Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
And i must say that the dealer oil that they put in is absolute garbage!!! OMG!! I'm questioning if it was really oil or just some yellowish fluid from a macdonalds grease bin:pat: ... anyways i put mobil one full synthetic in... freakin $60 oil change :chairfall

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
i must also add... don't get that crap on ur hands as it died mine yellow... plus is smells like BO lol

·
Registered
494 Posts
Changed mine yesterday. Bought Royal Purple 5w20 and the K&N filter for $65. Paid Pep boys $20 to change the oil and rotate the tires. Dealers will rip you off any way they can!:dead1:

·
Premium Member
4,541 Posts
And i must say that the dealer oil that they put in is absolute garbage!!! OMG!! I'm questioning if it was really oil or just some yellowish fluid from a macdonalds grease bin:pat: ... anyways i put mobil one full synthetic in... freakin $60 oil change :chairfall
I agree on using synthetic oil (although I prefer Royal Purple) but I didn't notice anything strange about the factory fill oil in either of my Hemi's (2005 300C and 2007 Ram 1500). How many miles did you run on the factory oil before the initial change? I went about 700 miles in the "C" and right around 600 in the Ram.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
2,850 miles

·
Premium Member
4,455 Posts
my dealer told me they put synthetic in my car, but I don't believe it. (They forgot to use my M1 I had on the passenger seat floor!)

·
Registered
17 Posts
Sometimes you wonder how big of note you have to stick on the dash of the car before the technician will see it and read what you really want done to your car!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
53 Posts
Heaven forbid that the dealership makes any money or even worse the fact that the tech has a home to pay for and children to feed and take care of JASONB20. Damn them dealerships that charge for services rendered.

·
Premium Member
4,541 Posts
Paid Pep boys $20 to change the oil and rotate the tires. Dealers will rip you off any way they can!:dead1:
Yeah 'cuz everyone knows that "Pep Boys" has the most qualified technicians, right? :pat:

Not that oil changes or tire rotations take special skill ( heck I can do it so it can't be THAT difficult!) but I'd bet you money that they just tightened your lug nuts with a 1/2" Impact gun rather than the proper way (with a torque wrench). And I don't even wanna imagine what they did to you oil drain plug! :pat:

Are you sure the Royal Purple you purchased is really in your car, and not in the "Pep Boys" guy's car?........Maybe some good ol' Bulk Pennzoil 10w40 in your car right now for all you know.......

Sarcasim02 has a good point.......

·
Registered
544 Posts
There are crooks everywhere but an oil change at a reputable Chrysler Dealer is great!!!!!!! Chrysler 5W-20 and filter for most 300Cs at $32.50 every 3000 to 6000 miles will take care of you!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
2,328 Posts
I change my oil myself. Takes me 30 minutes including jacking up the car and putting it on stands. Dealers are rip offs and they do the same stuff like less repair shops. I've heard from chrysler techs that the guys who change oil are not the "real" techs and when you bring your own expensive oil sometime they keep it too. I've heard where they don't change your oil at all sometimes.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Oil

I think dealers cheat and put in 5W30 instead 5W20.

HKS

·
Registered
494 Posts
Heaven forbid that the dealership makes any money or even worse the fact that the tech has a home to pay for and children to feed and take care of JASONB20. Damn them dealerships that charge for services rendered.
Wow, you must've been a salesman at one time. First off, I never said the Techs were the crooks, read the post correctly. I was referring to the multi-million dollar generating dealerships in everytown with inflated service charges. The Techs are being paid hourly and not on commission, so I'm sure they are still able to feed their families. So you'd rather me get cornholed at my dealer and not worry about my family?? Heres a link for you:

http://www.feedthechildren.org/

·
Registered
494 Posts
Yeah 'cuz everyone knows that "Pep Boys" has the most qualified technicians, right? :pat:

Not that oil changes or tire rotations take special skill ( heck I can do it so it can't be THAT difficult!) but I'd bet you money that they just tightened your lug nuts with a 1/2" Impact gun rather than the proper way (with a torque wrench). And I don't even wanna imagine what they did to you oil drain plug! :pat:

Are you sure the Royal Purple you purchased is really in your car, and not in the "Pep Boys" guy's car?........Maybe some good ol' Bulk Pennzoil 10w40 in your car right now for all you know.......

Sarcasim02 has a good point.......
You are absolutely right. Next time, I will change the oil myself because it never crossed my mind that I might of been Jacked and given a cheaper oil in exchange for my Royal Purple. Gotta go now and check my engine.........lol.

·
Registered
59 Posts

Try Wal Mart, I'm serious, it's the best deal around. 7 qts. Mobil1 0W-40 a Fram TG16 Filter, Under $60.00. Just stay with your vehicle and watch them.

Jack

·
Premium Member
697 Posts
First off, let me say that I'm not wanting to start an argument. I'm just wanting to share my point of view for your consideration. I don't know you or anyone you know or work for, so this isn't aimed at you personally at all, okay?

Your post makes me wonder if maybe you're a tech, or maybe you're a business owner of some kind trying to do a good job and make a decent living. If you're a tech, maybe you work for a good dealer that makes a fair profit and treats their customers as they want to be treated elsewhere. If you're not one, maybe you know one. We all read here of owners that get excellent service at dealers that really look out for their customers. And they have no problem paying them for that service. Neither would I.

I think most of us have no problem with dealers making a fair profit and paying qualified techs a fair wage. I think the problem we have is twofold (well, threefold actually): 1) where do you find those fair dealers? 2) where do you find the competent dealers? and 3) when you can't find both 1) and 2) at the same place, how do we protect ourselves from being overcharged and under-serviced?

I live in a small town with one dealer. I don't really have a problem with them yet. I'm a new owner. Time will tell, either way. He's a 5*. The next nearest ones are 15 miles, 18 miles, 22 miles and 25 miles away, in four different directions. Then there's two more 38 miles and 45 miles away. Two of those aren't 5*, though I'm not sure that really makes a difference. (It seems like 5* in reality has a lot more to do with volume than it does with quality.) I could and will go somewhere else if I find I need to and find one the meets my two requirements. But it will be more of a hassle and take longer to get my servicing done properly and fairly if that's what I have to do. I shouldn't have to.

Case in point... I wanted a valet key - just a key with no keyless entry functions that I could give to a shop, the dealer or whoever needed it to take care of my car. Dealer price? $50 + $35 to cut and program it. $85 for a valet key.

Me: But can't I program it myself?

Parts Manager: You can get just a regular key, but it will only unlock the door. You can't start the car with it unless you wanna have us come tow your car and get the ignition reprogrammed.

Me: But I thought I read in the manual that if you had two working programmed keys, you could program a third one yourself. (You can have up to 8 programmed, actually.) I know I need one of the transponder keys, but I thought I could do the programming myself. No?

Parts Manager: Well, the only way we've ever done them is cut them and program them with the computer.

Me: With the StarSCAN?

Parts Manager: (looking a little quizzical, like, "How's he know about a StarSCAN?") Yes.

Me: Well, okay. Let me go back and re-read the manual and get myself straight and I'll let you know about the key blank.

Parts Manager: Okay.

So I come home and re-read what I was pretty sure I'd already read in the manual. Clear instructions on how to program additional transponder keys if you have two working keys.

Next, onto eBay. Find a seller with 53,000+ ratings and 99.7% positive feedback. Order my non-keyless entry, transponder blank for $20.44, delivered. It arrives today, three days later. Get the key cut at the hardware store for no charge, since they weren't selling me a blank. (I offered twice to pay, but they insisted. No.)

Re-read the manual again. Instructions are the same as what the eBay seller provides. Go to the car with my two OEM keys and the new one. Two minutes later, my new key is programmed and working perfectly. I go for a little drive just to make sure the car's not gonna go ape with this 'foreign' key in it. Zero problem.

$85 vs. $20 and two minutes of my time. (...well, 10 minutes with all my anal reading and re-reading. The parts guy had me just a tiny bit worried with his "tow your car" thing, but the instructions were very clear.)

He either lied to me, or didn't even know about clear instructions right in the manual. And this isn't a brand new product. They've had plenty of time to learn it. I'm not sure which is worse. I'm the farthest thing from a mechanic or car expert. I shouldn't already know more than the Parts Manager does about any part of my car. I'd have happily paid him the first $50 and never would have checked on eBay, if not for that $35 programming charge that should have been free (included) with the blank price.

So, that's why we can be a bit cynical about dealer service sometimes, at some dealers, and why I'll take my car to the neighborhood shop that I've patronized for seven years for all my non-warranty work. I'll gladly pay him what he charges because he meets both of my requirements for good, fair service and prices. I hope you can understand.

·
Registered
731 Posts
Why would you expect anything more from the dealer. I could talk for hours about the amount of times I was more educated about the product than the clowns they have working at the dealers.

It starts in the sales dept. when they don't have a clue about the vehicle, features, rebates, etc. Then it transfers to the shop. Can't tell you how many times I have to remind them what amount of oil my engines take as well as the proper viscosity. These are just the simple things. Pretty basic, huh? Yet, they still can't get it right. I could go on and on, but you get the picture.

·
Premium Member
7,787 Posts
sorry to add...

my selling Dealer's Service Manager actually argued with me at my first oil change, insisting all Hemis took 5w-20 oil!

Seriously, most Mopar owners would feel great about their cars if they can find a good place to get them fixed. Every one I meet has a story!

Shop around. I found a Dodge dealer that treats my car like a rock star!

·
Premium Member
4,541 Posts
The Techs are being paid hourly and not on commission, so I'm sure they are still able to feed their families.

You are probably right that the oil change kid is paid hourly; but in most cases (probably 90%) the real technicians are paid on "flat rate". They get paid an hourly rate, but the hours are based on what the flat rate book allows for a job, not the number of hours they are on the premises clocked in. So if there's no work, or only a couple small jobs that pay 2 or 3 hours flat rate, that's all the tech gets paid, no matter if he's actually there all day. Conversely, a GOOD tech who's done a particular job a few times can sometimes beat the book (do the job in less time than it pays). This is about the only way an automotive technician makes a decent living, considering the HUGE investment they have in tools (most people do not realize auto mechanics must supply their own tools, which can easily be an investment of $20,000 to $50,000)l

Another thing many are not aware of is that technicians at dealerships make less money on warranty repairs. Chrysler (and other manufacturers) pays the dealership for warranty work, but at a lesser hourly rate than customer pay work usually. And normally the tech's hourly pay is a percentage of the shop's hourly rate.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts