Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
CC has been working well with no issues but, on startup this morning, I noticed that it wasn't running, heating or cooling. It was 58 this morning in Texas, so it should have done something. :cool:
I haven't had time to look closely at it at work, but I did notice that the fan at least worked when I took it off Auto.
That's not much to go on, but I thought I'd throw out the question: What usually fails in these systems? Dash controls... or? God knows I know how the get the console, VES and dash panel out from having to replace the parking pawl/shifter lockout years ago...
It's been a great vehicle. Just turned over 81k miles and this is the first 'hiccup' in a while. I'll see how it does on the way home and I'll be able to know a bit more.
Will post any updates.
Anyway, thanks in advance...

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
CC has been working well with no issues but, on startup this morning, I noticed that it wasn't running, heating or cooling. It was 58 this morning in Texas, so it should have done something. :cool:
I haven't had time to look closely at it at work, but I did notice that the fan at least worked when I took it off Auto.
That's not much to go on, but I thought I'd throw out the question: What usually fails in these systems? Dash controls... or? God knows I know how the get the console, VES and dash panel out from having to replace the parking pawl/shifter lockout years ago...
It's been a great vehicle. Just turned over 81k miles and this is the first 'hiccup' in a while. I'll see how it does on the way home and I'll be able to know a bit more.
Will post any updates.
Anyway, thanks in advance...
I meant to say that I have the dual zone climate control if that matters here.

·
Registered
5 Posts
The automatic climate control works to only give warm air when it’s beneficial to you. The heating system pulls heat straight from the coolant and into the cabin, so on a 58° day, upon startup, your coolant will be roughly 60°. When the coolant is 60°, the car sees no point in blowing 60° air at your face as this will likely make you feel even more cold, so it waits until the coolant temperature reaches a certain point (maybe 90, 120, etc) and once the coolant gets hot it’ll start heating the cabin. Should only take about a minute or two for the coolant to warm up to 100 or so, depending on your engine size (bigger engine=more heat, especially with Hemis)

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The automatic climate control works to only give warm air when it’s beneficial to you. The heating system pulls heat straight from the coolant and into the cabin, so on a 58° day, upon startup, your coolant will be roughly 60°. When the coolant is 60°, the car sees no point in blowing 60° air at your face as this will likely make you feel even more cold, so it waits until the coolant temperature reaches a certain point (maybe 90, 120, etc) and once the coolant gets hot it’ll start heating the cabin. Should only take about a minute or two for the coolant to warm up to 100 or so, depending on your engine size (bigger engine=more heat, especially with Hemis)
Got it, thanks for the reply. No stranger to climate controls; last 3 Chryslers all had it. Have owned this vehicle since it was new. I understand the operating parameters (although not required to operate the vahicle, I am a retired engineer).
Something WAS strange about its behaviour that morning. But, of course, I don't recall what it was at the moment. I jumped the gun with my posting; should have waited to observe it later in the day.
Everything is normal now and probably was that day. :)
PS: Since you mentioned warm-up, one of the things it needed after its return from storage in Aspen was a thermostat, having put up a P0128 code. Even with the Hemi, it takes a while to come to temperature. But, that's not an issue, I just mentioned it in passing.
Many thanks!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts