Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone advise how to check the tranny fluid in my 2013 300C? It has that cap on the tube. Where can I buy a proper dipstick? My tranny slips when it is cold upon startup, and i want to check the most obvious thing first.
Thanks

·
Registered
174 Posts

·
Registered
490 Posts
Can anyone advise how to check the tranny fluid in my 2013 300C? It has that cap on the tube. Where can I buy a proper dipstick? My tranny slips when it is cold upon startup, and i want to check the most obvious thing first.
Thanks
Your best bet is to follow the proper service procedure for checking the fluid. Once you're sure the fluid level is correct, pop in an aftermarket dipstick and check to see if it's accurate. If it isn't, mark or notch it for future use.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Carl will probably correct me if this is wrong as I need to learn this to. But as I gather the proper way that Chrysler wants it done is to use a dipstick that measures in mm, I think from the bottom of the pan. Then compare that to the temperature of the fluid on a chart. X temp should be Y level.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks brother. I just went to Amazon and ordered both of them just to be sure.

Thanks for the reply.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Carl will probably correct me if this is wrong as I need to learn this to. But as I gather the proper way that Chrysler wants it done is to use a dipstick that measures in mm, I think from the bottom of the pan. Then compare that to the temperature of the fluid on a chart. X temp should be Y level.
Is there a link to the recommended procedure on the site anywhere?

·
Registered
174 Posts
Is there a link to the recommended procedure on the site anywhere?
On this site, IDK, but it's all over the net, and if you ordered the 2nd one I linked it'll come with instructions and a chart. This has reminded me, I just ordered that second one.

The first one I linked just has typical full cold, full hot markings but can be left in the dipstick tube and replaces the factory cap. The second one measures properly but can't be left in the car.

My thinking right now is I need to order the second one to properly measure, and as Carl said compare it to the one I can leave in and of course leave it in should I need it on a road trip or something.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I can use the dashboard info system to find trans temperature. But I still want to leave one in to check it wherever I need to check it.

·
Registered
174 Posts
I can use the dashboard info system to find trans temperature. But I still want to leave one in to check it wherever I need to check it.
Exactly, my thoughts as well.

BTW with it slipping I'd personally go ahead and add a quart if you have to drive it before checking. If it helps great, and you learn something. It's not unreasonable to assume that you've lost some fluid and that in the cold temps the fluid has gotten low enough to cause issues.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Thanks
How does it slip? If it shift flares from 1-2 and possibly from 2-3 (or even in higher gears) it’s from the fluid draining back into the pan and un-priming the 1-2 apply clutch. It’s normal, everyone has that issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
37 Posts
I use a 36" long white heavy duty ziptie to check trans fluid level. Levels for the NAG1 are as follows:
22mm cold oil level w/engine idling
65-70mm oil level w/ATF at or around 170 degrees.
Mark it off from the bottom with a permanent marker at 22 mm and up to 70 mm. Works for me!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts