Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I keep getting a code P1417. "Cylinder 7 Reactivation Control Performance". The car will drive fine, then start to shake like a really bad rough idle. Does anyone know what could be the cause of this? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
2 Posts
P1417 and P0300 Rough Idle Fix

I keep getting a code P1417. "Cylinder 7 Reactivation Control Performance". The car will drive fine, then start to shake like a really bad rough idle. Does anyone know what could be the cause of this? Thanks in advance.
Disconnect both battery cables and rub, them together. (This will clear the PCM memory) Then replace the Cam position sensor First, it's right by the thermostat housing and a 5 minute fix. Hook the cables back up and see if it fixed the problem. If there is still rough idle you have to replace the Crank Position Sensor. A little harder since it is mounted just above the starter so you have to move it aside to replace it!
((It would be smart to replace both sensors at the same time)). There only 25 bucks each at Autozone)

·
Administrator
19,626 Posts
Don't rub those cables together. Just remove the negative cable for about 30 minutes tops. You can also pull the Auto Shutoff/PCM fuse in the underhood power control center (fusebox) for the same amount of time to clear the code. But the problem won't go away with just clearing the code.

Code 1417 is actually CYLINDER 7 REACTIVATION CONTROL PERFORMANCE
Here is the Theory of Operation

When all criteria has been met, power is supplied to each MDS Solenoid when the engine is making a transition from 8 cylinder mode to 4 cylinder mode. By actuating the solenoid, oil pressure is raised to the pair of lifters that coincide with each particular solenoid. The oil pressure pushes in the locking pins that allows the lifter to collapse, decoupling the valves and camshaft.

So it has nothing to do with the spark plugs or coil packs , injectors or the crank or knock sensor It has to do with the MDS and the solenoid and the electrical circuit for cyl 7 and it also has to do with the oil passages being restricted so there is not enough pressure to activate the locking pins to allow the lifters to collapse.

Not sure how the MDS was checked but with a scan tool you could activate the solenoid 7 so if you hear it working than the oil passages are restricted so you would have to clean that out
Hope that gives you a better understanding of what is going on.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Ok, I had this same problem with my 2006 Chrysler 300 5.7 hemi. The first thing I did was to change both the cam sensor and the crank position sensor. After I installed them, I still had the P 1417 and then I had P 0307. I checked my plugs in cylinder 7 and found that one was extremely loose. It only took me one turn to takes the plug out. After I replaced both plugs in cylinder 7 I started the car and still had the same shaking. Then I read in a different forum that I needed to reset the computer after taking out both sensors. I simply disconnected the battery for 30 minutes to reset the computer. After reconnecting the battery cable the car is running great. No codes and the car is back to normal.

·
Registered
151 Posts
This thread is helpful - I had a code for P 0307 and thought it might be a bad coil pack, swapped it with another cylinder but still got the same code, same cylinder. Changed plugs, light stayed on (same code), but a day later started the car and it ran fine with no code. A few days later, remote started it and the car shut off. CEL light was on; same code. Drove a while, shut it down, turned it back on and the code disappeared.

Thinking it could be a loose plug - hoping there is nothing going on with the MDS.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts