Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello again everyone,
:repost: :feedback:
I originally posted inside another thread in General Discussion about A/C behavior, but I thought I would present it here as I need some feedback from other drivers. Please let me know if this behavior is expected/acceptable, or if I should press the dealership for some warranty work.

I have observed some odd behavior with my 2006 300C climate control:

In manual mode, when selecting a relatively high temperature, only cool air comes out of the front facing vents. Only when selecting max heat (red dot) will any heat come from these front vents (at which point it is an extreme ammount of heat).

Further investigation shows that if different air flow is selected (i.e. floor or defrost vents), the amount of heat being produced from those vents is consistent with the relative temperature setting. An interesting finding was that when I changed the air flow from defrost vents to the front vents, the air went from a correct, warm temperature through the defrost vents, to a very cold temperature through the front vents.

I have gone to my dealership about this issue, but they were not able to address it at that time (I had not done the last part of the testing yet - I will return with this update).

One last behavior that I have observed and I would like to know if anyone else has:
When using automatic mode on the climate control and changing to manual mode, the A/C light always comes on. I am assuming that this is because the climate control has automatically engaged the A/C. Should this be happenning even when I am trying to heat the interior up in automatic mode? Again, throughout this process, cold air is coming through the front vents.

Please reply with any information so that I can return to the dealership armed with more information.

Thank you ... Greg
:newbie:

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
OK, so I have been to the dealership, and although I am not completely pleased with the end result, I am satisfied with the mechanic I spoke to and the efforts put forward by the service department.

Bottom line - observed behavior is normal <enter grumble here>

The mechanic went to explain that the climate control system, even when in manual mode, is influenced by conditions both inside and outside the cabin. Essentially, if I have the sun shining down on me, and it's a moderately warm day, the climate control system won't put more heat into the cabin unless a fairly high temperature is selected.

In auto mode, I still belive that the A/C kicks in a bit early, but with temperatures starting to drop in the mornings, exiting from auto mode does not have the A/C light turn on.

The service deprtment went to far as to sit me in a new 2008 300C to drive around for 1/2 an hour to see if the climate control behaved the same way - and it did. I think that gesture was above what was required, and it was very much appreciated.

·
Banned
5,754 Posts
OK, so I have been to the dealership, and although I am not completely pleased with the end result, I am satisfied with the mechanic I spoke to and the efforts put forward by the service department.

Bottom line - observed behavior is normal <enter grumble here>

The mechanic went to explain that the climate control system, even when in manual mode, is influenced by conditions both inside and outside the cabin. Essentially, if I have the sun shining down on me, and it's a moderately warm day, the climate control system won't put more heat into the cabin unless a fairly high temperature is selected.

In auto mode, I still belive that the A/C kicks in a bit early, but with temperatures starting to drop in the mornings, exiting from auto mode does not have the A/C light turn on.

The service deprtment went to far as to sit me in a new 2008 300C to drive around for 1/2 an hour to see if the climate control behaved the same way - and it did. I think that gesture was above what was required, and it was very much appreciated.
tell your dealer to pull his head out of his ass and read the service manual..

I get HOT, blistering HOT air in manual or auto mode if I am all the way over in the red and it is 104 degrees outside in Sunny CA.. and FREEZING COLD when I was in the mountains and it was 30 degrees, if it was all the way in the blue

you need a BLEND DOOR calibration, ESP if you have the DUAL ZONE.

you blending door is stuck, or not opening/closing all the way..

my A/C did exactly what you described 8 months ago, dealer recalibrated it PER THE SERVICE MANUAL,

HVAC diagnostic and blend door calibration starts on page 24 - 1 of the SM..

not yelling at you mind you, just tired of hearing about dealers and their lazy, coomplete lack of service..

·
Premium Member
1,359 Posts
I have the same issue for about a year and a half- took car to dealership, and they said that there is nothing wrong (grumble grumble) as when I first got the car, all was well with climate control for about the first year. I cringe whenever I feel the need to visit a dealership.
Since then, the climate control unit's illumination has lost it's uniform green glow,(temperature problems still there) and has white light in some areas- not to mention that the illumination on the right half comes on and off- usually have to tap on it when I get in the car and start it. That along with other minor annoyances that are creeping up now past 52000 KM's. The vehicle is a lease, and If they don't fix this and other problems, I'm not keeping it as I planned.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts