Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
In a separate thread awhile ago, I had noted that my dealer had received an 'SRT-8' in 'PXR' for one of their other customers. When I finally arrived to look (okay, 'gawk') at it, the wheels had been sent out to be chromed per their customer's request. Fortunately today, when I visited my dealer to check on the status of some mods that they were doing for me (in conjunction with my body/paint shop), that same 'SRT-8' was also there. Attached are some photos of the chromed OEM wheels. IMO, they certainly turned-out well and are aesthetically pleasing to the eye...looks sharp. :cool:

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
stang said:
Nice lookin' wheels!! Where do you go to get them chromed?!!! :cool:
I'm not sure where these were done (a trade secret I guess), but here's a place I believe I had overheard one of them mention once before. I'm sure that there are similar type businesses located throughout the country and possibly closer to your particular area. ;)

http://www.chrometechwheels.com/

·
Registered
124 Posts

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hey folks, thanks for all of the additional info. I knew that this post (with photos) would get some attention, as these wheels look even better in person. My dealer said that they cost about $700 (for the set) to be chromed, so I'll wait and see how the stock clear-coated wheels look on my car before I eventually decide to possibly have them chromed for me as well....notice my updated signature? :cool:

·
Registered
61 Posts
Be careful

By my past experience, you should ask around about the chroming shops around your area if you choose them. A lot of them will cut corners, like only one layer of chrome, just to give you a good price. With one layer, it will look good, but in time, average of a year, you'll figure that and regret it. If your area has bad weather, then give it less than a year to chip off. Bye the way, can those wheels be polished chrome instead?

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
JDoubleU529 said:
By my past experience, you should ask around about the chroming shops around your area if you choose them. A lot of them will cut corners, like only one layer of chrome, just to give you a good price. With one layer, it will look good, but in time, average of a year, you'll figure that and regret it. If your area has bad weather, then give it less than a year to chip off. Bye the way, can those wheels be polished chrome instead?
Unfortunately no, as they only come one way from Mopar...polished aluminum with a clear-coat finish. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
61 Posts
huh

Mr.DJ said:
Unfortunately no, as they only come one way from Mopar...polished aluminum with a clear-coat finish. :rolleyes:
I know that they come in only polished dull aluminum w/clear coat, still looks good though, but I thought you could polish aluminum into a chrome like finish. Just like what I did to my aluminum spark plug cover on my privious car.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
JDoubleU529 said:
I know that they come in only polished dull aluminum w/clear coat, still looks good though, but I thought you could polish aluminum into a chrome like finish. Just like what I did to my aluminum spark plug cover on my privious car.
It just might be a possibility, as I've also had this done to the aluminum heads of one of my 'muscles cars' before. Actually, I also looked (in person) at the stock version of these wheels before ordering my set this morning, and they're not as dull-looking as one might tend to believe. :cool:

·
Registered
61 Posts
I meant it another way.

Mr.DJ said:
It just might be a possibility, as I've also had this done to the aluminum heads of one of my 'muscles cars' before. Actually, I also looked (in person) at the stock version of these wheels before ordering my set this morning, and they're not as dull-looking as one might tend to believe. :cool:
When I said dull I didn't mean dull in a bad way.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
JDoubleU529 said:
When I said dull I didn't mean dull in a bad way.
It didn't even cross my mind that you did. I was just pointing out the fact that these wheels have actually a shiner finish than most wheels I've seen throughout my many former years in the tire business...and I've seen a lot of wheels in my time. ;)

·
Registered
158 Posts
Hey roaringmouse, thanks for the info man,it'll come in handy,cause I think these wheels look Hott chromed out!!!! :cool:

·
Registered
158 Posts
Mr.DJ said:
Hey folks, thanks for all of the additional info. I knew that this post (with photos) would get some attention, as these wheels look even better in person. My dealer said that they cost about $700 (for the set) to be chromed, so I'll wait and see how the stock clear-coated wheels look on my car before I eventually decide to possibly have them chromed for me as well....notice my updated signature? :cool:
Hey DJ,Are You saying, you can get these done through a dealer?!! Is that true?!! Cause if it is,I'm calling my dealer today to see if I can get them done :cool:

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have not yet polished my SRT rims, however I do have high polished aluminum wheels on my CLK. I am a huge chrome fan but I have to say that the high polish looks virtually identical to chrome and is obviously much more durable

·
Premium Member
4,071 Posts
I like chrome don't get me wrong, but why would you with all the pitting problems to come down the road.

I say buff the clear coat off and polish the feck out of them. You'll barely notice the difference you'll be able to maintain them.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
stang said:
Hey DJ,Are You saying, you can get these done through a dealer?!! Is that true?!! Cause if it is,I'm calling my dealer today to see if I can get them done :cool:
Stang,

I'm unsure about all Chrysler dealers, but my dealership will have mine chromed for me if I give them the word...I'm still debating. Fortunately, we've had an excellent business relationship so far, and everybody there has been extremely helpful...guess I'm one of the lucky ones. I actually like the look of polished aluminum, so I'll probably leave them just the way they came. :)

·
Registered
63 Posts
Most dealerships will have some vendor that does it. Where ever the dealership gets its aftermarket wheels (California Concepts, etc.) will either do it, or know who does it. You can also cut out the middle man by having it done yourself. Beware that this process may need to be redone periodically, check with the vendor. Also remember that chrome wheels are totally played out. ( IMO :) )
If you really want to roll with style, have those things powercoated in black. Cleeeeann.
RT

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
So, has anybody else had their 'SRT-8' OEM wheels chromed yet? I had the chance to see this 'SRT-8' again, and I must say, that not only do the wheels look great chromed, but that the the chroming job itself appears to have been done extremely well. :cool:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts