Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Something worth a chat about.

Who has had a problem with either there car or wheels or anything being stolen?

Have people changed, upgraded their security.

Which wheel locking nuts are best?

Just thought I’d start a thread which will really help first time owners.

·
Registered
12 Posts
No problems. I did install the Mopar wheel lock kit P/N 82208724. There are a few different P/N's, this one is for the alum. wheels on the SRT8 vehicles. List price $43.70 payed $38.00 from my local Dodge dealer. They are nicely finished and appear to be well made. Because it's a mopar part I suspect it meets their salt durability tests. Not bad whenever you have to buy a chrome part these days.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Jason,

Great thread! :cool: I've been wondering the same things. I know it's not exactly the same, but a few months ago, I had my wheels stolen off of an Escalade, while it was sitting in my driveway, while I was AWAKE, and I didnt hear a thing. Keep in mind, that I DID have locking lug nuts on there, but no alarm. Needless to say, that's the last time I leave any car parked outside without one heck of a security system. They did the job in under 10 minutes, silently, and busted the locking lug nuts clean off there.

For all of the car audio/security buffs out there, which security system do you reccomend? I've heard good things about Compustar. I was thinking of adding the top of the line Compustar system, and installing a shock sensor underneath the car, in case someone tried to jack/lift the vehicle to get to the wheels.

I would also like to find some Locking Lug Nuts to where every lug was different and had a locking mechanism. I don't know what kind of tool the people used to get my wheels off, but my locking (single) lug nuts did NOTHING to stop it from happening. It was like they werent even on there.

Any suggestions?

·
Premium Member
2,239 Posts
DarkSyde said:
. I don't know what kind of tool the people used to get my wheels off, but my locking (single) lug nuts did NOTHING to stop it from happening. It was like they werent even on there.

That's why I never bothered with them; you can get "locking lug nut" removers from any tool truck ( i.e. SnapOn, Matco, Mac) and of course they have a legitimate use, for tire stores when people have lost their key or bought the car with them already on there - - but you can bet that the theives know all about these tools also. Basically they are tapered sockets that you drive onto the locking lugs nuts with a hammer, and the have splines or "teeth" that dig into the outside of the wheel lock. Like many security measures wheel locks might stop the amateur but if someone really wants your wheels they'll probably get them.

·
Registered
231 Posts
I have the mopar wheel lock kit too. Looks great, hopefully it performs the same way it looks.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
kevenj said:
That's why I never bothered with them; you can get "locking lug nut" removers from any tool truck ( i.e. SnapOn, Matco, Mac) and of course they have a legitimate use, for tire stores when people have lost their key or bought the car with them already on there - - but you can bet that the theives know all about these tools also. Basically they are tapered sockets that you drive onto the locking lugs nuts with a hammer, and the have splines or "teeth" that dig into the outside of the wheel lock. Like many security measures wheel locks might stop the amateur but if someone really wants your wheels they'll probably get them.
Well said kevenj. As a Goodyear retiree having operated several Goodyear retail/commercial sales/service locations, when we were faced with a 'lost wheel lock key' predicament, we would many times just simply utilize an over-sized socket to do exactly the same thing, as too many vehicle owners neglected to store their wheel lock keys in a safe place inside their vehicle. Unfortunately, wheel locks are a 'false sense of security', and only 'keep the honest guy honest'. Trust me, most professional thieves will just steal your entire vehicle instead...and are able to do so within minutes, without being noticed, and without making any noticeable sounds. :wink1:

·
Registered
7,068 Posts
I often wonder how good some of those "bells & whistles" security systems are. In south florida you can't go two feet in a shopping mall or public parking place without someone's security system going off. Everyone ignores it and just goes about their business. I have seen towing companies with a car on the flat bed going down the road with the security system howling.
Solution? One of the several companies that offer GPS tracking???

·
Registered
46 Posts
kevenj said:
On my last car with custom wheels, 16" ENKEI's on a 84 TBird, I used "Gorilla Full Wheel locks" It basically is a set of locking lug nuts for every stud. Sure, they can be removed with the tapered socket or oversize socket driven on with a hammer, but there are a lot more of them to do. My reasoning was that a thief would rather not take the time to break 16 wheel locks when there were other cars with only 4. Soon after getting them, I went out in the morning to go to work to find my cousin's Camaro up on bricks with the wheels gone. My car was sitting next to it with no damage. It could be that his stock IROC rims were more desirable than my rims, but I was glad I had the Gorilla locks on it. It seems like they were quite reasonable at the time, about $40 or $50 for the set of 16. Here is a link to some that fit under the stock wheel cap of the 300C:

Gorilla Full Wheel Locks

·
Registered
187 Posts
I got some chrome spincaps. Ain't nobody going to steel my valve stems now :27:

Attachments

·
Registered
12 Posts
The mopar locks have a stainless steel band around the lock. I looks as if it designed to spin if a socket or other devise was forced over the nut. Will it stop a pro? NOT. Will it slow down a novice fool looking for free wheels, may be so. There are far more rookies than pros so if spending $40 might save my wheels I'll spend it. At least someone will have to work a little to steal my wheels. Not locking your wheels is like not locking your house. Try telling your wife locking the house is a waste of time because a pro can get in anytime.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
thanks guys

Well it looks like wheels are as far as we have gone. I've had a car stolen before and the wheels were the target. Since Chrysler is the one whos going to have to put the nuts off and on i'm going to get them all locked.
Anyone tried the remote starter kit. For those cold mornings.

La Hemi said:
The mopar locks have a stainless steel band around the lock. I looks as if it designed to spin if a socket or other devise was forced over the nut. Will it stop a pro? NOT. Will it slow down a novice fool looking for free wheels, may be so. There are far more rookies than pros so if spending $40 might save my wheels I'll spend it. At least someone will have to work a little to steal my wheels. Not locking your wheels is like not locking your house. Try telling your wife locking the house is a waste of time because a pro can get in anytime.

·
Registered
563 Posts
Mr.DJ said:
Well said kevenj[/I Trust me, most professional thieves will just steal your entire vehicle instead...and are able to do so within minutes, without being noticed, and without making any noticeable sounds. :wink1:

Not without a flatbed, they wont.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Back in the day I used to have an 87 Iroc. I used to pull a fuel injector fuse and it saved my car from being stolen (no theft insurance) It saved my car from being stolen out of a mall parking lot. Much easier to replace the column with a junkyard one. I was so pissed and proud of myself at the same time that night. :evil: :banana:

·
Registered
37 Posts
jasonnjames said:
Something worth a chat about.

Who has had a problem with either there car or wheels or anything being stolen?

Have people changed, upgraded their security.

Which wheel locking nuts are best?

Just thought I’d start a thread which will really help first time owners.
I'll be the first to chime in with confirmation. My OEM wheels were stolen 2-months ago. WHILE PARKED IN MY DRIVEWAY OVERNIGHT. I know, I know, why not the garage....I have a Vette also, and the wife has the other spot.

My car sat on cinder-blocks for a week, because as you all know, there is NO space saver spare, and the replacement wheels had to be ordered and shipped in. They actually had to mount the wheels and drive them to my house to get it off the cinder blocks to drive over to the bodyshop.

A little paint touch-up..everything is back to normal. The dealer threw in some McGuard wheel locks, but as we know, they are simply a deterrant, not a block.

These wheels will be in hot demand, so to all.....BE CAREFUL!

BTW, the wife parks in the DRIVEWAY now.

MichSRT8

·
Registered
37 Posts
Lastly....the one thing I WOULD get is a motion sensor integrated with the existing system. That way, even if a thief had wheel locks, the movement of the vehicle would set off an alarm.

MichSRT8

1 - 15 of 15 Posts