range. Possible fault with injector or wiring (e.g. injector power supply, short / open circuit or resistance) that is causing a signal value to be higher than the maximum operating limit. Note: The control unit (ECU) could be providing the correct signal but it is being affected by a circuit fault. It is possible that the when the control unit completes the earth path for the injector, the voltage on the earth circuit remains at supply voltage level e.g. battery voltage instead of dropping to zero (or close to zero); this could be caused by a open circuit, poor earth for the control unit or control unit fault.

NOTE 1. Check for other fault codes that could provide additional information. NOTE 2. If a fault cannot be located with the applicable components or wiring, it may be necessary to check operation of the control unit (ECU). NOTE 3. Communication between control units / modules can pass through a CAN-Bus system; check for CAN-Bus related faults and fault codes

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Maybe a stupid question:
I have a 6 cilinder car... where is cil no 7??
the code wasn't in my manual. it's specificly for the 06 CRD.

And did you perhaps find anything for the other two code's?
They weren't in the manual either.

·
Registered
3,672 Posts
I went to a colleage with a OBDII scantool and 3 errors popped up:

P0280
U24FE
P02E4

I have a big ass manual (9538p) downloaded and I'm going to look up what it's for
The codes appear to be hexadecimal:

P0280 = P0640 decimal (not in my manual).
U24FE = U9470 decimal (not in my manual.
P02E4 = P0740 decimal (TCC out of range).

·
Registered
9,851 Posts
Nor me (about cyl 7) but that's what my system came up with,I only copied and pasted,also the other codes were not found.
I just googled the code and they're all saying cyl 7 the same as my system even for a Subaru,didn't know they did an engine with more than 6 cyl's???

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Hi,

My radio haven't turned off once since I unplugged the HIDT! SUPER!

And about the codes, I did the readout a couple of times and I always had other codes.
The OBDII-tool is only for German cars. I found mine in Benz, E-class, e210, 320 CDI.
So I gues the readout hasn't mutch credibility. Most times I did the readout I get 3 codes, sometimes 4.

The most inportant thing is that everything works.

·
Registered
3,083 Posts
Hi,

My radio haven't turned off once since I unplugged the HIDT! SUPER!

And about the codes, I did the readout a couple of times and I always had other codes.
The OBDII-tool is only for German cars. I found mine in Benz, E-class, e210, 320 CDI.
So I gues the readout hasn't mutch credibility. Most times I did the readout I get 3 codes, sometimes 4.

The most inportant thing is that everything works.
Best to ignore tge codes then. Problem wasnt really related to them anyway.
You could try plugging HIDT module back in just to confirm it is faulty and not just a strange fault that happened to appear.
If you definitley prove its faulty are you going to buy one .?

jack

1 - 20 of 21 Posts