Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
774 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sure, go right ahead and tease us some more Dodge......thought you'd all like to read this.

Dodge rolls out Challenger dragster

By Canadian Auto Press
Drag Race Package car built for the strip
When it comes to drag racing for Chrysler products, there's only one name that means business: Mopar.

At this year's Mopar Mile-High Nationals, the performance team unveiled its latest creation, the Challenger Drag Race Package, a vehicle whose sole purpose is to dominate the drag strip.

The Drag Race Package is an extensive overhaul which preps the car for the quarter mile. Each Drag Race Package Car starts out with the Challenger SRT8's body, but from there, the selected vehicles receive special treatment.

It's got the power, but thanks to a strict diet, it's also fast. (Photo: Dodge)Besides the standard safety gear and racing seats, the main focus on the Drag Race Package Car is weight reduction. Mopar trimmed more than 450 kilograms of weight by eliminating the interior, the windshield wiper assembly, the airbags, heat shields, power steering, side door beams and bumper beams, as well as all sound and noise insulation.

Each car also rides on a wheelbase that's more than 12 mm shorter than before, and features a composite hood with clip pins and polycarbonate plastic windows. Needless to say, it's not road legal.

Buyers will be offered a choice of three engines, each race prepped. There's the 5.7-litre HEMI from the R/T, the 6.1 L HEMI V8 from the SRT8, or the Mopar special, the 5.9 Magnum Wedge.
Buyers can also choose between manual and automatic. This will allow the Challenger Drag Race Package Car to compete in a large number of sanctioned drag race events.

A minimum of 100 units of the vehicle will be built to comply with homologation regulations.

Depending on what engine, transmission and features the vehicle is equipped with, the Challenger Drag Race Package Car will cost between the low and mid $30,000 range, each with its own identification plate.

Attachments

·
Administrator
23,441 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,091 Posts
I was talking to one of our long term members last week that if I bought a challenger, I would tub it, insert roll cage, roots blower and then street legal drag. Might still do it in a year or so..

That package from Mopar looks sharp.. so I might be on track..

1 - 4 of 4 Posts