Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i am having problems removing one rear rotor for changeover. starts to come loose then feels like it's spring loaded. i've been putting a fair bit of pressure on it but am getting worried about breaking something. all 3 of the others came off no problem. anyone else have this problem or know what is holding it?/ thanks

·
Registered
5,393 Posts
un-adjust the E brake shoe through the holes in the drum part of the disc,it's obviously worn a lip on the face of the drum and the shoes are catching the lip stopping the whole thing coming off(thats due to incorrect E brake shoe adjustment by someone) keep un-adjusting it until the disc comes off,don't forget to adjust it back up when replacing the disc

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
got it. the e brake pad material came away from the shoe and was holding it. broke part of the pad off. oh well. i don't like the ebrake anyway

·
Premium Member
3,499 Posts
got it. the e brake pad material came away from the shoe and was holding it. broke part of the pad off. oh well. i don't like the ebrake anyway
Yet another whose ebrake pad material has separated from the shoe?

·
Premium Member
3,499 Posts
Well, I joined the ranks of those with failed e-brake shoes today.
I was doing a three-point turn and was backing out of the neighbor's driveway when I thought I drove over something. The noise was horrendous and the car shuddered. I got out and had a look. Found nothing. As I drove off the car moved normally, and then a few clunks and bangs. I thought the rearend had thrown a tooth and was chewing it up!
I pulled the left rear wheel and worked my way through getting the brake rotor off. And there it was: one of the brake shoe's friction pads had separated from the metal part of the brake shoe. Obviously not a good thing.
I don't hardly ever use my e-brake, except last week when I parked off the street at the top of my driveway to keep the street clear for the annual Spring street sweeping. Using the e-brake may have hastened the ultimate failure, but from the rust on the surface where the friction material had popped off it was just a matter of time anyway. The other shoe's friction material is just hanging on at one end.
So I'll be getting into the Zone tomorrow and put things right (weather-permitting)shortly thereafter.

·
Premium Member
3,499 Posts
Trashed!

Here's what I found upon removing the right rear brake rotor:

The rotor itself had to be pried off of the hub due to all of the misaligned trash rolling around inside the e-brake hub. When I finally got the rotor to pop off the trash inside fell out like the guts of the shark in the movie 'Jaws'. The backing plate is warped and gouged. The adjuster is all galled. The springs are all stretched and/or twisted. The shoes are friction-pad-less. The pieces of it are in the pile. The clips that hold the shoes to the backing plate are are bent beyond recognition. Of the two pins that serve as anchors for those clips: one is missing and the other had been decapitated. The mechanism that attaches to the e-brake cable is mutilated. and the end of the cable is buggered. A chunk of the casting that holds the cable end mechanism has been shear off.
All in all it's a mess and will have to go to the stealership to get fixed as (by my estimation) the wheel bearing hub will have to be removed to replace the backing plate and brake shoe mounting pins and clips.

·
Premium Member
3,499 Posts
The stealership called this morning with the bad news: approximately $1,500.00 for a litany of parts and labor. They hope to have it ready tomorrow.
Until then........................

·
Premium Member
3,499 Posts
As promised

Well here it is, all $1,485.04 (discounted, wink wink) worth:

So, if you want to avoid the same problem, get your e-brake shoes replaced before they fall apart!

·
Premium Member
3,499 Posts
Well since picking up the car last Friday evening I:
1) drove the car home 1 mile. Tested the e-brake on my sloped driveway. It took two stabs on the pedal to hold
the car. Not bad, especially on my driveway.
2) drove 100+ miles round trip on Easter Sunday to visit with mother-in-law and other relatives. Car ran fine.
Didn't notice anything unusual. The return trip was in rain all except for the last 5 miles. A bit nerve racking
as I had just re-installed the Diablo tune for the summer.
3) the car sat all week until this evening when we went out to dinner. Upon applying the brakes at the end of the
block I felt/heard a rumbling/pulsating feel/sound. It did this everytime I used the brakes over a 10 mile
roundtrip.

So I guess its back to the stealership on Monday to see if they put everything back together properly. Or to hear them blame the original 54K-mile brake pads. This on top of having to take my wife's Equinox back to an independent mechanic after having the A/C condenser replaced and the A/C not making cold at idle.
Twas not a good week for our cars!
Oh well, the Equinox goes in first thing, then back home for the Chrysler.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Spin the gear its behind a rubber boot located behind the rear rotor. This is the parking brake that locks onto the rotor. Watch this video and then you'll understand.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts