Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2006 300c (5.7L) with about 37k on it. I'm getting my 30k service on Saturday (Yeah, I know I'm late) and from what I've read and even talking to the service guy, changing the spark plugs is ridiculously expensive. I got on here and looked around to see what people said and I was surprised that a lot of people did it themselves. I especially liked comments where people said "if you know the difference between a hammer and a screwdriver, you can do it yourself." Well I went to Advanced Auto Parts yesterday and was able to get all the tools I needed (including a torque wrench) and spark plugs for right around $60. I got up and did it this morning. It took me longer than expected but by the time I finished, it probably took me about 15 minutes for every 2 spark plugs. It was very easy to do. The only problem I ran into is the spark plug socket kept staying stuck in the chamber. I had to mate and unmate it with the extension until it came off. Besides that, it was a breeze.

I have to say thank you to everyone here who's made posts in the past about it because I was able to find enough information from this site alone to know how to do it myself. Someone posted a link to the LX Forum where someone had an EXTREMELY good write up. I'm also glad I got on here because the guy at Advanced Auto Parts was very nice and helpful, but I think he may have looked up the wrong vehicle or model or something. First he was telling me how it wasn't recommended for me to use copper plugs and that's not what came in the car. Then he repeatedly asked me why was I changing the plugs because it was too early to change them. Then as he was putting the plugs in the bag, he wrote .035" on the box and told me that was the offset/gap. If people wouldn't have given the info they did, I would've been ALL MESSED UP.

Y'all helped and didn't even know it. Thanks again.

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
I am at 43,000 miles and didnt change my plugs yet.The question i have is,if the car drives like its brand new still,should i change the plugs or just leave them alone.

·
Registered
195 Posts
I am at 43,000 miles and didnt change my plugs yet.The question i have is,if the car drives like its brand new still,should i change the plugs or just leave them alone.
PLATINUM PLUGS WILL LAST 50K ,BUT ORIGINAL ARE COPPER CORE. THEY SHOULD BE CHANGED AT 30K BE CAUSE GAP WIDDENS AS ELECTRODE WEARS AWAY. ALSO CHANGE AIR FILTER AS A CLOGED FILTER WILL RICHEN MIXTURE AND FOUL NEW PLUGS

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Besides just normal dirt from wear and tear, the old plugs didn't look bad. I gauged all of them when I took them out and they were all around .045". I doubt this is coincidence but the plugs on the drivers side of the engine seemed to have a slightly larger gap by maybe .005 (meaning they were .050" when gauged). Besides that, they were perfect. I'll put some highway miles on my car tomorrow and see if the gas mileage is any better. It better get better after I have it serviced on Saturday.

·
Registered
195 Posts
I Have Heard On Some Other Posts That If You Do Alot Of Higway Driving And Have A Light Foot Which Gives You Mds Operation Those 4 Plugs Look Differant.cant Remember If They Looked Better Or Worse

·
Registered
300 Posts
300c

Owners manual states to change spark plugs every 47,000 K and you can only use copper type not any other . You will burn a hole in the piston if you use platinum type of spark plug as there are two spark plugs per cylinder - too much heat + oxygen ( combustion).
B D HEMI

·
Registered
465 Posts
i recommend people get a wiggle extension kit for the plugs. they help alot with maneuvering around the engine bay. i used a one foot extension to get the stuck socket out of the spark plug wells. its great to see people do their own maintenance on the car. it saves a ton of cash in the long run. i replaced my plugs with the OEM ones for like $1.40 a piece (estimated price). the car runs best on the copper plugs.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i recommend people get a wiggle extension kit for the plugs. they help alot with maneuvering around the engine bay. i used a one foot extension to get the stuck socket out of the spark plug wells. its great to see people do their own maintenance on the car. it saves a ton of cash in the long run. i replaced my plugs with the OEM ones for like $1.40 a piece (estimated price). the car runs best on the copper plugs.
I remember seeing your post about the wiggle extension kit but didn't even bother to figure out what it is. What is it?

·
Premium Member
4,708 Posts
A piece of masking tape around the socket and extension bar will keep them together when pulling the socket out after torquing the plug.

·
Premium Member
4,708 Posts
I remember seeing your post about the wiggle extension kit but didn't even bother to figure out what it is. What is it?
The business end of the extension is somewhat ball shaped, which allows the socket to kind of swivel around on the end of the extension. They let you go into the plug hole at a bit of an angle.

Alternatively you could use a universal-type extension between the socket and a non-wiggle type extension.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The business end of the extension is somewhat ball shaped, which allows the socket to kind of swivel around on the end of the extension. They let you go into the plug hole at a bit of an angle.

Alternatively you could use a universal-type extension between the socket and a non-wiggle type extension.
Alright. Thanks. I know what you're talking about. I actually used one primarily to give me a little more length.

I'm going to have to remember the masking tape idea for next time.

·
Premium Member
2,648 Posts
I changed the 300C plugs at 42,689 miles. Prior to changing the car started, idled and ran just like new.

·
Premium Member
4,708 Posts
Besides just normal dirt from wear and tear, the old plugs didn't look bad. I gauged all of them when I took them out and they were all around .045". I doubt this is coincidence but the plugs on the drivers side of the engine seemed to have a slightly larger gap by maybe .005 (meaning they were .050" when gauged). Besides that, they were perfect. I'll put some highway miles on my car tomorrow and see if the gas mileage is any better. It better get better after I have it serviced on Saturday.

I too, at 38+K miles, am overdue for a change of spark plugs. I am planning to change them once the weather improves. Since I retired in October 2007 the miles have come very slowly. I have been running with the Predator performance 93 CAI tune for the last couple of months, and even with the increased revs in the gears (which I generally like to attain at the 1-2 shift as often as possible!) I haven't noticed a hint of a falter. If it had ever faltered I'm sure the CEL would have come to life, unless it can't detect a miss of just one plug per cylinder.

I read 'reppinthesouth's opening comments (including "he wrote 0.35" on the box") and his/her above comment with a questioning mind (I don't put much stock in what auto parts counterpersons write on boxes, especially if their countertop computer told them the number!) as an additional 0.10" of gap due to 37K miles of use sounded excessive to me.

So I did a little research. According to the CD service manual for the 2005 5.7L V-8, the spark plug electrode gap is "1.14 mm (.045 in.)".

So, unless the nominal spark plug gap for the 2006 model year is different from that of the 2005, the 'wear' on the plugs after 37K miles is certainly quite minimal.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Owners manual states to change spark plugs every 47,000 K and you can only use copper type not any other . You will burn a hole in the piston if you use platinum type of spark plug as there are two spark plugs per cylinder - too much heat + oxygen ( combustion).
B D HEMI
Platinum does not burns holes, The center electrode and ground are coated with a little bit of platinum which prevents electrode from wearing away, hense they last longer makeing changing plugs less frequent. plat plugs last up to 50k for economy plats and some cars with hi end plats last up to 100k. Chrysler uses copper because it is cheaper with 16 plugs on the motor and they get you back at the dealer every 30k.Economy plats at 4 to 6 dollars and hi end plat plugs at 8 to 12 dollars each. You would not bring the car to the dealer for a tune up if you had to pay 12 dollars a plug x 16 plus labor plus all other maint items that are due.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I read 'reppinthesouth's opening comments (including "he wrote 0.35" on the box") and his/her above comment with a questioning mind (I don't put much stock in what auto parts counterpersons write on boxes, especially if their countertop computer told them the number!) as an additional 0.10" of gap due to 37K miles of use sounded excessive to me.

So I did a little research. According to the CD service manual for the 2005 5.7L V-8, the spark plug electrode gap is "1.14 mm (.045 in.)".

So, unless the nominal spark plug gap for the 2006 model year is different from that of the 2005, the 'wear' on the plugs after 37K miles is certainly quite minimal.
I probably should have explained it better. I went to the parts store knowing the gap was supposed to be .045". Between that and him saying the car didn't come with copper plugs, I knew something was off.

Anyway, the wear was minimal. I would be willing to guess that 10k+ of my miles are from highway driving so I'm sure that plays a part.

·
Registered
336 Posts
The stealer told me that I was due for plugs also when I was around 30000. It would have cost me $250.00 at the stealer. I read a thread from the forum about plugs and printed instructions from the LX forum, went out and bought what I needed and did it all for...are you ready for this...? $27.00 !! I love this site. I'm at 38,000 miles now and my car runs beautifully, better than the day I picked it up. Knowledge is power. Stick with the people on this site, they do not steer you wrong.

·
Premium Member
2,648 Posts
ReppinTheSouth, I hope you installed copper plugs with the right gap since the Advance Auto parts guy did not know how to look it up and wrote the wrong gap on the plugs box .

·
Registered
300 Posts
spark plugs

Show me anybody who has switched their copper spark plugs to platinum and has had absolutely no issues. It was explained to me that platinum spark plugs burn hotter than copper , thus not suitable for hemi engines .
B D HEMI

1 - 20 of 25 Posts