Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I saw someone else post that they had issues with the chrome coming off their 300C rims. I am starting to notice the same issue. Is this something that is covered by Chrysler? Or am I S.O.L?

·
Registered
10 Posts
any way to prevent it?

It would also be good to know if there is any way to stop the "flaking"/chrome coming off and protect the chrome OEM rims finish... You cant keep replacing rims, its better to know how to maintain them.

Anyone have a good idea? What do you do to maintain the OEM 18" chrome rims finish?

·
Registered
666 Posts
I see your car is a 05 you are out of waranaty and out of luck, I already tried to get new rims with no luck

the lip chrome on all 4 of my rims is gone, I sanded the lips smooth with fine sand paper than used a polish on them, look much better but not like new,

some guys have painted the lips

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I see your car is a 05 you are out of waranaty and out of luck, I already tried to get new rims with no luck

the lip chrome on all 4 of my rims is gone, I sanded the lips smooth with fine sand paper than used a polish on them, look much better but not like new,

some guys have painted the lips

Thats not a bad idea actually. Any idea on color people would use?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Depending on the color of your car, you could go with that color. I have the satin jade pearl. I'm looking at having come rims I just bought the same color. First I'm going to mount some black rims I picked up cheep.

·
Registered
631 Posts
This is a design flaw in the rims, I had mine replaced under warranty once, but only after arguing with the dealer. He had to go to the regional rep in order to get them replaced. I have now mounted my snowtires on my original rims and bought nicer rims for the warmer months. My replaced rims are now showing the same problem. I haven't heard of this problem in a couple of years, I don't know if 06 and up uses a different design or if the same problems have been reported. Some people say using a wax on the lip has helped with the problem, I know here in the NE with all the road salt used it probably would only delay the ineviatable.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I noticed the aluminum lip on the wheels of my wifes 300 have a corroding or pitting condition occurring. Can the "chrome cladding" be removed from the wheel? I thought if it could, then I would have the rims clear coated, then put the chrome cladding back on. Then I would have the wheels balanced with the wheel weights on the backside of the rim.
I'm going to stop in at the dealer to see if this is still covered by our warranty.
If I can get them replaced, I'll probably look into buying some summer
wheels as well.

·
Registered
435 Posts
I haven't had any problems with my wheels, except that while taking my intoxicated brother home one night he woke up from his drunken slumber yelled "turn here" grabbed my wheel made me jump over a curb on the service road (going about 60-ish) almost ran into a street light and then he peacefully went back to sleep...Well I started yelling at my unconscious brother about how he just made me get a flat, I pull over and see a very much broken wheel and on cracked (but still sem-functional) one... bot passenger side wheel need replacing, I'm getting new (aftermarket) wheels all the way around now but still, was not planning this expense at this time...
But if it helps, I am selling the remaining 2 oem 18 chrome wheels, no pits, marks, scratches or rust on them... so if any one is up for them just pm me.

·
Administrator
23,437 Posts
There are many people on this board who've had their wheels replaced under warranty for this pitting. Some with no problems at all, others with a great deal of difficulty and perserverance. If you're out of warranty you won't get anywhere unfortunately.

Bernie

·
Banned
65 Posts
I had mine replaced, but it was under the original warranty.

I still can't understand how Chrysler gets away with half the stuff they do...

This is a well known, well documented issue with these wheels, yet they tell you to get lost if you are out of warranty... How nice of them!

I think Chrysler hopes and prays every night that people that own their vehicles don't have access to the internet... Owners would all think it is their own fault when really it is just a JUNKY CAR!

·
Registered
271 Posts
correct me if im wrong, but it looks like my 05c has a fake chrome cover almost like a hub cap. and not a fully solid chrome wheel cuz its just the lil outer lip thats getting nasty

·
Banned
1,411 Posts
correct me if im wrong, but it looks like my 05c has a fake chrome cover almost like a hub cap. and not a fully solid chrome wheel cuz its just the lil outer lip thats getting nasty
Yes, the outer lip is not chrome cladded and it is what corrodes.

The chrome-cladded center portion never corrodes.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have an 07 300C that I purchased at the end of December. All four wheels and my Mopar grill are all corroding already (less than three months). The chrome wheels are pitted, and the grill is discolored. The dealer has agreed to replace the wheels and grill one time only.

Once I get the new wheels and grill, how can I prevent them from corroding again?

·
Registered
52 Posts
I went to the local dealership today.
I showed the service manager the wheels on my wifes car.
Its got 22,000 mi. and the outer lip of the wheels have the corrosion or pitting condition. The service manager told me they would replace
the wheels one time only. I know there just gonna pit and corrode like the ones I have on the car now. :thumbsdow I wish Chrysler would do something. They've gotta be losing money replacing wheels all the time.

·
Premium Member
2,691 Posts
I had mine replaced, but it was under the original warranty.

I still can't understand how Chrysler gets away with half the stuff they do...

This is a well known, well documented issue with these wheels, yet they tell you to get lost if you are out of warranty... How nice of them!

I think Chrysler hopes and prays every night that people that own their vehicles don't have access to the internet... Owners would all think it is their own fault when really it is just a JUNKY CAR!

And do you think Chrysler is THE ONLY one who does these sort of things? Most car manufacturers do not want to deal with you. As nice as the 300 is.. It didn't cost what my Corvette cost me and when I picked up my brand new Vette it had the forged QF-5 rim option (polished and clear powdercoated) and there were buffing "burn marks" clear powder coated right over. When I got on the phone with a regional rep he said and I quote "Do the wheels roll?" to which I replied "Yes they roll" and his response was "Then there is no issue.. We do not warrant "cosmetics"

So there ya have it..

And now to explain "why" the chrome clad wheels corrode.

If you are not aware of it, your chrome clad wheels are actually a rough cast aluminum wheel with a machined "lip" which is then clearcoated and a chrome plated cladding (think hubcap) is glued over the rim. The problem stems from the cladding fitting tightly against the lip and when the rims flex (and they do, all the time..) the chrome cladded hubcap rubs the clear off the rim lip, thereby exposing raw aluminum to salt and the environment in general.

The only "cure" would be to stop production of these rims. Or replace them with the silver finish alloy 18" rims or buy aftermarket rims.

·
Registered
52 Posts
And now to explain "why" the chrome clad wheels corrode.

If you are not aware of it, your chrome clad wheels are actually a rough cast aluminum wheel with a machined "lip" which is then clearcoated and a chrome plated cladding (think hubcap) is glued over the rim. The problem stems from the cladding fitting tightly against the lip and when the rims flex (and they do, all the time..) the chrome cladded hubcap rubs the clear off the rim lip, thereby exposing raw aluminum to salt and the environment in general.
If this is the case, then why not make the outer diameter of the "chrome cladding" 1/32" of an in. smaller so when the rim "flexes"
the chrome cladding won't rub off the clear coat. :pat:

·
Premium Member
2,691 Posts
*shrugs* I guess that's why I'm not a paid engineer, because I make sense...

:)

·
Registered
144 Posts
Just had my car detailed yesterday and noticed the clearcoat bubbling up on the lips of the rims. Some spots are almost an inch and a half. The face of the rim itself still looks fine. I might just drag it out, then buy aftermarket rims later on. I'm out of the basic warranty but still have a Maximum Care and a Certified Used Warranty. Neither cover body parts and I don't think it's worth starting a battle with the dealership. Seeing that NO ONE has won that!

Correct me if I'm wrong people!!

·
Registered
52 Posts
I went to the dealer on Tues. 4-8-08 and showed the Service Manager the wheels on my wifes car. He told me they would replace them, but it was a "one time deal". We're dropping the car off 4-14 to have them replaced. The car has approx. 22,000 miles on it.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts