Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody here with MF's that have a problem with the check engine light? Ive been shopping around for a MF and this mufler shop said that they have had customers returning to them becuz their check engine light is coming on.... Is this guy legit or is he an idiot thats trying to flim flam me to buy some cheezy custom exhuast? BTW wuts the average price you guys are getting ur Magnaflows systems (installed)? Thnx

·
Registered
94 Posts
ParkLife said:
Anybody here with MF's that have a problem with the check engine light? Ive been shopping around for a MF and this mufler shop said that they have had customers returning to them becuz their check engine light is coming on.... Is this guy legit or is he an idiot thats trying to flim flam me to buy some cheezy custom exhuast? BTW wuts the average price you guys are getting ur Magnaflows systems (installed)? Thnx
He is full of it. No problems at all - at least with a cat-back system.

·
Banned
1,300 Posts
I'm not even sure how a CAT-BACK can cause a CEL. The issue is with the aftermarket cats. The O2 sensor immediately AFTER the cats and BEFORE the cat back system is what triggers the code. Some have issues with headers - but not cat-backs.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Parklife,
being the resident Magnaflow "FANBOY"...
:reporter:
you should have no problems at all!!!
no one here has...

·
Registered
442 Posts
No problems with mine either. I have had it for about a year now.

Maybe this muffler guy is forgetting to disconnect the battery before the install?

That might throw a CEL in some cases.

Or maybe muffler guy is not re-connecting the grounding strap that is supposed to
be hooked up at the back of the exhaust on the passenger side of the car? That
could throw a CEL too.

Either way, muffler guy is feeding you a line of crap. He wants to sell you his own
system probably.

I bought my Magnaflow cat-back from HHP, one of our very own vendors. Josh
was great to work with, and I got my system for $600.00. That was a year ago,
so I can not say if that price is still the price of the system today. Contact Josh
at HHP for their latest prices. What is posted on their website is not the price we
on the forum pay, so you have to call to get the better price. Its worth the call!!

I installed the system myself using a pair of ramps, a 3/8 ratchet wrench, two
deep well sockets and a floor jacket. Thats all it takes to remove the old system, and
put the Magnaflow on!!

It don't get much easier than that!! Unbolt the old system, use the floor jack to
support it as you pull it out from under the car (because its heavy), and bolt up the
new stuff! Zip zip and you are done!!

Instant smile on your face as you fire it up, and drive it around. Now your Hemi will
sound like a Hemi should.

Jim

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
ParkLife said:
Anybody here with MF's that have a problem with the check engine light?..BTW wuts the average price you guys are getting ur Magnaflows systems (installed)?...
No problems period.

The guy's either an idiot or a crook - either way, ditch him fast.

Total price, installed - less than $600. Thanks tbyrne.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanx fellas, just needed some encouraging words for peace of mind.... now about the price.... so far im looking at $850 installed.... is that aight? or am i getting raped?

·
Registered
443 Posts
ParkLife said:
Thanx fellas, just needed some encouraging words for peace of mind.... now about the price.... so far im looking at $850 installed.... is that aight? or am i getting raped?
not sure about the pricing in southern Cali, but 850 seems a little high. I was right at about 700 all in (Florida) so you may want to check around. Try going to the Magnaflow site www.magnaflow.com and punch in your zip code........it'll cross reference ALL of the authorized Magnaflow dealers and installers.....this would be your best place to start.

As for the CEL's........ummmm..........no. Only reason I could think it MIGHT (and thats a big MIGHT) happen is if they forgot to disconnect the battery before doing the install. Headers might get some CEL's, but no cat-back I've ever heard of would do it.

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
jconnolly1119 said:
not sure about the pricing in southern Cali, but 850 seems a little high. I was right at about 700 all in (Florida) so you may want to check around. Try going to the Magnaflow site www.magnaflow.com and punch in your zip code........it'll cross reference ALL of the authorized Magnaflow dealers and installers.....this would be your best place to start.

