Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
990 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys!! :)

I've been looking at a LOT of YouTube videos and reading all sorts of 'reviews' and 'first drives' and now 'road tests' of the new Challenger SRT8 and I was wondering...

Can I assume that ALL the praise being directed at the Challenger would apply equally to my 2006 300C SRT8? Or are they different enough - somehow - to be obviously different? [As far as handling and performance are concerned]

That said...

I would only seriously consider trading in my 300C SRT8 on a 6-speed Challenger. Otherwise - I don't see the point.

Thanks,
Craig!! :)

·
Premium Member
7,787 Posts
not

The Challenger really disappointed me personally. Almost no weight difference and the exact same drivetrain as my car.

Just a really cool look.

·
Registered
630 Posts
It seems to me from the reviews that SRT really worked on the suspension. The tweaks they have done seem to have resulted in a the best ride/handling compromise. The reviews also point out the nice quality of the interior. I like that its a larger car with a nice usable rear seat. That would make owning a 2-door at least somewhat feasable with a family of 4.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Well.. is money an issue? A trade will cost you big, especially with the premium that will be charged for the Challenger. Got kids to put through college, and is saving on track? 401K where it needs to be? If all answers yes, go for it, and take the 20+ thousand loss. If answers are no, resist the urge, it's too big a bath to take.

·
Registered
395 Posts
I have thought a lot about the challenger, I have a 2006 SRT8 300, next year when my lease runs out I will buy the 300 out and then lease or buy a challenger for the summer months and turn my 300 into my winter driver! Works for me.

·
Registered
300 Posts
challenger

Well having talked to the fellows working at the chrysler plant (brampton) , the challenger's chasis rails had to be reinforced extensively because the body would twist badly under load , not to mention crash test safety . This contributes to the heavy weight apparently. This car is huge in terms of it's width , and if the 6,4 litre engine comes into play than this car might weight in a hefty 4500 pounds .I wish chrysler coud have spent the money on developing a aluminum block and heads for all their hemi engines , this would have chopped a couple hundred pounds off right off the bat . This is why I will wait to see what the camaro has to offer .
B D HEMI

·
Registered
435 Posts
I have to agree, I don't see much difference, other than the two doors and body styling... I have a friend who sells C/J/D products and he did point out the challenger will sell for 20k+ above sticker at intro... and it does not come in a manual tranny (this would be so much hotter and worth it if it did) so for almost the same package wrapped up a little differently I'll second B d Hemi's idea and say wait for the camaro...

·
Premium Member
4,541 Posts
and if the 6,4 litre engine comes into play than this car might weight in a hefty 4500 pounds .I wish chrysler coud have spent the money on developing a aluminum block and heads for all their hemi engines , this would have chopped a couple hundred pounds off right off the bat . This is why I will wait to see what the camaro has to offer .
B D HEMI
I've never seen a Challenger yet (just pictures) much less driven one; but all along we've known it is basically the LX platform shortened only 4 inches. Doesn't surprise me that it is just as heavy and wide as my 300C. But I don't think it will weigh 4500 lbs, my "C" is only =/-4200 lbs. Why would the (possibly) upcoming 6.4 liter hemi weigh any more than the current 5.7 and 6.1 engines do?; it is not physically larger, just more displacement.

Oh and all the current hemi's do have aluminum heads by the way. And I'll pass on the Camaro no matter how sweet it looks; it's still a GM product and I took the cure on those piles of $hizzle 2 cars ago.......

·
Registered
300 Posts

I believe the 6.1 litre SRT-8 engine is heavier than the 5.7 due to heavier skirted iron block . The 6.4 will be more powerful (500 HP) thus likely having a heavier skirted iron block again for strength . I didn't know the heads on our hemi's were aluminun , thanks for the info .I still say that the corvette engines which will be in the new camero (403 hp) will help keep the pounds of the car down (due to the vette's aluminun engine block) which yields faster 1/4 mile times and better cornering . You can't dispute the fact that chrysler has to develope lighter engines rather than just throw more horse power into their cars , it doesn't make sense IMO .
B D HEMI

1 - 10 of 10 Posts