Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I have a couple of trips on the horizon and am thinking about one of these .... I think they are ugly, but would like to protect the new wheels as best I can.

Anyone on here used one? Are they difficult to fit to a 300C (particularly around the number plate). Are they expensive?

Cheers

·
Registered
302 Posts
Hi all,

I have a couple of trips on the horizon and am thinking about one of these .... I think they are ugly, but would like to protect the new wheels as best I can.

Anyone on here used one? Are they difficult to fit to a 300C (particularly around the number plate). Are they expensive?

Cheers

Hi mate,

I have that exact car bra. I've used it when I drove my 300C up to Steve at RDP for my conversion and Steve had it on the way back down.

Its easy to install, you just change a couple of nuts on the inside of the wheel arch with those supplied and the car bra just clips on. Its made from a pretty good material and the few times that I've used it, there have been no scratches or permanent marks on the car.

I have a front chin spoiler as well, but the clips are elastic and are able to stretch and it still covers the whole front of the car.

Hope that this helps.

Cheers,
Paulo

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi mate,

I have that exact car bra. I've used it when I drove my 300C up to Steve at RDP for my conversion and Steve had it on the way back down.

Its easy to install, you just change a couple of nuts on the inside of the wheel arch with those supplied and the car bra just clips on. Its made from a pretty good material and the few times that I've used it, there have been no scratches or permanent marks on the car.

I have a front chin spoiler as well, but the clips are elastic and are able to stretch and it still covers the whole front of the car.

Hope that this helps.

Cheers,
Paulo
Thanks Paulo - does the car bra cover the front number plate?

Cheers

·
Registered
302 Posts
Mine has a clear plastic number plate cut-out so that the front number plate is visible. The one in your picture there doesn't have this bit.

Also, there are a couple of small optional cut-out pieces for the washers on the front headlights that you can cut-out if you're that keen.

Cheers,
Paulo

·
Registered
97 Posts
I wouldn't do it. I used one on my calais a few years ago on a trip from melbourne to Townsville... when we got to Townsville, there was a wear mark from one gaurd to the other straight across the bonnet... Not to mention a tear in the bra that cost me $150 to get repaired... If you do get and use it, make sure you take it off immediately if there is even a hint of rain as I have seen cars that water logged bra's have worn right through the paint when left on in the rain. Mine was the "Original Car Bra", I think they are in Campbellfield in Melbourne...

·
Premium Member
5,268 Posts
No way I would even consider using one myself. The car looks like a bad joke and the driver IMO looks like a wanker (apologies, I have been champing at the bit to use that word for a while).

They are renown for causing damage.

Others have applied the stick on protective but even though I am paranoid about the condition of my car I do accept the odd chip or two. If you feel you are that paranoid about your car, how will you deal with chips on the wheel arches, sides, etc.? All part of using the car.

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
Guess we are all doing our best to protect our precious 300C, but a car bra is really defeating the purpose of having a 300C. It is sort of like having a "Mona Lisa" in your living room but cover it up with dust bin linnings. I get scratches and dents along the side of my car, few stone chips aren't that obvious. (my failing eyesight also helps)

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
I have one for my 300c, this is my 3rd CarBra from Annie, I can see your points for not having one but where I live in a small remote mining town where the roads are punished from hundreds of tripple road trains a year carrying items from cattle to copper and lead I have the need for one while I am on my way driving to the Coast for holidays, this is the only time I use mine and usally I remove mine when I reach my destination and pack it in the boot until the trip home but I have been known to leave it on for a few weeks at a time while I am away. I haven't fitted my latest one to my 300c yet but if your keen and want a look I could find sometime to do it for you and post a pic,

FYI, I paid just over $400 for my black version from CarBra which included door to door express delivery, I know she charges more for them if you want them in colour, the last one I bought was white which she charged my alot more.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Here's a photo of a CarBra set up.

$440 for black, $473 for silver - delivered to your door.

Cheers

·
Premium Member
299 Posts
I have used a car bra on many occassions, as well as the spray on film that is supposed to protect. As long as you take the car bra off when it rains, and don't leave it on the car for extended periods, (see days at a time), you will be fine. The spray on film is also great, but a pain to get off. The car bra was easier.

I don't have one for the 300, coz I am not fussed about a couple of stone chips, but I do have one for my GTS.

The colour coded ones make the bra look a part of the car. At $440.00 delivered, (Australian Car Bra are very easy to deal with), it's cheaper than painting one panel on the 300 due to the difficult colours available here.

·
Premium Member
5,268 Posts
James, you are on the ball as usual. :nono:

Fortunately my physique does not make a man bra necessary.

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
I have one for my 300c............I haven't fitted my latest one to my 300c yet but if your keen and want a look I could find sometime to do it for you and post a pic,
Here is mine, well in preparation for my holiday I decided I had to raise my 300c back to factory height today, while I was there with the rims removed I had a chance to drill out and fit the car bra, not quite a good fit as the last one I bought for the cooks commodore but it will do the job never the less (possibly due to the thicker prestige number plate?)

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for that photo. :)

Yours was a CarBra one?

Am interested to where/how it was not a good fit?

Cheers

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
Thanks for that photo. :)

Yours was a CarBra one?

Am interested to where/how it was not a good fit?

Cheers
No worries :) , Yeah this is a genuine Carbra, has a patch sewn on the left hand side of the bra with their logo and contact details, The fitment wasn't really the best on this one, the left hand side is good and the righthand side is poor, the left hand front amber bumper light is half covered and also about a quarter of the left hand front foglight the same. I am hoping it will stretch in good time but its good enough for me not to worry about ringing them up and complaining. I am travelling away on holidays in a few days so I will get it on again before I travel so I will take a better pic for you.

There are really 2 reasons why I always use them, 1st is for stone chips and 2nd is for protecting my air con condensor and radiator core from grass hoppers etc.....I just pull into a car wash and literally pressure clean off about 5mm of debris off the front of the carbra, use a little dishes detergent and hose if off, hang it off your clothes line for a day and then pack it away for next time plus the front end of car your still looks brand new and your grill hasn't been sand blasted :)

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
By the sounds not alot of fans for the carbra:twak:

..........wonder how quick this will sink too :pat: ........just a little something I am working on and off with :biggrin: :biggrin:

·
Registered
91 Posts
I bought one from Car Bra Aus in Reservior. I use it regularly for country runs. it fits well. The guy at Car Bra fitted it initially and just punched 3 holes in the fibre board inside the gaurds for the elastic straps to fit into. The rest of the straps clip on anywhere under the front..I gor a black one ,it was no more than $340. The clears cover the number plate and headlights and fog lights.I am very happy with its performance and there are absolutely no marks from its use. When I return home from a country run especially a night run I am very happy seeing all that crap on the bra and not on the car....

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
No worries :) , Yeah this is a genuine Carbra, has a patch sewn on the left hand side of the bra with their logo and contact details, The fitment wasn't really the best on this one, the left hand side is good and the righthand side is poor, the left hand front amber bumper light is half covered and also about a quarter of the left hand front foglight the same. I am hoping it will stretch in good time but its good enough for me not to worry about ringing them up and complaining. I am travelling away on holidays in a few days so I will get it on again before I travel so I will take a better pic for you.

There are really 2 reasons why I always use them, 1st is for stone chips and 2nd is for protecting my air con condensor and radiator core from grass hoppers etc.....I just pull into a car wash and literally pressure clean off about 5mm of debris off the front of the carbra, use a little dishes detergent and hose if off, hang it off your clothes line for a day and then pack it away for next time plus the front end of car your still looks brand new and your grill hasn't been sand blasted :)
Thanks for that - I am assuming these CarBra ones would be fitted similar to how the factory ones are fitted?

http://site.wyckoffchryslerparts.com/instructions/82208524_82208840.pdf

Enjoy your holidays!:fing02:

Cheers

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
Well got back from a 4,000km trip and the front of the car looks fantastic, the bra caught alot of butterflys, bugs, grass hoppers and even a few small green frogs poor buggers, just pressure cleaned it from time to time when I was driving past a car wash along the way.......

....only thing I wasn't happy with was then a truck or large 4WD towing a caravan passed me heading in the opposite direction the carbra would start to flap around violently across the whole length on the top of the bonnet from the sudden rush of air heading towards me, only thing I can think of is from the LARGE opening left to show the full grill, not necessary in my opinion that the open mesh needs to be that large, I call them when I get a chance and ask them about this. I have never had this issue with my other 2 bras on my other cars, both were Holdens though, the cooks VZ Commodore V6 and my old Statesman, it was running the Gen III 5.7i also and only had a grill opening a quarter the size of the 300c for cooling so I reckon that has to be the drama.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks for the update - hope you have a good holiday! The rear DVD players would have worked wonders with the kids?!

I was quoted from CarBra $440 for one in black, and $473 for a silver one (delivered to my door).

A genuine Mopar accessory car bra in black (even has the Chrysler badge stamped into the vinyl on top of grill opening) ended up costing me a total of $268 AUD delivered to my front door from the U.S.

Cheers

1 - 20 of 25 Posts