Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Check this months MOTER TREND . Introduction story about the Challenger . Will probably have a follow up story next year against the new Camaro. Second story Charger R/T vs Pontac G8 . Charger doesnt fair so well. Maybe they should have tested the SRT8

·
Registered
79 Posts
I saw another article on edmund's comparing the charger and the G8. The G8 does target the 5.7 models in price, not the SRT8. That being said, Chrysler just needs to step up their game on the Charger and 300C. Others are gunning for their sales. More power across the board please.:biggrin:

·
Premium Member
7,787 Posts
new C&D

Check out the new Car and Driver. They have a full road test of the new G8 sedan.

Runs well, but had some issues. And yes, it can outrun a 5.7. But it's not an SRT8 killer. Just a hi-po sedan.

·
Premium Member
4,068 Posts
The Pontiac is two full years newer than the Charger, what do you all expect? Evolution is a b!tch in today's automotive world. And I did read the C&D article on the crapper yesterday, it did not get straight A's but looks solid. I bet GM wishes they could charge more for the G8, they must barely be making money on them...however it's good for everyone that there is some serious competition.

Eric

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
Priced to compete, and with slightly more advanced techie "stuff" here and there (like a less intrusive stability nanny) will make it worthwhile for some folks to go G8. The review said the G8 is better through the turns, faster in a straight line, more headroom and legroom in the back. The writers/reviewers also seem pleased with the styling.

·
Registered
45 Posts
it took gm 4 years to come up with some serious competition for the lx sedans like someone wrote earlier. and even though its a hair quicker, a little cheaper and in my opinion nicer looking inside and out with a nicer engine and a six speed transmission, lets see if it becomes as popular as the lx sedans, has as nice a resale value as the lx sedans, and becomes as reliable as the lx sedans. plus if the g8 does become popular you know they will raise the price.

·
Premium Member
1,739 Posts
Pontiac is trying to redeem themselves with the astrocity << (is that spelled right?) of the GTO... to think i almost bought one......
Astrocity! LOL. Is that some future city on the moon. I doubt if they will have GTO's then. I assume you meant atrocity. Funny how we bang away on the keyboard and make spelling mistakes but sometimes come up with something funny.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Take a ride down the strip in my G8.

YouTube - Pontiac G8 Drag Strip Run

Now if we can get it done before the snow flies, we have a head to head run in the works with an Arrington Powered and Pedderised 300C at Virginia International Raceway and the Pedderised and ProCharged G8. My guess is while one car will be faster than the other, none of the drivers will feel like losers that day. :biggrin:

·
Registered
774 Posts
Unfortunately (or fortunately, as you will) the G8 is illegal to sell here in Canada. It failed our stricter bumper laws.

Come to think of it, there are quite a few cars that cannot be sold here due to them failing our bumper laws.

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
wierd, I believe i have already seen it for sale here in the toronto area. I actually like the g8 over the charger (not the srt8 which is sex). The interior feels nicer then the chargers and the charger has a engine but the car is only really good going straight and on the highways. When it comes to the highways and twisty roads the g8 is great. I cant wait to see the g8 gxp when it comes out.

·
Registered
270 Posts
I took a short cut home through Canada from New York in the middle of July. I was followed into a parking lot by a car with five guys in it. I knew they were following me because I drove through the parking lot browsing for a dinner spot. Each time I moved to another lot / restaurant they followed me. In such a public place I had to be reasonably safe....

As soon as I parked, they parked next to me. It was raining and they stayed in the car as I waited for the rain to lighten up. As soon as I got out of the car they jumped out too. No they didn't mug me or hijack the car. They were sales people from a Pontiac Dealer in Canada. Mine was the first G8 they had seen in person. They had followed me at what they thought were high rates of speed on the highway. They kept talking about something called a kilometer? 80 MPH and kilometers are the same, right? :biggrin:

They just wanted to see what they had been reading about -- a direct competitor to the 300C -- that was soon be in their show room. They didn't believe me for more than a split second that all the USA G8s had supercharges and made 480 RWHP.

It was a great moment in Canadian / Australian / USA foreign relations. :biggrin:

·
Premium Member
4,455 Posts
The V8 G8s are fast, and nice cars, the V6 G8s aren't so fast..

I wouldn't trade my 300 for one, lol. Too easily confused for an Altima, but it's also the only BMW/Altima lookalike I'd consider.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Don't be confused by the G8 video. I grew up a MOPAR guy with a HEMI Charger and a laundry list of Chryslers over the years. The linebacker tough stance has made the 300C an automotive design icon, but I do like to swing both ways with the HEMI and the L76. It is one of the reasons I really want to make that VIR 300C vs G8 head to head happen. I can't lose that day.

·
Registered
990 Posts
Pontiac G8 to be sold in Canada for 2009
Hi bigjoker!! :)

If that's true - then I'll have to assume that the G8 passes Canada's CURRENT and considerably tougher bumper standards given the fact that the revised bumper requirements in Canada [Which will lower the standard to match what the U.S. and Europe now require] won't come into effect until September 1st, 2009.

The change is a mistake - as far as I'm concerned. I mean - who in their right mind changes laws to make things LESS safe.

Craig!! :)

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
Like I said they are already on sale in canada. There are 50 g8's for sale within 25 km of my house. Check www. gm. ca yourself :)

·
Premium Member
7,787 Posts
butt

The problem is the G8 is ugly! Especially from the rear.

The overall appearance is that of a much smaller car.

Not my taste.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts