Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

WHCIH GRILL TYPE

chrome plated grill vs. solid polished aluminum grill

3K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  FreebirdSRT 
#1 ·
chrome plated grill vs. solid polished aluminum grill?

T-Rex Hybrid 300c Grill Chrome for $500 or Solid Polished Aluminum for $400

Anybody have thoughts the durablilty of both grills or chrome vs solid polished aluminum in general? i.e. scratching, weathering, maintenance, ect.....

Need to make a decision and thought I could use soem help from the 300c Guys/Gals

Luke

#5 · (Edited)
tjonathan said:
Chrome, without a doubt. It retains it's bright finish for years and requires little maintenace.
Chrome does indeed keep it's shine. Chrome is a plating that is on top of the grille (layer) and is prone to pitting, in time, from road debris and rocks/stones. After awhile, when the pitting has gotten bad, have it re-chromed.The polised AL will not have the same shine as the chrome. You will have to work harder to keep its shine, but on an upside will take the abuse of being on the front end of the car (road debris/rocks/stones) better than the chrome finish will. Here is the way I would do it, If I were in this situation. Buy the polished AL one, it is cheaper on your pocket book now. Install it, drive your car for a bit, see how hard it is to keep the shine, how it holds up to the road conditions (rocks, stones, etc.) If you are not happy with it. Remove the grille and have it chromed. It will hit your pocket book a little more for the chroming then, but you will have personallly been able to try both finishes and only buy one grille.
I am painting my front grille and will have to add a good bit of flexing agent to my paint mix to help reduce/protect the paint from rock/stone/road debris, etc. In time though, I will have to pull it off and re-shoot the grille in paint again. The flexing agent will last longer and I won't have to re-shoot the grille as often.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.