1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
771 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
:arms: "If you want a high-strung, nine-testicled pet, get a GT500; if you want a chilled-out muscle car you can drive everyday, put your name on the Challenger waiting list."

·
Registered
90 Posts
The Shelby is nice, but I'm really partial to the Challenger. Saw one at the local auto show in March - they're probably still moppin up the drool! :laugh2:

·
Registered
395 Posts
SRT8 vs Ford GT (Hennessy package)

Well it had to happen! I have a 2006 300 SRT8 all stock, 91,000 miles. I was on the local speed way, in BC we call it the 'Coke' hammertime used to race there, the nicest bit of public highway in BC, 4 lane, sweeping corners, places to to 200 mph or more, but at 5600 feet. about 45 miles of it, some of it 8% grade. Anway I was crusing along yesterday at about 90 mph when I saw this thing, first thought was a corvette come up fast, I pushed up to 110 and this thing came up really fast, guess what a Ford GT with a Hennessy 700 package, so over the next 45 miles we played at speeds over 125 up to 168 for me and 185 for him, obviously I could not catch him, however, I did stay back and when ever he slowed down I caught him, he finally stopped and asked what the hell I had, just stock 300 SRT8, he said that he had never had anything stay with him like the 8, he had the 710 hp 16 pounds boost super charged GT against my stock na hemi. it was a proud day for the SRT8, the impression I got was the he was rattled by the SRT8 ability to stay with him, lets face it the road was good for 125-150 plus crusing , but not 175-200 crusing, lots of fun at high speed, gawd does that GT go, kinda weird to have something pull away at 150! The SRT8 was fast, the GT was a blur.

·
Premium Member
7,787 Posts
GT vs. GT500

The Ford GT is in a league very different from a GT500 Mustang! What fun to even play in the same arena. Way to represent.

I chased a Katana down a similar winding road once. He could easily pull away on the straights but I always caught up in the twisties. It really rattled him! He could not put enough distance on me to satisfy his opinion of his ride.

In my humble opinion Ford took away everything the Mustang has going for it in creating the GT500. It's too expensive, way too heavy, way too complex, and just not that much faster. Bone stock they are way too close to a dead heat with a well tuned SRT8, we all know with mild mods they can run away in a straight line.

But when the road curves, watch the mirror!

·
Premium Member
1,833 Posts
Great article. Just goes to show that it is not JUST about putting HP to the wheels. I also love his final quote. :lmao:

·
Registered
3,714 Posts
:arms: "If you want a high-strung, nine-testicled pet, get a GT500; if you want a chilled-out muscle car you can drive everyday, put your name on the Challenger waiting list."

Well Rick, How about I put nine testies on a black 09 6 speed?

·
Registered
3,714 Posts

Well Rick, How about I put nine testies on a black 09 6 speed?:nana:

·
Registered
96 Posts
I was at the local track and a friend of mine was there his 07 GT500 and there was also a Challenger there. {first I will say I'm not a Ford fan at all!} The track is at 2300 ft. The Challenger was stock the Mustang had a CAI a couple of other small things but nothing worth any power. They never went head to head but the Challenger ran a best of 12.99 @ 105.02 and The GT500 ran a best of 12.28 @ 114.12. If you've ever been at the track you know that is a big difference. The CAI probably helped the GT abit but they aren't worth much when your at the track. I was very impressed with both cars but the Stang was way faster than I expected.

·
Premium Member
7,787 Posts
blown

I was at the local track and a friend of mine was there his 07 GT500 and there was also a Challenger there. {first I will say I'm not a Ford fan at all!} The track is at 2300 ft. The Challenger was stock the Mustang had a CAI a couple of other small things but nothing worth any power. They never went head to head but the Challenger ran a best of 12.99 @ 105.02 and The GT500 ran a best of 12.28 @ 114.12. If you've ever been at the track you know that is a big difference. The CAI probably helped the GT abit but they aren't worth much when your at the track. I was very impressed with both cars but the Stang was way faster than I expected.
That's the principal advantage of the GT500... Supercharging.

Blown vehicles are not as affected when they are compressing their own air! As the D/A worsens the advantage should be even more to the supercharged vehicle.

And at sea level in good air a well tuned SRT8 can practically run neck and neck with them, stock for stock.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I understand that forced induction is not effected by altitude as much as naturally aspirated, but it just seemed like alot to me. I was dissapointed because I'm not a Ford fan.:yuck: I really wish that my wifes AWD would handle the 540hp that TBURNES twin turbo puts out because I really want to spank that Mustang, :12: :12:

·
Premium Member
2,534 Posts
That's the principal advantage of the GT500... Supercharging.

Blown vehicles are not as affected when they are compressing their own air! As the D/A worsens the advantage should be even more to the supercharged vehicle.

And at sea level in good air a well tuned SRT8 can practically run neck and neck with them, stock for stock.
Excellent post. :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts