Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am really pissed off, put a scatch in the chrome of the rear bumper lifting a bag out of the boot, turned out it had a metal foot and made contact on the way down.

what is worse I was trying not to scratch it at the time!

anyone know how I can repair it, or anyone that will come to me or I can go to, who can do it without removing the bumper ?

regards

elpirata

·
Registered
448 Posts
I am really pissed off, put a scatch in the chrome of the rear bumper lifting a bag out of the boot, turned out it had a metal foot and made contact on the way down.
Depends how deep the scratch is - I had some surface scratches on mine, and they disappeared with normal car polish.

·
Premium Member
2,241 Posts
You could try Solvo Autosol which comes in a tube - or just T-Cut then polish - but if it has any depth the only way to fix it is to replace it or have it polished out and re-chromed. My heart bleeds for you!!!!!
Cheers John

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Just and watson, thanks for replies

unfortunately it is deep enough not to polish out, I have found a chrome paint which I thought I might try which costs £35+vat for 100ml, which looks quite good and thought it might be possible to fill the scratch with it.

here at Chrome Paints

but not sure if it has any chance to work and also not sure whether the virtual chrome or black chrome would be better.

what do you think ?

Or the chrome strip looks like it will come off, I bet its a push fit, what are the chances of being able to buy a new strip and for it to have its own part number? am I dreaming

regards

elpirata

·
Registered
841 Posts
I wouldn't use chrome cleaner, its far too abrasive. I'd guess its just chrome effect plastic anyway. Best to just visit the dealer & seek their advice, You never know they might just be able to get the strip replaced for you.
Good luck !

·
Registered
38 Posts
There is a set of chrome bumper pieces on Ebay for £99, item number 160232027688, which looks like it contains the trim that's scratched.

Cheers

Kevin

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks guys, I think I will try my luck with the dealer and if that doesnt work, go the ebay route, but to do nothing with my OCD is not an option :)

cheers

elpirata

·
Registered
176 Posts
I'm seeing in the 2006 US parts list for Chrysler 300C saloon car.
Item 8 part number 4805 940AA STRIP, Rear Fascia, Bright

I would hazard a guess that it's stuck on with 3M Automotive tape. Other forum readers will give advice on removing it. My own thought is to go with your own idea of putting something on the scratch, or seeking advice from the service agent.
G.

·
Registered
133 Posts
hi scratched the front one under the head light ..cost £87 + £100 to fit it bumper off job ouch!!!!!!!:pat: :pat: :pat:

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
hey zippy,

I will go and and experience "stand and deliver" in the morning, I bet its about £200 + Vat + fitting

as you said "ouch", I cant bear not to get it fixed, my OCD has really got me down about it today :(

regards

elpirata

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
well I couldnt bear it any more ordered new trim and it was £86 +vat + fitting.

which I thought wasnt too bad really !

regards

elpirata

·
Premium Member
2,241 Posts
I bet that is the last time you EVER drag anything out of the boot again. In future it will be all powerlifts!! Could have been worse in price I suppose - are you fitting it yourself or does that price include fitting?
Cheers John

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
hey mr watson,

you are right olympic powerlifting from now on, fitting extra and they thought it would be a bumper off job as there are apparently 5 spring clips holding it on.

parts guy told me that in the UK already 114 of these trims have been sold as aftermarket replacements, which I thought was a lot given how many cars there are, but they hadnt replaced one themselves until now.

regards

elpirata

·
Registered
176 Posts
Sorry about your tribulations and thanks for the valuable feedback that we can now act on to avoid the same.
I will prepare a dummy carpet in the back of my car, just like in my last car, that I can pull out a foot to protect the chrome.
G.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts