Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While I was driving home a few minutes ago the check engine ( engine logo) ligght illuminated on dashboard. I had been sitting in the Wendy's drive thru for a while and when driving off hit the accelerator and felt like I had lost power momentarily and then I regained it, but the engine light remains on. It is not flashing but remains lit while driving. Anyone else had this problem or know what could cause this or what the solution is.

Note I filled up with the same gas I always use and 3/4 tank left and I made sure the gas cap was tight.

·
Premium Member
2,239 Posts
kobe8 said:
While I was driving home a few minutes ago the check engine ( engine logo) ligght illuminated on dashboard. I had been sitting in the Wendy's drive thru for a while and when driving off hit the accelerator and felt like I had lost power momentarily and then I regained it, but the engine light remains on. It is not flashing but remains lit while driving. Anyone else had this problem or know what could cause this or what the solution is.

Note I filled up with the same gas I always use and 3/4 tank left and I made sure the gas cap was tight.
Any number of things could cause the light to come on; there's a code stored in the computer memory that will tell the technician what circuit to start testing. Even if the light goes out the code should still be stored, so get it to the dealer and find out what it is.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
try this...
turn your key the following way...
ACC-On-ACC-On-ACC-On
stereo off...
door closed...
and it will give you the code...
then there is a list on the site here - I believe under the TSB section...
and if you post it here (the code)...
someone will be along shortly with an explanation of what the code is...
and what it means...
usually is not major...
major is when it is flashing...
DO NOT DRIVE when flashing everyone!!!
Good luck!!!
Sincerely,

·
Registered
701 Posts
cbutler32 said:
try this... ...
Good luck!!!
Sincerely,
OK I won't. :) But it's hard to flash because of the side bolsters anyway. I'll be extra careful about it if the check-engine light is on.

Usually (almost always in the Benz) CEL means emissions system related problem. You can probably determine if it affects anything else by traditional measures like oil pressure, coolant temp, is it running rough, etc.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
cbutler32 said:
try this...
ACC-On-ACC-On-ACC-On
stereo off...
door closed...
and what it means...
usually is not major...
Good luck!!!
Sincerely,

I tried the ACC/ON and I got nothing. Are you supposed to be on a specific screen in the EVIC to get the information to display?

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
kobe8 said:
I tried the ACC/ON and I got nothing. Are you supposed to be on a specific screen in the EVIC to get the information to display?
no

·
Registered
204 Posts
cbutler32 said:
try this...
ACC-On-ACC-On-ACC-On
stereo off...
door closed...
and what it means...
usually is not major...
Good luck!!!
Sincerely,
I got our 300c stuck in our driveway 2 days ago when we got 1.5 feet of snow in about a 4 hour period (stupid tires!), and had to shovel her out about 3 times. I live out in the country, so my "driveway" is about 80 yards long, and slopes uphill all the way. The third time I was shoveling it out, I left the car idling (10 mins max). When I got back in to drive it out (finally :arms:), the check engine light had come on solid. It reamins on solid today as well.
I will not be able to try these instructions to display the code until my other half gets home with the car. I do have a question though...Is there a way to clear the warning light, or is that a dealer only sort of thing?

·
Registered
14 Posts
kobe8 said:

These lights are almost always a result of an emission systems error- it rarely indicates a problem with the engine itself. The light is government-madated as part of the ODB-II system on all cars built after 1996 (might be wrong on the year). As you obviously know, gas-cap related errors are far and away the most common source. You may have gotten bad gas during the last fill up (or more specifically your car got bad gas during it's last fill-up)- that's about the only thing I have even seen affect driveability and also trigger the check engine light. I once had a grand cherokee throw a piston rod into the block and the check engine light never came on...

The sequence in the post above should tell you the code, but personally I invested in a code reader long ago. You can pick one up for $100 or so, and it will allow you to read all of the error codes from your system, but will also allow you to clear them (assuming the codes are not of a concern to you, of course!). They are great to have around, as you can quickly tell if a trip to the mechanic is warranted. For a car under warranty it's not a big deal, but once that warranty is up it's hard to beat as tools go.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
KWhale said:
I got our 300c stuck in our driveway 2 days ago when we got 1.5 feet of snow in about a 4 hour period (stupid tires!), and had to shovel her out about 3 times. I live out in the country, so my "driveway" is about 80 yards long, and slopes uphill all the way. The third time I was shoveling it out, I left the car idling (10 mins max). When I got back in to drive it out (finally :arms:), the check engine light had come on solid. It reamins on solid today as well.
I will not be able to try these instructions to display the code until my other half gets home with the car. I do have a question though...Is there a way to clear the warning light, or is that a dealer only sort of thing?
Pull fuse 11 for 15-20 seconds...
car off obviously...
re-insert...
turn over...
should not have any check engine light...

·
Registered
204 Posts
Thanks cbutler32! I was able to do the ACC-on trick with the key, and dump the code (p0573) as you said. I checked the TSB forum and found a couple examples of people being stuck in snow or mud, who got the same code. The dealer was just clearing them, so I figured I was safe to do the same.
When I pulled fuse 11 as you kindly directed, the code didn't go away though. I checked the fuse map in the owners manual, and it listed fuse 14 as another PCM fuse. I pulled 14, then waited 30 seconds or so, plugged it back in, and the light was cleared. Drove it for about an hour last night, with no warning light returning, so I think my problem is solved.
You were very helpful on this one for me, indicated what I need to investigate and which areas to look on for answers. I appreciate your help, and the great responses we get from everyone on this forum. Thanks again!

·
Registered
5 Posts
i totally agree here with KWhale - this forum, and all of you are the GREATEST! i had the same problem with the check engine light today (and i was just driving normally, and it popped on at a light and stayed on when i got back in after work) - I brought it into the dealer. the service tech came back and said no big problem, but i had a faulty thermostat and he was ordering me a new one for replacement. hopefully this will fix the issue. i don't know what i would do without this forum. you take all of my worries away.

many thanks!

HemiBabe

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
i totally agree here with KWhale - this forum, and all of you are the GREATEST! i had the same problem with the check engine light today (and i was just driving normally, and it popped on at a light and stayed on when i got back in after work) - I brought it into the dealer. the service tech came back and said no big problem, but i had a faulty thermostat and he was ordering me a new one for replacement. hopefully this will fix the issue. i don't know what i would do without this forum. you take all of my worries away.

many thanks!

HemiBabe
your welcome.

·
Premium Member
3,499 Posts

many thanks!

HemiBabe
Don't hold your breath while waiting for the replaacement t-stat. According to others on this forum they are on backorder nationwide.
I replaced mine with a 180*F t-stat to run cooler. I had not had any CEL yet, here's what my stock t-stat looks like after 25K miles:

Note the rubber part is coming apart. When it gets stuck in the open t-stat the engine runs too cool and pops the CEL.

·
Registered
2 Posts

well i had the same problem. last weekend when i had my lambo doors put on, they did some electrical stuff to the doors, when i got my car back, my engine light came on...then went off and has never come on since..i was guessing it was b/c they took some fuses out and put them back in...maybe that effected it. the car runs just as good, even though the light came on...who knows what it was...

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
I'll offer you the same advice I just offered another forum-mate here, kobe:

Step one is to read post #1 here: http://www.300cforums.com/forums/pe...lx-hemis-3.html?highlight=modding+the+lx+hemi

Follow the directions for getting the failsafe MotoRad 383-170 thermostat from your AutoZone (many now carry it in stock - otherwise you're looking at 2 days, usually, for a no-charge special order).

Once you have the new stat, a 13mm socket, and a one gallon Zip-Lock freezer bag, you're 15 minutes and a pint or so of distilled water away from having the finest tstat anywhere installed in your sweet ride, right in your own garage or driveway.

Good luck, and enjoy your new-found power that this great 176-degree (actual opening temp) tstat has freed up for you. And the freedom from worry of a thermostat failure that only this failsafe tstat can give.

Before summer gets here complete the cooling picture with a fan mod. Post 1, above, tells you all about those as well.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I am so thankful that I checked this forum. This is EXACTLY what happened to me yesterday. I was mortified that one day after buying my 2007 300C that the check engine light came on. It took me about 5 minutes of backing up and pulling forward to get out. That is when the check engine light came on. I also just filled up. Maybe the gas in the car is bad??

·
Registered
5 Posts
Thank you!

These lights are almost always a result of an emission systems error- it rarely indicates a problem with the engine itself. The light is government-madated as part of the ODB-II system on all cars built after 1996 (might be wrong on the year). As you obviously know, gas-cap related errors are far and away the most common source. You may have gotten bad gas during the last fill up (or more specifically your car got bad gas during it's last fill-up)- that's about the only thing I have even seen affect driveability and also trigger the check engine light. I once had a grand cherokee throw a piston rod into the block and the check engine light never came on...

The sequence in the post above should tell you the code, but personally I invested in a code reader long ago. You can pick one up for $100 or so, and it will allow you to read all of the error codes from your system, but will also allow you to clear them (assuming the codes are not of a concern to you, of course!). They are great to have around, as you can quickly tell if a trip to the mechanic is warranted. For a car under warranty it's not a big deal, but once that warranty is up it's hard to beat as tools go.
This is EXACTLY what happed to my 07 300C yesterday, just one day after buying it! I freaked out when I saw that check engine light come on after trying to get the car out of the snow in my driveway. I feel so much better! I pray that this was the problem. It seems as though it is. Other than the check engine light, the car purrs like a kitten and runs like a champ. At least from what I've experienced so far. THANK YOU!!

·
Premium Member
3,499 Posts
Just drive normally. More than likely with all the wheel spinning the sensors have put everything on edge. After 3 normal drive cycles the CEL should go out.

You can pull the trouble code out of the EVIC (more correctly the odometer) if you do the "key dance". Be ready to write it down, then report back here for a definition.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Just drive normally. More than likely with all the wheel spinning the sensors have put everything on edge. After 3 normal drive cycles the CEL should go out.

You can pull the trouble code out of the EVIC (more correctly the odometer) if you do the "key dance". Be ready to write it down, then report back here for a definition.
Thank you. Today will be the third time I've driven it since this happened. Hopefully it will turn off. I tried the key thing to bring up the code and it didn't work. The door was was shut and stereo was off, so I don't know what I'm doing wrong. Any suggestions?

·
Premium Member
3,499 Posts
Thank you. Today will be the third time I've driven it since this happened. Hopefully it will turn off. I tried the key thing to bring up the code and it didn't work. The door was was shut and stereo was off, so I don't know what I'm doing wrong. Any suggestions?
As I recall it's either OFF/ON/OFF/ON/OFF/ON, or possibly OFF/ON/ACC/ON/ACC/ON, stopping in the third ON position. Then watch the odometer for the code(s) until 'done' pops up.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts