Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Thanks for the link Bruno! :)

Smartglass would be [email protected] :sour:, no doubt!! We did look at that when we first developed the roof... but man is it expensive, especially for a relatively-low volume part like our Glassbacks. They can pump out a million shower doors to help spread costs out. Also, I don't think the laminate/material/whatever-it-is bends too well, or enough, for this application since our glass panels match the contours of the roof.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
NEW PRICING...

It's really, really hard to generate ONE price nation-wide for the Glassback since we rely on our certified installers/retailers for this product. This is the one product that we make that we don't sell direct to the consumer for home installation.

So with that in mind, installation usually runs between $2500-$3200 installed, depending on region. We've been working our dealer network hard, and can now get your 300 Glassback roof installed for around $2,200!!

As I suggested, it may be a few hundred more or less depending on where you live. Also, painting the stainless cap is possible if you want to be more subtle.

Please PM me if you would like assistance finding your local dealer! Thank you all!

·
Registered
135 Posts
How is the inside of the headliner altered for the installation of the glassback roof?

If you already have a suede headliner it wouldnt be a problem doing this and keeping the suede, right?

On average,how long does it take to install?

Sorry for all the questions but i might be interested soon...:lick:

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
I don't mind the questions - bring 'em on!! :)

Installation only requires a few hours, but the car must sit overnight for the urethane to set properly. We don't use the quick-set stuff for windshields.

You can absolutely retain your suede headliner! The system reuses the stock headliner which is cut for the glass roof. Then, there are a few options that follow, depending on your installer. We provide a trim ring in the kit that is made of a fiberous oem headliner 'backer-board' material (not cardboard), that is molded specifically for our kit. The installer can choose to wrap this trim ring in matching headliner material (suede in your case), and apply it to the outside of the headliner. OR, some installers like to hide it behind the stock headliner, and re-wrap the entire headliner using a stretch-fit between the headliner and glass panel. Please discuss these options with your installer! I personally prefer the trim ring exposed; I think it gives a more finished look.

Here are some examples of the two different methods:

Stretch fit: Made by re-wrapping entire headliner. I believe this installer put the trim ring behind the headliner, as you can see a contoured shape in the headliner just above the grab handle.

Exposed Trim Ring: This example left the trim ring exposed, which was wrapped in oem headliner material available at any trim shop:

Attachments

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Hi
Ok now I have sorted out all the bugs from my pevious posts I have a new mod, I have bought the Glassback panorama roof and was wondering if anyone out has experiecne with installtion and any problems that may have incurred after installation. I liked it so much and found a great dealer (Auto Customs of Cincinnati) who is shipping it to me here in Norway, Here is a link that shows a installation, hope it does not get deleted,but its from one of CDC installers
http://***.moparmusclemagazine.com/techarticles/body/mopp_0811_chrysler_300_glassback
_roof_install/classic_design_concept.html

For those not to savy with computers put www where the stars are after you paste the link
Sorry about the way the link is made but it will not fit the mail box so it does not show unless I do it this way

Thanks
Pierre

·
Registered
207 Posts
Call classic design concept and they can refer you to a installer nearest to you ,I have one and have NO issues at all...

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
None here in Norway

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #29 (Edited)
Pierre- I had no idea the roof was being shipped to you (in Norway!)... I sincerely pray that it makes the trip ok! I may be able to help you; I have a friend in Norway that may know of some shops capable of the installation. Give me a day or so and I will be in touch via PM...

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
We don't have any certified (trained by CDC) installers anywhere across the pond, unfortunately. However, as I mentioned to Pierre in Norway, he will need to find an installer that is familiar with installing sunroofs. I am confident that the installation process is simple enough that someone with a sunroof background can handle the installation without much difficulty. I hope this helps!

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
installers (holland)

Hi
I do some of my work with a shop in Holland,far less then the prices in Norway and over half the time, however I asked if he could install my roof kit,he saw the installation guide from the magazine article, the actual instructions from the kit show it if you have a sun roof and thank good I do not because if you saw the amount of work needed you would fall over, the magazine article I posted shows a better view of installation with non sunroof, having said this he checked with the local an not so local sunroof installers and they will not install this kit because of past experience with leakage, now I could understand one installer but all the installers in the area, I hope I did not put my foot in some _________ and end up with a leaking kit:pat:

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Hello! That's interesting that they have had experience with leakage, but have never installed one of our kits before! :) The process for installing one of these on a sunroof car versus a non-sunroof car is actually not that much different at all. We have done installs on both many many times. IF the installers follow our procedures exactly, and IF they use the OEM-grade materials we outline in the instructions (Sika brand urethanes, promoters, primers), there will not be a leak issue.

As I outlined in the beginning, this product has been tested extensively using OEM procedures for heat, strength, and noise, even going so far as to actually crushing a 300. If there is a leak issue, it will be caused by an improperly-installed kit.

I hope this helps! Please let me know if I can help with anything.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Hi
There is a tremendous difference 1. Sunroof-- you have to pull out the entire roof lining, pillars, plus, plus, plus. Looking at the instructions scares the heck out of me an other installers here in Norway would not do it.
2. When I showed them the installation from the magazine article most were better receptive, I ordered your OEM products to make sure they install exactly to specifications, in fact I will be there during installation to check each procedure is followed to plan (sort of like the engineer on site), but I did find a couple shops willing to do it here in Norway, but none would cover damage if they for example they cut the hole wrong, so I will be stuck with a open top if things go wrong an my insurance will not cover the work either so it would be a major body shop repair if things go wrong, to bad there are no certified installers in Europe:)

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Hi
I have written CDC about some questions about installation but as now have had no response, maybe holidays, but the work is on hold till then, maybe I can do a pic with installation for the DIY's:)

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Hey there-

We did get the email, and are just returning after a long holiday weekend. I will get some answers for you today!

21 - 36 of 36 Posts