Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went from a 2013 300 base model to a 2020 300C. The ride is noticeably firmer probably because of the low profile tires (245/45/20). I do not want to give up the 20” wheels which look fantastic on the car, so what can I do to soften the ride? The 300C comes with Firestone Firehawk GT tires. Rated poorly by Tire Rack for ride comfort and noise, wet traction, and hydroplaning.

·
Registered
342 Posts
I went from a 2013 300 base model to a 2020 300C. The ride is noticeably firmer probably because of the low profile tires (245/45/20). I do not want to give up the 20” wheels which look fantastic on the car, so what can I do to soften the ride? The 300C comes with Firestone Firehawk GT tires. Rated poorly by Tire Rack for ride comfort and noise, wet traction, and hydroplaning.
You can get bigger tires to fit your 20" rims which will help but it may throw off your speedometer. Also depends on the brand of tires you have. You may get away with just switching tires. Good luck

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2014 CRD
1,490 Posts
Be careful trying to fit tires with higher sidewalls, there's a steering knuckle which is close to the front tire and stops you fitting bigger tires. There are members who have fitted 255/45's if you search the forum, those have a sidewall that's 4.5mm (~4%) taller

I think you don't have a lot of choice other than going for a different tire brand

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Be careful trying to fit tires with higher sidewalls, there's a steering knuckle which is close to the front tire and stops you fitting bigger tires. There are members who have fitted 255/45's if you search the forum, those have a sidewall that's 4.5mm (~4%) taller

I think you don't have a lot of choice other than going for a different tire brand
The dealer tells me the only difference between the Touring and 300C suspensions is the springs. How much improvement in the ride (softer) could I expect from replacing the 300C springs with Touring springs? Could I just replace the rear springs?

·
Registered
174 Posts
The dealer tells me the only difference between the Touring and 300C suspensions is the springs. How much improvement in the ride (softer) could I expect from replacing the 300C springs with Touring springs? Could I just replace the rear springs?
That makes zero sense, the car isn't any lighter. There might be a difference in the shocks but not the springs.

To my thinking you have options, but touring springs isn't one of them. In order of cost I guess....
1. Experiment with tire pressure, that one's free.
2. Tires, some tires of of the same size ride much better, You also may be able to go a little taller and skinnier, that'd help.
3. Shocks, shocks are a huge part of ride quality, the difficulty would be in finding some that actually are softer without having to pay out for adjustables.
4. Put it on air ride, there's kits out there to convert to air ride, it's plenty soft with the right shocks, big bucks though.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That makes zero sense, the car isn't any lighter. There might be a difference in the shocks but not the springs.

To my thinking you have options, but touring springs isn't one of them. In order of cost I guess....
2. Tires, some tires of of the same size ride much better, You also may be able to go a little taller and skinnier, that'd help.
3. Shocks, shocks are a huge part of ride quality, the difficulty would be in finding some that actually are softer without having to pay out for adjustables.
4. Put it on air ride, there's kits out there to convert to air ride, it's plenty soft with the right shocks, big bucks though.
If I have to, I could go to 18” wheels and 225/60/18 tires.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Of course you could go down in wheel size, but you said you didn't want to. If so 19" wheels might be a good compromise.

I'm not sure a C has stiffer shocks than a touring to begin with. That's something you should research, start by looking to see if they have the same part number.

Shocks v tires, it's all accumulative as far as ride comfort goes.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

Do you think I’d notice any difference in the ride if I went to 245/50/20 tires?

·
Registered
174 Posts
Do you think I’d notice any difference in the ride if I went to 245/50/20 tires?
I think tire make and model matters more than such a small size change. I also think it'd be a very tight fit, the upper ball joint stud is very close to the tire. A larger diameter may not clear.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Continental tires. Best ride/handling I've ever had. Currently on the PureContacts, but I also like the ExtremeContacts.

·
Registered
641 Posts
Had those Contis...very nice. Currently upgraded to Pirelii P Zero A/S + for improved handling and wet traction. Love them. I was concerned about rougher ride and they indeed are not quite as soft as the PureContact. But a great compromise between ride, handling, and wet traction (which is my new benchmark for safety). All that and a very minimal upcharge from the Contis at only about $13 per tire. I highly recommend the Pirelli’s.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Had those Contis...very nice. Currently upgraded to Pirelii P Zero A/S + for improved handling and wet traction. Love them. I was concerned about rougher ride and they indeed are not quite as soft as the PureContact. But a great compromise between ride, handling, and wet traction (which is my new benchmark for safety). All that and a very minimal upcharge from the Contis at only about $13 per tire. I highly recommend the Pirelli’s.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
The PIRELLI
CINTURATO P7 ALL SEASON PLUS II tires get rave reviews on Tire Rack.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts