Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My CEL has been coming on and off for about 2 weeks now...completley randomly. I've got 55k on my '05 300C, I'm covered under warranty, right?

·
Premium Member
4,708 Posts
My CEL has been coming on and off for about 2 weeks now...completley randomly. I've got 55k on my '05 300C, I'm covered under warranty, right?
Your bumper-to bumper warranty expired at 36K miles or 36 months, whichever came first.

Your drivetrain warranty is good to 70K. A CEL most likely has nothing to do with your drivetrain.

Your catalytic converter warranty is good to something like 80K.

To view the actual trouble code(s), sit in the driver's seat with a notepad and pencil, insert the key, look at the EVIC in the middle of the instrument cluster, then turn the key to the RUN position, then OFF, then RUN, then OFF, then RUN and leave it there as you watch the 55,XXX miles disappear and be replaced with the code(s). When the word "done" appears in th EVIC turn the key off. Write the codes down and come back here and post then for the members to tell you what they mean.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was under the impression that it was a 70k Powertrain warranty when I bought the car...

It's throwing P2181...translation por favor?

·
Administrator
23,441 Posts
I was under the impression that it was a 70k Powertrain warranty when I bought the car...

It's throwing P2181...translation por favor?
That code indicates you have a problem with your Cooling System Performance. Probably a good idea to get that checked out!

Bernie

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That code indicates you have a problem with your Cooling System Performance. Probably a good idea to get that checked out!

That's what I thought after a little bit of google-fu. It has been overheating after a long idle, like I'll start the car, come back inside and let it warm up, and before I know it the fan is on-at 275* :scared: . I need an oil change anyway, time for a dealer trip!

·
Administrator
23,441 Posts
Yeah, other than checking for the obvious like coolant level, proper operation of the belt tensioners, checking the radiator cap gasket, hoses, debris in front of the radiator and all the routine stuff, there's not all that much you can do. It could be that your thermostat needs replacing too.

If you're not comfortable changing your own thermostat the best thing to do is get it checked out at your dealer. They can pressure test the system. The fans come on at 215 degrees BTW.

Good luck and make sure to post here what the problem was. It helps others who may have the same problem.

Bernie

·
Administrator
23,441 Posts
I just wanted to add that there's been several instances of the rubber seal in these thermostats tearing. It's just something to look for. Either way I'd replace anyway it with that many miles on your car.

Bernie

1 - 7 of 7 Posts