Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I noticed this about a month ago. It doesn't do it every time, it is very intermittent. When I accelerate from a stop, I hear a chime like a warning chime. Nothing shows immediately on the display, but when you press the, I think, the compass button and the music button on the steering wheel for about 10 secs, you can scroll through a bunch of other settings(digital tach, raw temp recordings, etc.). Well, one of them said low oil.
I noticed this before I changed the oil last weekend. I changed it out with 7 quarts, and got the chime yesterday. I checked that display again and it said low oil, however, my oil level is fine.
I know I could take it to the dealer, but I'm thinking that I'll just get the 'could not duplicate customer concern'.
Does anyone know of a way to clear the low oil message from the message center? Disconnect battery for a couple minutes?
Or, has anyone else had this chime when accelerating from a dead stop?
Thanks!

·
Registered
336 Posts
Even if you have the full 7 qts of oil, are you sure your oil pickup in your pan is clear and operable? If you have a warning chime saying low oil on acceleration it may be the oil is shifting away from the pickup, or the pickup is defective causing it to be weak. ANY TIME you have an indication of low oil, I'd consult the dealer. Just my .02 :)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Could just be you have something on the passenger seat and the weight shift of the object is senced by the seat and the car is warning you that the passenger side airbag is being disengaged. ??

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
GreenMachine said:
Could just be you have something on the passenger seat and the weight shift of the object is senced by the seat and the car is warning you that the passenger side airbag is being disengaged. ??
I kinda thought that at first, but it has happened on three separate occasions with either no one in the seat, a 125 lb person or a 200 lb person.
Hmmmm, I'm going to do some testing today after work with some hard starts on an uphill, flat surface and a downhill.
I'm thinking that I was kinda low on oil before the last change, and since the sensor appears to have noticed that, the computer will still think it is low on oil until the computer is reset, which I will probably have to visit the dealer for to get that done. :(
Oh well, I guess I can't keep it from the dealer forever.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well, I just got off the phone with the service mgr at the dealer. He said to just keep an eye on it, and take note what was happening when it does it.
He said chances are, that they will not be able to duplicate the problem since it is so intermittent. :( I thought that might happen. At least I didn't take it in there, and wait all day for them to say that. LOL

·
Registered
99 Posts
Steve, unless leaving your 300 at the Dealer for a on-site check totally wrecks your day, I would put the problem right into the Dealers lap. Even if, at the end of the day, he reports finding nothing you are on record (and in the computer) with the problem. In a worst-case scenario of an engine failure due to poor oiling (heaven forbid), the problem is NOT just yours! Best of luck. PS: Put a pad/pen in your console and log everytime it happens. Dealers HATE documentation.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I had my oil changed yesterday at the dealer. First one was free. Today I looked at the invoice/reciept and it says for parts 1 Mopar oilfilter and 6 quarts oil MAybe this is just a standard equation to get to there static 29.95 price or maybe not. But the oil dipstick is full. You guys say 7 quarts. Im confused! This is for the HEMI BTW

·
Registered
381 Posts
Blue said:
I had my oil changed yesterday at the dealer. First one was free. Today I looked at the invoice/reciept and it says for parts 1 Mopar oilfilter and 6 quarts oil MAybe this is just a standard equation to get to there static 29.95 price or maybe not. But the oil dipstick is full. You guys say 7 quarts. Im confused! This is for the HEMI BTW

You're right. The Hemi does take 7 quarts. My dealers receipt also said 6 quarts. I question the svce. advisor and he said he personally watched the tech put in 7 quarts. I guess he looked over the techs shoulder as I made it very clear that I want 5-20 oil only. Anyway, I checked the oil when I got home and it was full.

·
Registered
365 Posts
I just looked in the Service Manual under Chimes and can find not one that states it will sound if the oil level is low in the crankcase. It will it the tranny is low or if there are abnormal temperatures in those areas (and others, of course).

·
Premium Member
829 Posts
steves300c said:
I kinda thought that at first, but it has happened on three separate occasions with either no one in the seat, a 125 lb person or a 200 lb person.
Hmmmm, I'm going to do some testing today after work with some hard starts on an uphill, flat surface and a downhill.
I'm thinking that I was kinda low on oil before the last change, and since the sensor appears to have noticed that, the computer will still think it is low on oil until the computer is reset, which I will probably have to visit the dealer for to get that done. :(
Oh well, I guess I can't keep it from the dealer forever.
I wouldn't think that you need to duplicate the problem. You have the display that shows low oil, yet the dipstick is full. They can easily attach their StarScan and check what codes were set by that. I would take it in.

·
Registered
169 Posts
jeepgrady said:
I guess he looked over the techs shoulder as I made it very clear that I want 5-20 oil only.
5-20?? :confused: Do you live somewhere it is very cold all year long? That's a little thin for summer months and hot weather.

·
Registered
381 Posts
mspeasl said:
5-20?? :confused: Do you live somewhere it is very cold all year long? That's a little thin for summer months and hot weather.

Did you read your owners manual which states that 5-20 is the recommended oil for this vehicle? Also, have you read some of the threads wheras it is alleged that performance/mileage has suffered when other than 5-20 is used?

·
Registered
2,719 Posts
I agree 5w20 seems thin but that is what the factory calls for (Ford and Honda too). Go with something other than 5w20 and risk MDS FUBAR, U R SOL because Chrysler is most expert at wiggling out of warranty claims. I concur, see the thoughts on synthetic oil thread.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well, I didn't get any chimes yesterday or this morning. On my way home yesterday, I checked the display and it now says "Last Chime Req" abs
WTF? I don't remember anytime that I had to brake hard to trip an abs light.
I'm thinking the 'puter is starting to go wacky.
If anyone else feels so inclined, please check your display and see if it says anything in there.
It is on the same screen as the odometer problems(which mine says 0) lol
You need to press and hold the compass and music buttons on your steering wheel for about 10 secs to get this part of the display up. Then just scroll through 3 or 4 screens with the up/down arrows on your wheel.
Thanks! :)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Here's a thought... Since you mentioned that it happened during hard excelleration, perhaps the fuel in the tank is being pushed back and uncovering the low fuel indicator and triggering the chime.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts