Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Everyone,

I am new to this site. The past three days my car has smelled like gas. It is faint but enough to be noticeable. It is not coming through the vents. I am not sure what is going on. I am switching out my spark plugs and doing a fuel system cleaner tomorrow. What could be going on? I need some help and am hoping this is not a big expensive problem. Thanks for those who answer.

·
BLOODY ADMENSTRUATOR
12,606 Posts
Welcome to 3CF!

A couple of questions: How many miles on your car? How long have you owned it?

The first thing I would do, before plugs and a fuel cleaner, is to get your car up on a hoist and do a full inspection of the fuel delivery system, starting from the gas tank, all the way up to the engine. You want to look for a leak anywhere along the system.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It has 103k miles owned it since 38k have not done a tune up yet only oil changes. How complicated is checking the fuel lines. Should I need to replace the fuel filter or injectors?

·
Registered
198 Posts
mine is the same thing
it smells like gas
its not coming from the gas cap nor the exhaust

the smell is coming from the top of the rear right tire

also i have a gas cap thing on my odometer
i changed the gas cap tonight but i still got the "gas cap" phrase on

·
BLOODY ADMENSTRUATOR
12,606 Posts
It has 103k miles owned it since 38k have not done a tune up yet only oil changes. How complicated is checking the fuel lines. Should I need to replace the fuel filter or injectors?
The 5.7 calls for plug changes every 30,000 miles. Use the spec plugs. A fuel filter change is also a good idea - and may be the source of your fuel leak.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Had a gas smell inside when I filled the tank -Fixed

My 300c smelled like gas when I filled the tank. I found the seal on the fuel tank had started leaking .I have 123,000 miles on it. The seal is under the back seat. The seat is just snapped on . Pull it up and you will find a black lid. Take the lid off and there is the pump. Gas was on the top. I bought a seal for $25 and that took care of it. I used the hammer and screwdriver method to spin the lock ring off. Notice were the grove is before taking it off.It took some hard swings.You can buy a tool if you like. You don't have to pull the pump all the way out. Lift it up 3 inches and pull the old ring over top. The plugs on to will have to be removed but you don't need to unplug all the hoses inside. Slide the new one over the top. When you get it lined up the pump should go back down into the same place it came out of. Don't spin it. The lock ring will be tight you have a rounded gasket going in where the flat one was. I needed help here. Someone must push on the top of the pump so the lock ring will go on. While pushing down tap the ring to tighten. Don't stop until the ring lines up no white should be showing on slots of ring. The ring has a grove where it should stop. Keep some rags handy a little gas may come out. Don't drain it or turn it on to get the gas out of the lines this is a waist of time. You are not removing the pump if you do don't unplug any hoses underneath and you should be fine. I had little gas spillage a rag was good enough. You can put a baggy or something on the loose hose while you work.

Attachments

·
Registered
434 Posts
My 300c smelled like gas when I filled the tank. I found the seal on the fuel tank had started leaking .I have 123,000 miles on it. The seal is under the back seat. The seat is just snapped on . Pull it up and you will find a black lid. Take the lid off and there is the pump. Gas was on the top. I bought a seal for $25 and that took care of it. I used the hammer and screwdriver method to spin the lock ring off. Notice were the grove is before taking it off.It took some hard swings.You can buy a tool if you like. You don't have to pull the pump all the way out. Lift it up 3 inches and pull the old ring over top. The plugs on to will have to be removed but you don't need to unplug all the hoses inside. Slide the new one over the top. When you get it lined up the pump should go back down into the same place it came out of. Don't spin it. The lock ring will be tight you have a rounded gasket going in where the flat one was. I needed help here. Someone must push on the top of the pump so the lock ring will go on. While pushing down tap the ring to tighten. Don't stop until the ring lines up no white should be showing on slots of ring. The ring has a grove where it should stop. Keep some rags handy a little gas may come out. Don't drain it or turn it on to get the gas out of the lines this is a waist of time. You are not removing the pump if you do don't unplug any hoses underneath and you should be fine. I had little gas spillage a rag was good enough. You can put a baggy or something on the loose hose while you work.
Mercedes worked for a while on the design of the 300 from what I understand. The Mercedes same basic design is having what I would call major fuel leak issues on this part you have identified. The current thoughts are the ethanol is having a negative effect on the sealing ring. The NTSB now has about 50 complaints for fuel leaking into passenger compartment and If I read correctly one European car has burned for this issue. It doesn't seem to be a problem in the 300 from the pinched ring shown but definitely be on the watch for fuel vapors INSIDE the car.

·
Registered
6 Posts
This may be an older post though it also may have just saved me a bundle.

My 2013 SRT Core has bad fuel smell outside and inside the car. I have had it checked by the dealer and they found some residue on the topside of the tank. They have quoted me 8 hours labour to remove the tank & expect it is the seal to be replaced.
On the post above I see there is access through the rear seat and the pics on this posting are really helpful.

I will drop back notes on how I go with trying to resolve this issue. It is a real bugger of a problem and taking weeks to get this identified and resolved.

·
Premium Member
4,721 Posts
I would be pushing for warranty on an issue like that for a 13 model. And I'd be taking it to the ACCC/Fair Trading when they refuse. (which they of course will).

·
Registered
6 Posts
Thanks for the tip Piggy, I had been considering the implication of any warranty. I have their extended piece of crap warranty as well. Found that it will only cover a fuel pump in the case that it is to be replaced as part of it as well. I have an update to post shorlty as well.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Thanks to you guys on the site and a previous post about the access under the rear seat. Today I pulled the rear out and got access to the seal. Low and behold some fuel is sitting there and clearly visible so I think I now have the source.
Next to work on how to fix it.
Photos attached of the location and where the fuel is sitting.

Attachments

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey all, i got a 2012 Chrysler 300 srt8 and just recently starting getting a screeching sound form the belt area.
I checked the belt and there is no cracks or tears. And the weird thing is, it only makes that noise when my a/c is on??
I was going to take in but they quoted me a stupid price just to replace one pulley if that was the source of the noise.
Im sure its most likely a pulley but was wondering if anyone on here knows what it would be exactly? Any tips on fixing this would be appreciated!

·
Registered
689 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Just a hint, your post would probably get more views and comments if you started a new thread, as this one is about "car smells like gasoline", nothing to do with screeching. That being said, you can remove the accessory drive belt and fire it up. If the noise goes away, it's one of the driven pulleys (alternator, idler, tensioner, water pump, power steering, air conditioner, or the belt itself) and you should be able to find it by first examining the belt and then turning each pulley by hand. If the noise remains, it's probably something in the engine that would require further troubleshooting.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts