Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good afternoon, I have 2013 Chrysler 300 SRT-8 and was driving down the road when the Lightning bolt slashed on and the check engine light came on ,and I Lost all power. I Took the car to the dealership and they did a Diagnostic. They said that some Pistons were misfiring, some other stuff is wrong. bottom line they told me that I needed a new engine and it’s about $8000. I have CarShield so I hope They are as good As their commercial, has anyone else had this problem with their 300 SRT8?.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Good afternoon, I have 2013 Chrysler 300 SRT-8 and was driving down the road when the Lightning bolt slashed on and the check engine light came on ,and I Lost all power. I Took the car to the dealership and they did a Diagnostic. They said that some Pistons were misfiring, some other stuff is wrong. bottom line they told me that I needed a new engine and it’s about $8000. I have CarShield so I hope They are as good As their commercial, has anyone else had this problem with their 300 SRT8?.
Your description is severely lacking. "Pistons were misfiring, some other stuff is wrong". Hmmm....

·
Registered
874 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Sorry, I just found your thread and hope you haven't been ripped off. Sounds like a problem with the Electronic Throttle Control (ETC).....not the whole engine. I'd recommend you don't bite on the new engine as, if it was running fine when it lost power, it for sure isn't the entire engine. Besides, the SRT engines are nearly bulletproof unless you run it out of oil.

Bottom line, find a REAL mechanic that knows Hemi's and have it properly diagnosed BEFORE you commit to a new engine. This does not sound like a serious problem. There are four major components to the ETC. They are the Front Control Module (FCM), the Throttle Body (TB), the Throttle Position Sensor (TPS) and the Powertrain Control Module (PCM). From your description, the problem sounds like it MAY Be one of these components and/or the wiring/plugs between them. If you can get hold of the Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTC), post them here and we'll try to help. There will for sure be active DTC's and, FYI, they will be alph-numeric five digit codes, probably beginning with either a P (which means something in the Powertrain) or U (which means something to do with Communication between components), and then followed by 4 numbers.
Examples: P0121 indicates, "Throttle Position Sensor 1 Performance"
U0141 indicates, "Lost Communication with Front Control Module"

Again, hopefully you haven't already committed to a new engine. Let us know what you find out.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Sorry, I just found your thread and hope you haven't been ripped off. Sounds like a problem with the Electronic Throttle Control (ETC).....not the whole engine. I'd recommend you don't bite on the new engine as, if it was running fine when it lost power, it for sure isn't the entire engine. Besides, the SRT engines are nearly bulletproof unless you run it out of oil.

Bottom line, find a REAL mechanic that knows Hemi's and have it properly diagnosed BEFORE you commit to a new engine. This does not sound like a serious problem. There are four major components to the ETC. They are the Front Control Module (FCM), the Throttle Body (TB), the Throttle Position Sensor (TPS) and the Powertrain Control Module (PCM). From your description, the problem sounds like it MAY Be one of these components and/or the wiring/plugs between them. If you can get hold of the Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTC), post them here and we'll try to help. There will for sure be active DTC's and, FYI, they will be alph-numeric five digit codes, probably beginning with either a P (which means something in the Powertrain) or U (which means something to do with Communication between components), and then followed by 4 numbers.
Examples: P0121 indicates, "Throttle Position Sensor 1 Performance"
U0141 indicates, "Lost Communication with Front Control Module"

Again, hopefully you haven't already committed to a new engine. Let us know what you find out.
I doubt the OP comprehends anything you posted.....

·
Registered
143 Posts
Out of fairness and sheer physical evidence.......I have seen MANY other first-time posters (or bots) that can't even spell words or put together sentences. At least this person knows how to put thoughts together within the English language in a manner that is mostly understandable.

I still believe that the dealership techs should only be able to view the codes that relate to simple fixes. They can't figure out the more complicated ones without the customer spending 10's of thousands of dollars first.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Out of fairness and sheer physical evidence.......I have seen MANY other first-time posters (or bots) that can't even spell words or put together sentences. At least this person knows how to put thoughts together within the English language in a manner that is mostly understandable.

I still believe that the dealership techs should only be able to view the codes that relate to simple fixes. They can't figure out the more complicated ones without the customer spending 10's of thousands of dollars first.
The OP's 'script' balanced by realities. I seriously doubt anyone qualified at much of anything has looked at or attempted to diagnose the car. May very well be a 'one hit wonder'. Sometimes I think these and similar posts are from ill qualified 'techs'(?) at whatever 'shade tree' shop looking for free advice. Trying to figure out what to load their 'parts cannon' with....

Tire Wheel Cannon Plant Tree

·
Registered
874 Posts
This gent is like a lot of rookie posters that are just trying to get a grasp on what could be happening to their "baby". Many, if not most, are not gearheads and don't want to be. In a lot of cases, they just want to be enlightened a bit and know if they're getting shafted by one of the multitude of ripoff shops/dealers.

It's been a little over a month since his original post and he may or may not show up again. I tried to simplify some of the stuff so he gets an idea what we're looking for so we can try to help him. I am just hoping that he doesn't get ripped off like so many have on these forums. Time will tell.

·
Registered
100 Posts
This gent is like a lot of rookie posters that are just trying to get a grasp on what could be happening to their "baby". Many, if not most, are not gearheads and don't want to be. In a lot of cases, they just want to be enlightened a bit and know if they're getting shafted by one of the multitude of ripoff shops/dealers.

It's been a little over a month since his original post and he may or may not show up again. I tried to simplify some of the stuff so he gets an idea what we're looking for so we can try to help him. I am just hoping that he doesn't get ripped off like so many have on these forums. Time will tell.
I admire your optimism. :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts