Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm sick of my 300C (2005) sounding like a Prius!

I've decided I need to make a bit more noise. But reading through the forums has me stumped as there a lot of options and the feedback seems to change over time! What's the best (entry level) way to go?

I need feedback from those smarter and more experienced than me in this sort of thing...so, should I:
a) Delete the resonators, add some tips and go...
b) Delete the suitcase, add some straight pipes (leaving the resonators) and go...

I live in New Zealand, so Cat Backs and other full system options are hugely expensive - and that's just the shipping!

I know there may be an issue with drone, but just how bad is it...??? and does it occur with both options?
I've read about x-overs in the suitcase causing issues - what does that even mean?

Confused, flummoxed and badly in need of help here... :confused:

Cheers for your thoughts

Priceasurus

·
Administrator
19,620 Posts
You still want some mufflers in there so I suggest you remove the stock muffler and replace it with two mufflers of your choice. Keep the resonators for now until the new mufflers burn in a bit. Then see how you like it.

To me, the drone of a 5.7L engine in MDS modes is one of the more obnoxious things I can ever remember hearing. Of course, there are folks out there that aren't bothered by it.

Forget about the suitcase (the stock dual in / dual out single case muffler) as that's the first thing you are gonna remove anyway.

If you leave the resonators, drone won't be a problem. If you remove them, you may eventually want to keep the car out of O/D or turn off MDS with a programmer.

·
Registered
899 Posts
i check a shop out today and they recommended an entry level (without splurging on new mufflers just yet) way to go

said they would leave the resonators, remove the suitcase and straight pipe from a little after the cat with 2.5" pipe

...quoted me $250 for this...how's that sounds price-wise?

·
Registered
43 Posts
i check a shop out today and they recommended an entry level (without splurging on new mufflers just yet) way to go

said they would leave the resonators, remove the suitcase and straight pipe from a little after the cat with 2.5" pipe

...quoted me $250 for this...how's that sounds price-wise?
Just had that done as well. My guy even mentioned it was his "first stage" recommendation. Said if it wasn't loud enough for me he'd go to stage 2 and do a custom job to give me the exact sound I want. (Claimed it would be cheaper and sound better than a pre-fab cat-back)

Cutting my suitcase off was $239USD including tax. I really, really like the way it sounds. It's nice and throaty, but not so loud as to make people say "f'in douchebag!" when you drive past.

MDS kicks in and the resonators keep the car quiet. Only drone is cruising right around 35-40 when the transmission is about to shift, and speeds above 60.

However, the drone is EASILY masked with your volume at 10...which is still quiet enough to hold a normal conversation with your passengers.

I was TERRIFIED that I had made the wrong decision to cut the suitcase off after I dropped the car off at the muffler shop...but as soon as I went to pick it up and he fired it up for me...oh man...big ol' sh*t eatin' grin that still hasn't left my face.

I remote start the car every morning, even when it's warm, JUST so I can hear that sucker fire up out in the driveway.

·
Registered
899 Posts
found a place that cut the suitcase for $100 cash and couldn't be happier. no drone, nice deep sound, pretty much exactly what i wanted to get from it.

but ya i was scared sh!tless thinking i was making a huge mistake LOL

·
Registered
43 Posts
found a place that cut the suitcase for $100 cash and couldn't be happier. no drone, nice deep sound, pretty much exactly what i wanted to get from it.

but ya i was scared sh!tless thinking i was making a huge mistake LOL
Nice, you got a hell of a deal there!

·
Registered
5 Posts
But the so called "resonators" are actually mufflers. They are chambered and reverse flow just like a muffler. And check out the diameter of the pipe used internal to the reso...you will be surprised....it is barely larger than a used paper towel roll. The entire exhaust comes down to maybe 1.75 inches at the resonator.

·
Registered
899 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So, you've deleted the big suitcase in the middle of the car and got straight pipes running from the CatConverters up the front to the Resonators at the rear?

Not too loud?
Big Grin? (I like that bit)
And the drone is acceptable? (Seems that the most drone is created when the rear resonators are deleted)

I think I may have my answer - shame though, I'd picked out some nice rolled 3" tips for it.... but now I'll just keep the originals.

Awesome :) *Big grin starting already*

·
Registered
43 Posts
It's the right amount of loud for someone who doesn't want to blub-blub-blub down the street, or be one of those jack-ass neighbors with a motorcycle that gooses it constantly.

·
Registered
899 Posts
So, you've deleted the big suitcase in the middle of the car and got straight pipes running from the CatConverters up the front to the Resonators at the rear?

Not too loud?
Big Grin? (I like that bit)
And the drone is acceptable? (Seems that the most drone is created when the rear resonators are deleted)

I think I may have my answer - shame though, I'd picked out some nice rolled 3" tips for it.... but now I'll just keep the originals.

Awesome :) *Big grin starting already*
i haven't noticed any drone at all and i've done some city and some highway driving...

i did a little vid, but i revved it kinda wierd for some reason lol still gives you a pretty good idea tho

·
Registered
53 Posts
i got my suitcase cut off the whole blastin bob thing seemed stupid to me. sounds good, but a little quiet. i got mine done for $50 bucks. i just hate lookin at those ugly resonators with those limp **** like tips

·
Registered
899 Posts
sounds great!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well.... the suitcase has gone, and what a difference... problem is, I'm not sure if it's good or not!

It's louder (much louder). It sounds pretty good at idle, awesome at WOT, but not convinced with the noise when driving around town. I may have to leave it for a few days to see if it grows on me, after all, it is all very new and different from the Prius Sounds it used to make, so maybe it'll grow on me.

I do know it's a simple delete as opposed to a tuned exhaust, but......

Has anyone else gone back to standard after doing a suitcase delete? Any tales of woe :)

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Once again, my car sounds like a Prius - I've put the suitcase back in place.... and I'm glad to have it back!!!

It sounded exactly like what it was - a car with a missing muffler. It was a loud sound, but not a good one. The exhaust volume levels inside were pretty bad. I was light-footing it around town all the time as I didn't want to have people looking at where the tractor noises were coming from :(

My partner wasn't even phased when I told her I chopped the suitcase out to make it sound a bit more like a V8 - she even smiled about it - till she heard it, then she just shook her head and called me a ****! :)

Never mind, nothing ventured, nothing gained.... time for the next project :)

·
Registered
43 Posts
To each his own I guess. I love the way mine sounds.

Sounded more like a Prius with the muffler on...dunno what they did to yours to make it sound like that with the suitcase off :confused:

·
Registered
8 Posts
i had them cut my suitcase muffler off and run straight pipes.and just left the resonators on. Its a little louder but going down the freeway i can barely hear my car unless i give it gas. O yah i also have the AFE stage 2 cai installed.
im actually thinking about removing the resonators and putting on some louder mufflers in the back.
like someone said .. to some ppl its annoying and to others it sounds great....
even in MDS mode right now. it still seems so quiet..i have no problems talking to ppl at all.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts