Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

The fuel economy aspect of chips attracts me but I do not want to invalidate my warranty. The Chrysler alternative is £1500 which is very heavy on price I feel.

My question is if any of you are using chips do you remove them when going in for a service, and if you do can they be detected that they have been on the car in any way?

If you would feel more comfortable, please PM me with your answers,

All replies welcome,

Steve.

·
Premium Member
2,661 Posts
After watching (& doing myself !) a chip replacement in my mates CRD, I can tell you that taking a Chip on/off leaves no trace whatsover.

BUT, if you were to do it repeatedly, then I imagine that some of the heat proof foam/ sound deadening insulation on the cylinder head (which needs to be gently bent back to access the common rail) may show some 'evidence' after a while - but that would be after many, many goes !

·
Registered
668 Posts
After watching (& doing myself !) a chip replacement in my mates CRD, I can tell you that taking a Chip on/off leaves no trace whatsover.

BUT, if you were to do it repeatedly, then I imagine that some of the heat proof foam/ sound deadening insulation on the cylinder head (which needs to be gently bent back to access the common rail) may show some 'evidence' after a while - but that would be after many, many goes !

Could you please explain this a little bit ???

·
Premium Member
2,661 Posts
Could you please explain this a little bit ???
its easier to show than explain !!!!!!

basically, once the plastic cover has come off, you need to gently lift the foamy sound proofing slightly to access the Common Rail connector (& to save your burning your fingers !), its a VERY easy job, but if it was done repeatedly, would show 'evidence' of use.

·
Premium Member
2019 Chrysler 300 SRT
2,097 Posts
Just to clarify this further for our overseas friends, we're talking about the CRD diesel model here and the most common form of chipping is a black box of electronics that plugs in between the wiring loom for the injector rail and and the physical injector rail itself. It delivers more fuel to the engine in line with specific parameters for each model.

As this is a plug in unit which theoretically doesn't interfere with the main ECU itself, once removed is undetectable.

The sound insulation on my particular CRD is very easy to remove/replace and as MTC says would take a lot of removal sessions before any wear was detected!

Stef

·
Registered
668 Posts
Just to clarify this further for our overseas friends, we're talking about the CRD diesel model here and the most common form of chipping is a black box of electronics that plugs in between the wiring loom for the injector rail and and the physical injector rail itself. It delivers more fuel to the engine in line with specific parameters for each model.

Stef
Thanks for the clarification Stefan, once I read the earlier post I made the connection :biggrin:

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi Guys,

Thanks for the replies so far, one little thing I did think about is would pulling fuse 11 have any benefit to those running with chips?

Again if you dont want to disclose using a chip PM me I am curious,

All replies welcome,

Steve.

·
Premium Member
2,661 Posts
Hi Guys,

Thanks for the replies so far, one little thing I did think about is would pulling fuse 11 have any benefit to those running with chips?

Again if you dont want to disclose using a chip PM me I am curious,

All replies welcome,

Steve.
Hi Steve

my mate tells me that it has exactly the same effect as on a non-chipped car i.e much more aggressive gear changes (until the gearbox memory starts slowing them down again !)

·
Premium Member
2019 Chrysler 300 SRT
2,097 Posts
Hi Steve,

I do the periodic fuse 11 jobbie and also the ignition II, wait for all lights to go out, slowly depress throttle all the way down and slowly back up, then ignition off and then start, that apparently does something to the throttle position too, I have noticed a difference when doing that on mine.

Stef

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hi Stefan & Murphy,

Thanks for the info, very interesting. I am very satisfied with the performance of my car already, but it was the fuel economy that attracted me really.

I think I will stay standard for the time being as I do not want to invalidate the warranty, but I really appreciate both of you giving me feedback,

thanks,

Steve.

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
"SDM197", the advantage of improvement in fuel consumption with a fitted "box" is minimal in everyday use, especially when one can't resist the temptation of a quick take off at the traffic light. However, it does show improvement with highway driving. The "box" itself has few adjustments which can be made to improve fuel consumption but many of us prefer performance and driveability over fuel consumption. As with the warranty, it really depends on the "relationship" of you and the dealer.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
it really depends on the "relationship" of you and the dealer.
Yeah I take your point, except that I believe any commercial organisation will wriggle out of paying for warranty work given any slight opportunity :twak:

So I will stay standard, interesting comments though. I just notice that another thread mentions that playing with the climate control can have a measurable effect on mpg too.

Thanks for the reply,

Steve.

·
Registered
841 Posts
think about it !

If you take your CRD in for a service & the 0-60 timer shows 4.3, then the dealer might guess its been chipped?
mind you.... Its bloody slippy on the ice, init ? :cool:

·
Administrator
23,436 Posts

·
Registered
9,851 Posts
I think it's just a matter of time before Chrysler wises up to things like this, especially the Predator. There's already a black box under the passenger seat, I guess the driver's seat for the UK. I don't think it would be much of a problem for them to build a software routine to catch this.

http://www.300cforums.com/forums/general-discussion/4730-black-boxes-big-brother.html

Bernie
ah but with the predator you can re-install the factory tune before it goes back to stealerships so they wouldnt have a clue,then re-install your "ballistic" mode back in when your car has been returned:arms:

·
Administrator
23,436 Posts
ah but with the predator you can re-install the factory tune before it goes back to stealerships so they wouldnt have a clue,then re-install your "ballistic" mode back in when your car has been returned:arms:
That's true, but who's to say what will come, or what could already be here. Take someone who has a lot of engine building mods and then adds the Predator and suddenly breaks a half shaft. Well, if the person was dishonest and has no qualms about making a fraudulent warranty claim, all he has to do now is load his stock tune and play dumb rather than own up and accept it as part of the game. It's unlikely as it stands his engine mods will be apparent...or is it???...humm!!!

Bernie

·
Registered
9,851 Posts
if its under warranty who cares,thats what we payed for when we bought the car,trust me the stealerships dont care as long as they get the work and they couldnt prove anything if its back to factory tune

·
Administrator
23,436 Posts
if its under warranty who cares,thats what we payed for when we bought the car,trust me the stealerships dont care as long as they get the work and they couldnt prove anything if its back to factory tune
Jeez, that's a pretty ridiclous statement right there. If they didn't care, why do you suppose there are so many complaints here on warranty denial? Claims don't stay at the dealer level and when Chrysler reviews them for pay out I'm kinda certain they care. If they don't buy a claim, who do you suppose they go after? Yep, the dealer for rembursement. Suddenly the dealer cares a whole lot.

Bernie

1 - 20 of 28 Posts