Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've noticed a strange operation of the climate control system. When the control is in the vent position(not automatic), the a/c comes on when the car is started, even if it was not on when the car was last turned off. Has anyone else noticed this or is it an electrical bug?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
76 Posts
probably an electrical bug......my ac resets once in a while after turning the car off. One of many, many,many problems I am having with my c. As we speak the regional rep from Chrysler is looking at my car trying to fix the right pull issue. If they cannot fix it I get a new one.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
61 Posts
Hmmm...

In Florida naturally the climate control stays on. One day I got no cold air
and took it back to the dealer. Service guy says, "the A/C button wasn't pushed". Felt like a chump until I noticed over the next few days that the
button now had to be pushed each time to get the air working. Then it reverted back to working the way it is supposed to, no button required.
Many of the glitches with the car are electronic in nature, most explainable
if you read the manual, but a few not.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,719 Posts
My ac initially turned off everytime I turned the car off, then my buddy who had a recent Jeep told me to leave it on auto and the AC comes on when appropriate but the ac light does not illuminate in auto mode. After turning off the auto, the ac would then come on whenever I started the car which it never did before going to auto. Over a week or two I fiddled and now it is as new, car off =ac off which must be manually turned on unless in auto. I doubt this is a electrical problem I did not re read the climate section in the manual, If yoy have followed the manual closely then you indeed may have a problem.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
365 Posts
For some reason, some persons were taught to return their heater/AC controls to OFF before shutting down the car. I have never done that and never had any problems.

On every <auto> climate control car I have owned including this one, I simply set it and forget it, likewise. Never have had a problem. Auto control is designed to maintain whatever temperature you want -- this one now has two such controls in front.

By leaving the system on, the compressor runs as needed, when needed, and heat is blended into the system likewise when needed. This also keeps the refrigerant circulating and the compressor seals functioning. This LX also provides the driver with either high or low auto air circulation; difference, accoring to the manual, is that the latter should be used normally with the former used primarly when carrying back seat passengers, also.

In the past 3 LH bodies, there was never climate failure; nor do I expect one on this LX car. It just never gets turned off; just adjust the temperature level as needed.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
170 Posts
I think that if in "auto" mode and then you set the "memory," it'll remember whatever the setting that the "auto" decided was required. I have had mine change depending on when I "memorized" my settings and the time of day. Living in the pacific northwest, we still have high 50s some nights.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
113 Posts
I agree with everything Mileshoover said. The last several cars I've owned from Lincoln, Caddy, Rolls, Bentley, Mercedes, Ford, all had automatic climate control. Set it once and forget about it. Always got a kick out of the folks in the winter who would turn it up to 90 degrees when they first got in, like that would cause it to heat to the desired temp of 72 faster than just leaving it on 72 all the time. They defeated the auto feature! :rolleyes:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
61 Posts
Same thing

II kings 9:20 said:
My ac initially turned off everytime I turned the car off, then my buddy who had a recent Jeep told me to leave it on auto and the AC comes on when appropriate but the ac light does not illuminate in auto mode. After turning off the auto, the ac would then come on whenever I started the car which it never did before going to auto. Over a week or two I fiddled and now it is as new, car off =ac off which must be manually turned on unless in auto. I doubt this is a electrical problem I did not re read the climate section in the manual, If yoy have followed the manual closely then you indeed may have a problem.

I have posted elsewhere my experience with this, mine did it for 3 days, then returned to normal. I never use auto due to the high fan speed,
like to use a middle speed so I use manual.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,621 Posts
I always shut off my AC before turning off my Pontiac Bonneville SSEI, otherwise I will get a loud clunk when I next start the car. Maybe there is no real cause for concern, but it seems like leaving the AC on strains the engine during startup.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10 Posts
joey said:
I always shut off my AC before turning off my Pontiac Bonneville SSEI, otherwise I will get a loud clunk when I next start the car. Maybe there is no real cause for concern, but it seems like leaving the AC on strains the engine during startup.
most new cars have the ac compressor clutch disabled when you start the car, then after 2-3 seconds engages.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
437 Posts
dthoma2 said:
I've noticed a strange operation of the climate control system. When the control is in the vent position(not automatic), the a/c comes on when the car is started, even if it was not on when the car was last turned off. Has anyone else noticed this or is it an electrical bug?
Mine does the same thing. Maybe the system compares temp setting with actual temp and selects a/c if actual temp is higher than temp setting? Mine didn't do this in cooler weather, but now it's always been hotter than what I've had the temp set at. Maybe try setting temp higher before starting just to see if a/c stays off.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
170 Posts
arnoldw said:
Mine does the same thing. Maybe the system compares temp setting with actual temp and selects a/c if actual temp is higher than temp setting? Mine didn't do this in cooler weather, but now it's always been hotter than what I've had the temp set at. Maybe try setting temp higher before starting just to see if a/c stays off.
Humm. This sounds like the most plausible "answer" yet.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
365 Posts
arnoldw said:
Mine does the same thing. Maybe the system compares temp setting with actual temp and selects a/c if actual temp is higher than temp setting? Mine didn't do this in cooler weather, but now it's always been hotter than what I've had the temp set at. Maybe try setting temp higher before starting just to see if a/c stays off.
Arn, that is exactly what the system does IF you leave it on automatic. There are two sensors for this purpose, one just in front on the face of the control unit; the other is in that red thingie on the top center of the dash. Neither should be blocked.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
381 Posts
mileshoover said:
Arn, that is exactly what the system does IF you leave it on automatic. There are two sensors for this purpose, one just in front on the face of the control unit; the other is in that red thingie on the top center of the dash. Neither should be blocked.

One other thing. Never wipe the sensor near the climate controls with anything harsh. I've been told that if there are any smudges or scratches on it, it will not be accurate.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
437 Posts
;)
arnoldw said:
Mine does the same thing. Maybe the system compares temp setting with actual temp and selects a/c if actual temp is higher than temp setting? Mine didn't do this in cooler weather, but now it's always been hotter than what I've had the temp set at. Maybe try setting temp higher before starting just to see if a/c stays off.
Ok, I tried vent and turned both temps to max this morn. before startup. The a/c came on(amber light on). When I got to work I turned both temps up to max before shuttoff. When I started it after work the a/c stayed off, but then the next time I shut off and restarted it (I had reset temps to 21c, 70f) the a/c stayed off again! I thought it would come on the last time because it was hot out. I'm not really concerned about this however, as I usually run it in auto anyways. After owning this car for over 2 months and 3500 miles I must say it's one of the most exciting and interesting vehicles I've ever owned, even if it confuses me a little now and then! :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
365 Posts
Just set right knob on auto, on the left knob, select your desired auto fan speed and then set the individual front seat temperature settings. Be sure that your sensors are not blocked. It then should work properly. Dependent upon the interior/exterior temps, the compressor may or may not come on always, but it will when needed.

It it isn't cool enough, just move down the temp setting; vice versa if not warm enough. Dunno what could be simpler.

If it doesn't work as described, then you have a physical problem with the system and it needs dealer attention.

There is no need to shut off the system under normal circumstances. That's what the "automatic" part is for.
 
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Top