Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 91 Posts

·
Registered
650 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi all

Well it looks (touchwood) that I'm keeping this one so the next big question is box or remap...... I have been doing some reading on this and other forums and I read an interesting point on many sites....
Why is remapping a better option than a plug-in tuning box?

The option other than a proper remap is a plug-in tuning box, which can cost just as much - if not more than a proper remap. When asked which is the best, the answer is without a doubt a full remap. A tuning box gives false sensor readings throughout the complete rev-range which means the ECU is constantly told that not enough fuel is entering the engine, so it over fuels the engine to gain performance. Although performance gains are made, these are at the cost of high emissions, higher engine temperatures and general poor running of the engine. Problems that can be caused by the plug-in tuning box are poor running, black smoke emitting from the exhaust, clogged injectors, rough idle and the engine cutting out.

Is this true?
If so why does DCUK sell the SD6 chip?

Stig.
:)

·
Premium Member
2019 Chrysler 300 SRT
2,097 Posts
Mmmm, that may be true of generic fuel dumping tuning boxes. I have to say that the Dieseltuning CR2 produces none of those problems you mention. The only issue I see with a remap is the potential for it to be overwritten by the dealer during an update as has happened to a mate with his VW Golf.

Stef

·
Registered
144 Posts
I'm sure it is a plug in box isn't it?

Stef
yep your right.. my mistake.. can't believe they 'add on' to the engine instead of mapping.. Goes a long way to show how tuning boxes like the CR2 have come on in quality etc...

quote...

The STARTECH tuning kit consists of a computer-controlled auxiliary control unit complete with wire harness and installation instructions

:D

·
Premium Member
2,661 Posts
Hi all

Although performance gains are made, these are at the cost of high emissions, higher engine temperatures and general poor running of the engine. Problems that can be caused by the plug-in tuning box are poor running, black smoke emitting from the exhaust, clogged injectors, rough idle and the engine cutting out.
Is this true?
If so why does DCUK sell the SD6 chip?
Stig.
:)
I can't speak about the SD6 jobbie, because other than its very high cost, and the negative things that a few people have said on here, I've got no real knowledge of it.
Regarding the cigarette box, tuning chip, I do know a little bit, because my mate has one that he rates very highly and a few others on here have said very positive things about them as well.
FWIW, this is what I know, higher emissions ? without shoving a probe up his tailend, I wouldn't know. Higher engine temps ? he can only go off the evic temp gauge which reads the same as mine. Poor running of the engine ? Not from when I've been in the car with him !! Although the gearchanges don't seem to be as smooth, but its a really minimal and hardly noticeable difference. Black smoke from the exhaust ? After following him on quite a few occassions, he doesn't throw any black smoke out, neither does hi car use any oil. Clogged injectors ? Not so far, and nothing that has become apparent in over 25000 miles or 2 services. Rough idle ? As smooth as mine. Engine cutting out ? Not so far.
But what it does do is increase his mpg by about 5mpg, increases his levels of torque dramatically and the power is way up -- making the car a LOT more pleasureable to drive, day in, day out ------ well that's what he tells me when he tries to persuade me to do the same.

I hope that I've helped.

·
Registered
144 Posts
So MPG is increased therefore tuning boxes cannot be fooling the engine into taking in more fuel?

I think this is what they probably did when 1st came out but the technology has come a long way and now i would think its an ECU override that has a 'map' installed and disables the on board chip whilst connected. What and how they 'map' this i dont know but now i know that even the certified option is a tuning box not an engine ecu remap then it is all the more evidence to go for something like the CR2 box...

·
Premium Member
2019 Chrysler 300 SRT
2,097 Posts
Yorky,

They do fool the engine into using more fuel, but as I'm led to believe, it burns more efficiently with a full 'cylinder' of fuel which subsequently produces more power which in turns reduces how much effort is required to ultimately turn the wheels and hence more fuel efficient.

So a £200 purchase returning maybe 5 MPG more quite quickly pays for itself with the huge power increase an added bonus!!

Remember, 660Nm of torque!!

Stef

·
Premium Member
2019 Chrysler 300 SRT
2,097 Posts
Mmmm, good question. Don't think I'd want to try it to find out though!

Stef

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
I had my ECU remapped. What happens if I add a tuning box as well
Anyone got any updated input on this one? I've read somewhere that a chip tuning box can be added to a car with an ECU remap...

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
What are peoples thoughts on the SPIDER chip ?
They are good, but no way do they give the power gains they claim. I can't back that up mysel, but someone else has gone and paid for before and after dyno runs to check. Now they are in the process of getting their money back from the guys who make the spider.

I can say the Spider DOES increase your cars performance. Had mine fitted for a while now and I have gotten used to it, but when it was removed from the car a couple of times (once to get work done, the other to up the power setting) I can tell you I noticed the lack of power! The turbo lag felt so much worse and the car just didn't pick up as quickly as I expected purely because I was used to the Spider.

I'm going to take the Spider out and get a remap done, but haven't found anyone local who will do a custom tune. I might try the remap with the spider ontop set to normal settings. In theory this should end up giving me slightly more fuel injected than required, but other mods should take advantage of this.

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
944 Posts
How can they claim the power gains if they are not true ?. Main thing is they make it better to drive and more responsive which is why people buy them. What's the 0-60 of a 300c with a spider fitted on average ?

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
How can they claim the power gains if they are not true ?. Main thing is they make it better to drive and more responsive which is why people buy them. What's the 0-60 of a 300c with a spider fitted on average ?
If you read the small print the increases they state are upto those numbers and will depend on each car and driving style. So even if you get 15hp gain instead of the 40hp or so shown on their site what they are claiming is still true.

Don't get me wrong I am happy with my Spider and the extra kick it gives, but I'm not convinced it's putting out the max numbers stated.

·
Registered
503 Posts
anyone want a Spider Tuning Box?? ha ha
no i agree with everything propus says it does give a good increase and i've just tweaked it and i can tell there is a power increase, but you do not get the gains that Spider tell you, i was told today by the not so nice man from Spider that the last 300c they fitted a Spider to at thier office they had a reading of 272bhp!! on thier own dyno.
i had mine on the rolling road last week, and i got a reading of 268bhp but that was with a BMC filter on and a very large intercooler, when i unplugged it i got a reading of 248bhp so it was only giving 15bhp extra.
now i've tweaked it i am hoping for a higher bhp but its going to be nothing like they claim, dont get me wrong though i am very happy with it you can tell the difference when its fitted, the thing thats annoyed me with it is the company itself, customer service skills are zero and they told me my claims of it not doing what its supposed to were agressive and libelous!! ha ha.
but they claim with it 270bhp and it doesnt give it.

·
Registered
28 Posts
The question is if the Spider is not delivering the performance which it promises: is it worth the +300 UKP price?.
Or would a more cheaper chip box for a 100 UKP do the same job?

Regards

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
The question is if the Spider is not delivering the performance which it promises: is it worth the +300 UKP price?.
Or would a more cheaper chip box for a 100 UKP do the same job?

Regards
The spider is good because it has several different maps. It learns your engines fuelling and can tell if your planting the foot in a hurry or if your just cruising around. It will change to a more fuel friendly map for cruising and switch to an aggressive map when you boot it.

No matter how you drive you get a more responsive feel low down in the revs and the laggy take off is much improved.

I decided on the Spider based on many hours reading through many forums - especialy here and the Mercedes forums. I found in my research that I'd say about 90% of people who purchased were happy with the gains they could feel, but about 50% commented on how bad the customer support was after purchase. The 10% who were unhappy want more power which the Spider couldn't give OR they wanted better MPG which seams to be a hit or miss with any tuning box and depends heavily on driving style. Me I've seen no gains in MPG that I can mention. My MPG tends to vary more with the seasons!

If you just want a bit more poke without the laggy take off then the spider is great. If your looking for big power gains then I'd say a remap is the way to go. I've had a spider for a while now and I'm swapping over to a remap so will of course post my feelings about both when it's done. Won't be this year though :( got other things to pay for :)

1 - 20 of 91 Posts