Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I popped into a dealer yesterday to chat about a new car. Asked about chipping and he told me there was a chrysler chip approx. 1k gbp which raises the torque and hp which was covered within the warranty. obviously asked about different mods which are not covered by the warranty. My question however is

when phoning for insurance and they ask you if the car has been modified do they add much of a premium on if you tell them that it's got a performance enhancing chip? would it also effect any of the automated services such as congestion charge etc?

and if you don't tell them surely the insurance is invalidated? I know they're all obvious questions but this would be my first car where this kind of performance enhancement would be possible (shows you how poor i am :) )

·
Registered
504 Posts
I popped into a dealer yesterday to chat about a new car. Asked about chipping and he told me there was a chrysler chip approx. 1k gbp which raises the torque and hp which was covered within the warranty. obviously asked about different mods which are not covered by the warranty. My question however is

when phoning for insurance and they ask you if the car has been modified do they add much of a premium on if you tell them that it's got a performance enhancing chip? would it also effect any of the automated services such as congestion charge etc?

and if you don't tell them surely the insurance is invalidated? I know they're all obvious questions but this would be my first car where this kind of performance enhancement would be possible (shows you how poor i am :) )

Hi there 'BMEWS'...

The Startech SD6 performance enhancement chip which increases the bhp to 262 is the only such device authorised by Chrysler that will not affect the warranty terms and retails at around £1500 fitted.

Some insurance companies might refuse to insure a performance enhanced vehicle and the majority will increase the premium when you ask for a quote albeit premiums will fluctuate between insurance comapnies...you will have to shop around for the best quote. You are correct in your assumption that failure to disclose that such a device is fitted may well invalidate the policy.

I would not expect enhancing the bhp from 218 to 262 would effect aspects relevant to the automated services but I may stand to be corrected.

Derek S

·
Registered
347 Posts
my question would be :- why bother ?

the startech chip does very little to the 0-60 7.6 reducing to 7.2 and increases the top speed from 143 to 146 (where it is not usable).

when i looked into this it seemed a rip-off for little return to me, after all what is wrong with the stock car, at 7.6 sec the 0-60 is already awesome for a 2 ton diesel.

regards

elpirata

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
my question would be :- why bother ?

the startech chip does very little to the 0-60 7.6 reducing to 7.2 and increases the top speed from 143 to 146 (where it is not usable).

when i looked into this it seemed a rip-off for little return to me, after all what is wrong with the stock car, at 7.6 sec the 0-60 is already awesome for a 2 ton diesel.

regards

elpirata
Hi elpirata

ohhh I had and indeed have no plans to chip my ride :) i'm far too old for that malarky. More interested in perhaps increasing the fuel economy if possible which is now where the question of additives comes in. Are they recommended? I've noticed Stefan mention Milners? anyhow, as is usually the case, any comments much appreciated.

·
Registered
347 Posts
hi bmews,

hadnt really thought about the chipfrom the fuel economy point of view, if it can be improved, why dont they do it on the stock car ?

as for fuel additives i just put the regular tesco stuff in it, I am not sure i believe all the messing about with additives and more expensive fuels is worth it.

just my humble opinion please disregard

regards

elpirata

·
Premium Member
2019 Chrysler 300 SRT
2,097 Posts
Here's my take on it as i use both a chip and Millers, the 0-60 stated times are complete rubbish by Chrysler, a chipped CRD will do 60 in around 6 seconds, BUT it is the mid range pull that is vastly improved!

Millers makes my CRD run much smoother, I've been using it for years on old Land Rover diesel engines and it worked wonders.

Insurance, I went with bell insurance via gocompare.com, my renewal after declaring the tuning box, 20" alloys, Startech body kit and tinted windows was £7 a year more than my previous insurers and at £468 a year I thought was great.

As for supermarket fuels, you will never find me putting supermarket fuels in any car I own! I have a relative in the trade and supermarket fuels (from different sources) gave huge problems to their customers for running problems.

Stef

·
Premium Member
2019 Chrysler 300 SRT
2,097 Posts
There seems to be some mixed opinions about whether remaps can be detected or not. I was told that when the ECU is written to it changes a bit, kind of like a time stamp.

However, if you have a plug in tuning box that intercepts the signal between the ECU and the fuel rail, this cannot be detected once removed, it is of course highly visible when in place!

Whilst it may be easy enough to remove a plug in box prior to a visit to the dealer, the same cannot be said regarding the insurance assessor, especially if (heaven forbid) you are taken away to hospital following a car crash or something!

The only other issue with remapping is that it can be overwritten by an upgrade by the dealer.

Stef

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Insurance assesors probably won't take too much interest, unless there is a large 3rd party claim at stake. Don't forget that the 300C is fitted with a "black box" like this one: Driver in crash that paralysed girl was caught by 'black box' - Times Online
It will be interesting to see how this sort of technology progresses. I mean, it's possible to record everything for any given or indeed all journeys. How long before the dealer can access this information to provide a service regime appropriate for your kind of journey? And as for "mileage rectification", that could be a thing of the past too.

I don't think at this time I have a problem with a system that records such limited data for a limited duration and possibly one that records the car's activity for service reasons. Not sure however, I'd like the step after that which will co-ordinate with the sat nav and road charging to say where you've been, when you've been there etc....

We're already the most watched nation externally... heavens forbid we're the most watched in the last bastion of a private sanctuary.. "the car".

Al

·
Registered
9,851 Posts
I was told sometime about 18 months ago by some boffin I met (yawn,yawn)that chrysler do have a black box thing that records the last 20 seconds of every motion of the car.I did ask him if he could prove it with my "C",he said only Chrysler could.Mmmm,I wonder where this box is then??Know what I mean?

·
Premium Member
2019 Chrysler 300 SRT
2,097 Posts
I think it mentions that in the manual Ray, no idea where it is though, and I guess that seeing as aircraft 'black boxes' are normally orange, it could be any number of odd looking bits tucked away behind the panels!!

Stef

·
Registered
9,851 Posts
have you seen all the modules n boxes behind the front bumper?there's loads of them,all tucked behind the spotlights and in the supports n strengtheners,talk about grabbing you by the [email protected],I aint gotta clue what they do(until they break down)then its gonna cost.lol

·
Premium Member
2019 Chrysler 300 SRT
2,097 Posts
Yeah I'll bet, it's bad enough when you just take the stereo/sat nav unit out!

By the way, if we ever meet up, you are going to take me for a spin in your motor aren't you!

Stef

·
Registered
9,851 Posts
of course i will,unleash the "HEMI" with the predator,just hold on to your neck when it shifts gears.IT HURTS.lol.Its been updated since monday,85 in 2nd then bang,3rd and a cricked neck.It does 50 in 1st,85 in 2nd,I got to 120 in 3rd at 4500rpm(shifts at 6000)and ran out of road.God knows what it'll do,I'm taking it down santa Pod when the weather gets better and I've got some time

·
Premium Member
2,661 Posts
I was told sometime about 18 months ago by some boffin I met (yawn,yawn)that chrysler do have a black box thing that records the last 20 seconds of every motion of the car.I did ask him if he could prove it with my "C",he said only Chrysler could.Mmmm,I wonder where this box is then??Know what I mean?
Underneath the Drivers Seat, attached to the frame.

·
Registered
9,851 Posts
I've seen that box but the wiring goes to the seat somewhere and there are 2 unused plug outlets,I wonder what they are for??

·
Registered
9,851 Posts
or make that horrible fizzing sound followed by a "wumph" and you saying oh bollocks.lol

1 - 20 of 21 Posts