Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here we go again.
Another CEL this A.M. on the way to work. This time I first noticed it about two blocks from home. Called the stealership enroute and dropped the car off.
Last time it was multiple codes (at least 4 unrelated) for no definitive reasons.
"THAT'S TWICE!"

·
Registered
236 Posts
Was the gas cap on tightly? (Make sure it clicks a few times!)

That is one way the Check Engine Light will come on. Part of the OBD II System for the emission controls.

Hope this helps.

Sincerely yours,

Brian T. Carotenuto

·
Premium Member
3,499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
glhs837 said:
Next time, pull the codes yourself, and tell us what they are.
Like I said, I was on the way to work when it came on. The stealership is on the way, so I just continued on and dropped it off on the way.

·
Premium Member
3,499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
gossame1 said:
Was the gas cap on tightly? (Make sure it clicks a few times!)

That is one way the Check Engine Light will come on. Part of the OBD II System for the emission controls.

Hope this helps.

Sincerely yours,

Brian T. Carotenuto
I thought about that, but was too lazy (and pissed) to pullover to check it. I called ahead to the stealership. They made no such suggestion when I had them on the phone or when I pulled into the shop. I have two trips to work (approx. 120 miles and six starts), and one round trip up an down my driveway (total = 150') on it since the last fill-up. I figured the CEL should have popped up sooner if it was a loose cap.
There is a bit of a pattern here though. The first CEL came when I picked up the car at the stealership after it did an overnight to have the frontend properly aligned. So it had a couple of short duration runs around the stealership's lot. This time it went 75' feet down my driveway, spent the night while the grill mod paint job dried, and went back up the driveway the same 75'. I also started the engine late yesterday and let it idle with the A/C on while I cleaned the haze from the inside of the windows. I didn't notice the volts while it was idling with the A/C on yesterday. This A.M. it was at 14.2 when I left the house.
It might not be liking these short duration runs on top of each other?

·
Registered
563 Posts
That shouldn't make a difference, not if it's operating properly. I was not being accusatory, I understand perfectly. The pulling them was just a suggestion for next time.

Of course the dealer won't suggest stuff you might do to fix it. That would mean no repair time to bill. While time you pay for is more dollars than warranty time, it's still time they get to bill. And most dealer techs and service managers don't know about the backdoors into the system. Since they have the real tools, they never learn.

·
Premium Member
3,499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Just got the call: replaced brake light switch.

One of the multi-codes last month was the same. They found nothing wrong at that time with the brake light switch, or anything else for that matter!

The code is P0571 brake switch 1 performance.

What next?

PS - Also got a dirty thumb-print looking smudge on the headliner. Bumbling baphoons!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts