Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,292 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I want to get a 300c gauge cluster, and put it in my base but I wanted to know how much you guys would charge to change the mileage to the actual mileage on my car. My car is only 2 months old so I dont want to get a cluster with 20k on it and not be able to change it to 3300. Well by the time I actually find one I will probably have more miles than that but if you could just tell me the price so I know ahead of time.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Here is a post from a very knowledgeable member over at lxforums:

"
vehicle mileage is stored by CCN (cabin compartment node/instrument cluster) and can only be overwritten by DCX approved service and repair depot. the PCM stores mileage as reference for emission controls and can be overwritten by starscan.
don't even think about installing a used CCN/cluster. vehicle configuration conflicts will affect most if not all vehicle accessories."

·
Registered
2,292 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
magnumfreak said:
don't even think about installing a used CCN/cluster. vehicle configuration conflicts will affect most if not all vehicle accessories."
how would it affect it if you use the starscan and set the used cluster to the correct milage of the car? I mean what if your cluster breaks and doesnt work then you take it into the shop and get a new one put in arent they just going to set the milage and then you will be on your way?

·
Registered
2,292 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
lukeinva said:
how would it affect it if you use the starscan and set the used cluster to the correct milage of the car? I mean what if your cluster breaks and doesnt work then you take it into the shop and get a new one put in arent they just going to set the milage and then you will be on your way?
or is the guy saying you can only put in brand new ones??

·
Registered
145 Posts
lukeinva said:
or is the guy saying you can only put in brand new ones??
the guy is saying that CCN (cluster) is factory programmed with vehicle build configuration. this information is required because the CCN controls many body electrical functions. these functions will not work if the CCN is not configured properly or if it was configured for a different vehicle.
CCN mileage (vehicle's true mileage) cannot be altered using starscan. only a DCX approved service and repair depot can do this. in canada, we use either Flyght Systems or Crescent Electronics.

when CCN requires replacement, we call ahead to repair depot and they ship an exchange unit, configured and with correct mileage, overnight.

·
Registered
4,944 Posts
There is a guy called mileageman.com and he will roll the odo to any mileage you want. You have to send him the cluster, google for details. You really need to decide if a 300C cluster is "all that", IMO it is not. Although it would never show up on carfax, if I were buying your car used, you would have to do some serious splaining to do and it would not be adequate. Whatever excuse people have when there is a question about miles (and this does raise a question, how do I know you are not trying to loose 30K miles) it is usually a lame excuse in my experience. Excuses are like A-Holes, everybody has one and they all stink.

With rare exception (a '66 Cobra sitting in a barn with 5,400 miles that I pick up for $3500) I would not buy a car with any mileage questions.

·
Administrator
23,435 Posts
II kings 9:20 said:
There is a guy called mileageman.com and he will roll the odo to any mileage you want. You have to send him the cluster, google for details. You really need to decide if a 300C cluster is "all that", IMO it is not. Although it would never show up on carfax, if I were buying your car used, you would have to do some serious splaining to do and it would not be adequate. Whatever excuse people have when there is a question about miles (and this does raise a question, how do I know you are not trying to loose 30K miles) it is usually a lame excuse in my experience. Excuses are like A-Holes, everybody has one and they all stink.

With rare exception (a '66 Cobra sitting in a barn with 5,400 miles that I pick up for $3500) I would not buy a car with any mileage questions.
This thread is really starting to tie in with this one http://www.300cforums.com/forums/general-discussion/21218-can-i-change-cluster.html when it comes to adjusting odometer mileage. As a matter of fact, I've already linked this thread to that one, and now I'm linking that one to this. Confused...so am I...haha. ResumeSpeed's comments are probably the most relevant and the reasons are obvious.

Rambit

·
Registered
318 Posts
Build configuration and ODO info are actually stored in two locations, CCN and FCM. These are two of the most important modules in the car, along with the PCM. You really shouldnt screw around with any of these modules on a whim as massive headaches can arise and the only one that may be able to bail you out is a Chrysler rep with an engineering tool rewriting code one line at a time.

·
Registered
2,292 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
well I am not trying to loose 30k I dont even have 5k yet! I just want the EVIC and the C and some limited/tourings have them. Also thinking about doing a dash swap with a guy who has a magnum.

·
Registered
4,944 Posts
lukeinva said:
well I am not trying to loose 30k I dont even have 5k yet! I just want the EVIC and the C and some limited/tourings have them. Also thinking about doing a dash swap with a guy who has a magnum.
Understood, we all know that, it's just that Joe Average six years may have some questions and any car with cluster/ODO change (even if legit and so called "documented"), it makes me leery, there are too many other used car choices out there. Bear in mind, this is at resale and may not be an issue for you as a seller, it would be a deal breaker for me as a buyer (just as a smoker's car) . You only live once, go for it. As long as you are putting a Magnum dash in, any thoughts on a Magnum or C front clip?.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Adjusting the mileage is the least of your problems, the cluster is not just an instrument cluster it is a computer. The CCN is in the cluster, the PCM, CCN, and FCM all interogate each other at key on to identify the cars build configuration, ODO, and VIN. When you change one and they dont agree is where the headaches start, especially with used parts. Even with brand new correct origional parts DCX strongly advises against changing more than one of those modules at a time. Even if you had the CCN re-programmed with the correct VIN & ODO for your car the build configuration would still be a problem, the correct one for your car would not allow the cluster features you are seeking to work.

·
Registered
2,292 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
II kings 9:20 said:
Understood, we all know that, it's just that Joe Average six years may have some questions and any car with cluster/ODO change (even if legit and so called "documented"), it makes me leery, there are too many other used car choices out there. Bear in mind, this is at resale and may not be an issue for you as a seller, it would be a deal breaker for me as a buyer (just as a smoker's car) . You only live once, go for it. As long as you are putting a Magnum dash in, any thoughts on a Magnum or C front clip?.
I dont like the magnum front end just like the dash. No C front clip either I will probably just end up getting the rear clip.

·
Registered
165 Posts
The guy at mileageman.com says he can do the odometer on the 300c. Be careful since if the DMV knows the odo was "altered" they will salvage title your car no questions asked.

Not saying that doing it is right or wrong, just saying it can be done apparently.
Lee

1 - 13 of 13 Posts