As for the CEL's........ummmm..........no. Only reason I could think it MIGHT (and thats a big MIGHT) happen is if they forgot to disconnect the battery before doing the install. Headers might get some CEL's, but no cat-back I've ever heard of would do it.
John's very helpful comments spark two thoughts here, ParkLife:

As you live in LA, you're a very quick drive from MagnaFlow themselves. I'd make a phone call, or even just drop in - they're a very friendly group there - and play let's make a deal. They can turn a car very quickly, but it may take an appointment. You can check out their dyno stalls, new projects, etc. - better than a day at the Guggenheim. ;)

John nailed the only reason that could conceivable throw a code - not following the clear guidance in the Magnaflow instructions to pull the battery cable. (Pulling fuse 11 would be just as effective, IMO, in accomplishing this.) What we're looking for is forcing the PCM to "reboot", thus causing it to re-inventory the hardware. That way you're now given credit for having a reduced resistance exhaust system.

Is see no other reason, safety or otherwise, for disconnecting the battery to hang some pipe & mufflers.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
As you live in LA, you're a very quick drive from MagnaFlow themselves. I'd make a phone call, or even just drop in - they're a very friendly group there - and play let's make a deal. They can turn a car very quickly, but it may take an appointment. You can check out their dyno stalls, new projects, etc. - better than a day at the Guggenheim.

and this is the very reason I am "FANBOY"!!!

It's even better when you get to hear your car get run out to 140 on the dyno - :biggrin:

Parklife - contact Tbyrne and Henessey - both are site sponsors and see what the cost is for the exhaust - then let me know (if you want) where you live around and I'll help you find someone here that got them done at their shop and partner you up with them.
Heck, come on down to SD this weekend for the meet and greet and meet everyone in person and get the info first hand...

·
Administrator
3,667 Posts
Meister said:
...As you live in LA, you're a very quick drive from MagnaFlow themselves...
Now THAT'S funny... There is no such thing as a "quick drive" in LA Slick!!
Hi "FANBOY" :wave: :silly:
Slight diversion... back on topic :wink1:

·
Registered
21 Posts
ParkLife said:
If the guy that installed the muffler did any type of welding on the car without disconnecting the battery, he may have damaged the computer, Seen that happen before, more than once.....

Tony

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
[QUOTE='05srt-8]If the guy that installed the muffler did any type of welding on the car without disconnecting the battery, he may have damaged the computer, Seen that happen before, more than once.....

Tony[/QUOTE]Thanks, Tony - There's at least one good reason to disconnect the battery itself when any work will be done on one's exhaust system.

As one who wants nothing in my exhaust system welded it was a non-issue for me, but for those even adding Blastin' Bobs tips it certainly could be if there's any arc welding involved.

Great point!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Once again, thnx fellas... I appreciate the feedback... As for fanboy, I live in the San Fernando Valley, so if u know anyone in that area that got a system for a decent price let me know... thnx again...

·
Registered
1 Posts
I personally don't think $850 installed is a bad price. Figure that regular price for the cat-back all by itself is >$1,000 (wihtout install) and it's hard to complain.

You could spend the next 2-3 weeks finding someone to do it for $50 or $100 less, but then you gotta ask yourself how much your time is worth...

And don't compare pricing dollar for dollar with Meister. He did get a great deal, but the SRT-8 system runs more expensive than for the others. FWIW, I just had my Magnaflow put on last week for my Magnum SRT-8 at $800 total.

- Mike

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Fuhrmanator said:
I personally don't think $850 installed is a bad price. Figure that regular price for the cat-back all by itself is >$1,000 (wihtout install) and it's hard to complain.

You could spend the next 2-3 weeks finding someone to do it for $50 or $100 less, but then you gotta ask yourself how much your time is worth...

And don't compare pricing dollar for dollar with Meister. He did get a great deal, but the SRT-8 system runs more expensive than for the others. FWIW, I just had my Magnaflow put on last week for my Magnum SRT-8 at $800 total.

- Mike

REMEMBER TO CAST YOUR VOTE for the runnning pole right now on modified exhausts or if you have stock!!!

·
Registered
227 Posts
Engine light

ParkLife said:
The guy is in short an idiot !! Stay clear of him.I have flo-master custom exhaust,and now quite a number of others with custom as well as cat-backs.Never heards of this ---- EVER !!!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts