Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, I want to clean my 2005 engine bay because it isn't looking to pretty after 180,000 miles of never being cleaned. I've read many threads and posts on how to clean it. I have one big question. Hose it down or don't hose it down?? I have seen many for both sides but I am just paranoid the water might mess up the engine. Any thoughts? Thanks!

·
Registered
640 Posts
I have washed mine a couple of times in seven years. I just soap it and powerwash it, then I dry it thoroughy with my blaster. After it's dry I start the car and let it warm up for a while. I have never had any problems. I am careful not to jet the alternator etc.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I use a low pressure garden hose with a nozzle on it to get it wet, then use an old rag/microfiber cloth with car was soap to go over the engine with. After that, another low pressure rinse and dry. Never had an issue with water getting anywhere it wasn't supposed to.

·
Premium Member
8,414 Posts
Hand detail mine myself but then again I don't let it get too dirty so not too much is needed to keep mine clean other than a wet towel and a dry one with a bottle of detailing spray.

·
Premium Member
4,946 Posts
I do mine by hand too and use combination of hot damp towel and a detailer. Its hard work if not done regularly :yup:

·
Registered
738 Posts
This is an old detailer's trick that I've been using for years. First I spray the engine bay, top to bottom, with Gunk engine degreaser. If the engine is really dirty I will use a plastic bristle brush like you use for tire rims to scrub the nastier parts. I then follow up with a pressure washer. I've been steam cleaning and pressure washing engines for years and never had a problem, but them I use a little common sense as to where I blast high pressure water. Your mileage may vary. Anyways, once the engine is clean I use a leaf blower to dry the engine off. Next spray down the engine compartment with foaming tire shine and close the hood. Come back and take a look in about 2 hours - engine will look as good as the day it left the dealership.

FYI, this is an old engine detailing trick that has been around for years. Google "engine bay detailing tire spray" if you don't believe it. I'm sure some internet "sage" will chime in with how they ruined an engine using a pressure washer but if you can't tell the PCV valve from the ECU then maybe you should leave everything under the hood to your dealer. :sgrin:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts