Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Premium Member
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good afternoon! I thought it was about time to produce the definitive, everything-you-ever-wanted-to-know thread about the Chrysler 300 Glassback roof system. Introduced in 2006, the roof system has received great reviews, and was even the recipient of a Chrysler Design Award at the Sema show.

If you thought this mod was out of your reach before, think again... special pricing (via authorized dealers/installers) will be announced very soon. Installed, the Glassback will probably cost you less than the 22" wheels you have on your car!!

Here are some frequently asked questions & answers about the CDC Glassback:

What makes the Glassback™ different than any other sunroof?

First, the size! The glass panel measures over 38” wide by over 68” long. At nearly six feet long, it is substantially bigger than any sunroof! Second, the technology built into the GlassBack™ puts it ahead of anything else on the market. The panel is constructed with two layers of glass bonded with solar-reflective and solar-tinted laminate, minimizing heat and eliminating the need for a sunshade. The laminating process used is similar to that used in the construction of windshields, thus providing safety as well as style. Lastly, the stainless steel roof cap provides the ultimate finishing touch to the installation, setting your car far beyond any average Chrysler 300. Want something a little more subtle? The stainless cap can be painted to match your car.

Won’t my interior drastically fade or heat-up without a sunshade?

No. The solar-reflective technology found in the Vanceva® laminate protects the interior from 95% of the sun’s harmful UV rays. It has an Ultraviolet Protection Factor (UPF) of 50+, which is the highest rating available. It also has an SPF factor 10 times greater than standard tempered glass found in most sunroofs.

What about roof strength and durability? Has the glass been tested?

Yes. The Glassback™ meets or exceeds FMVSS 216 standards, a Federal standard test for rollover safety. That means we actually crushed the roof on a Glassback™-equipped Chrylser 300, and it met or exceeded all required safety standards.

I want to install the roof myself. Can I buy a kit and install it?

No. The Glassback™ is only available from the CDC network of Glassback™ Authorized installers. Special training is required to ensure proper safety and installation.

Will the Glassback™ void my warranty?

No. It is against Federal law for a car dealer to refuse a warranty claim because an aftermarket product has been installed, unless they can prove that part caused the malfunction or damage for which the warranty coverage is sought. Additional information is available from SEMA (Specialty Equipment Manufacturers Association) Specialty Equipment Market Association - SEMA.org.

What is the warranty on the Glassback™?

All parts have a 3-year/36,000 mile warranty against manufacturer’s defects. This does not cover damage caused by normal wear-and-tear, neglect, or mistreatment.

·
Premium Member
4,470 Posts
I don't know whether to say this sounds "cool" or "hot"! Probably both!

·
Registered
145 Posts
So can you close it, like the factory one?

·
Premium Member
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks SRT888- you are correct.

Thanks GoofyTim! The "cool" thing about it is that the glass is actually cool to the touch from the inside... it won't add any heat to the inside of the car at all, thanks to the high-tech laminate between the glass layers.

·
Registered
145 Posts
thats to bad

·
Registered
87 Posts
hmm, is the stainless around it optional??

·
Premium Member
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hi Guys!

Thanks for the interest! We are working on coordinating some nation-wide deals for these, working with our installer base and the inventory they have in stock. Unfortunately, I don't think it will be possible to produce 'one' installed priced that would cover the whole country. So, if anyone is interested in getting an installed quote, please PM me your location, and I will produce a quote and the nearest dealer/installer contact information for you.

·
Premium Member
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Regarding some of the points raised: If you have not sat in a car with this roof, you owe it to yourself! The way it opens the car up inside is amazing, and you will not miss your "openable" sunroof one bit, I promise. You tall people out there will LOVE the extra head room, too!

The stainless roof cap is an integral part of the installation, so it cannot be optional. However, we have done many installs here where we have actually painted the roof cap to match the car. Super easy, and the Glassback looks completely OEM once installed w/ a painted stainless cap.

·
Registered
143 Posts
How dark is the glass from the outside, compared to say, a particular percentage of window tint? Could you add window tint to the underside for privacy and additional sun protection?

·
Premium Member
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
INeedMorePower- Received your PM, working on it, and will get back to you asap.

From the inside looking out, I would compare it to something like a 30% window tint. From the outside looking in, I really can't compare it, since the laminate is so reflective. It's almost mirror-like. You can see through it, but you have to have your face literally planted on the glass with your hands cupped around your eyes. You could absolutely tint it if you wanted, but there really is no need, to be honest. It would be easier for someone to see through one of your side windows, and the solar-reflective technology in the laminate doesn't allow heat to enter the car anyways! This picture best shows you what the glass looks like in real life-

I hope this helps!

·
Registered
601 Posts
Out of curiosity, is the laminate rated for Australian summers? Standing in broad daylight is akin to sticking your head in a microwave over here.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Do you guys have smart glass? I love the glass roof and want it bad. I'm in Chicago so I could head up to you guys. But I want the option of blocking out light. Have you guys considered this? Here is a link of a manufacturer.
Main Page

·
Registered
143 Posts
Smart glass (also called electrochromic) would be amazingly cool (though probably also amazingly expensive). Imagine turning your sun roof opaque with the push of a button...

·
Registered
81 Posts
There's a company just outside Chicago that manufactures it. I've seen it done before and their shower doors are only $400. Maybe CDC can price it out? I know I'd be down for it.

·
Registered
2,188 Posts
Your car that you model the pics on looks incredible! Totally sexy.

·
Premium Member
5,177 Posts
INeedMorePower- Received your PM, working on it, and will get back to you asap.

From the inside looking out, I would compare it to something like a 30% window tint. From the outside looking in, I really can't compare it, since the laminate is so reflective. It's almost mirror-like. You can see through it, but you have to have your face literally planted on the glass with your hands cupped around your eyes. You could absolutely tint it if you wanted, but there really is no need, to be honest. It would be easier for someone to see through one of your side windows, and the solar-reflective technology in the laminate doesn't allow heat to enter the car anyways! This picture best shows you what the glass looks like in real life-

I hope this helps!
You will find much better photos at the link below that show great detail from outside to inside and vice versa than the one you posted. The 300 belongs to member Tim Skelton. TommyZ also has it on one of his 300s.

I have always said I wanted one, especially living here in Cali., but, the co$t for me is out of the question at this time. Maybe someday.......

Thanks for producing a fine product!
bruno

http://www.300cforums.com/forums/general-discussion/44739-glassback-panoramic-sunroof-pics.html

1 - 20 of 36 Posts